WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2012

Options

Replies

• kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    BandedTriaRN: WTG! WTG! WTG!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: LOVE the photo and congratulations:flowerforyou:

Rose: So good to hear from you and thank you for sharing the lovely poem! Wow...very powerful! (I better not share this with DH right now, as he is feeling like that old man with his back issues and is very "down" about it all)

Amanda: LOVE your new profile pic with your darling grands:love: I am sure you are mistaken for their Mum when you are out with them. You look great!

Ruth: HAPPY Birthday:flowerforyou:

Raining, raining, raining here at the moment! So maybe I will get some more organizing done inside today....Pantry clean out? Lots of drawers to sort through....or sit and read a good book:happy: AFTER...my exercise, though!:happy:

DInner out last night: Had salmon and a nice beet salad with goat cheese...and yes, 2 glasses of very nice red wine...but didn't nibble on the bread or the dessert, so managed to stay under calories and enjoy some nice time out with some dear sweet friends who listened to DH talk about his painful back. I am trying to stay supportive and upbeat with him, but I am often at a loss of just what to do or say. I KNOW he hurts. Hope the surgeon will have enough time today to actually LISTEN to him and offer some suggestions. Last visit he was in such a hurry and didn't spend any time with DH. Very frustrating:grumble:

Have a great day, dear ladies!! :heart: Kackie
  • Sousanna
    Sousanna Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Keeping my commitment to report back in. Resisted the caramel slices, but one of the students made a special noodle dish and wanted me to try - I didn't have the heart to say no, so had some and skipped tea.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Plodding along and trying to stay focused.

Have a wonderful Wednesday all!

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
  • mom2boys75
    mom2boys75 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I'm at work so will have to make this quick.

Loved the poem Rose. I lost my Mom in August. She was quite elderly and in failing health and she had lived in a care facility for a couple of years. I live about an hour's drive away from the care center but I went to see her every Saturday. There were some weekends when I felt a little resentful about "having" to go see her; but now that she's gone, I'd give anything to still be making those drives every Saturday morning.

Hang in there Chiclet -- we had Hospice nurses for my Mom the last several months of her life and they were absolutely wonderful. I called them our "Earth Angels".

Congratulations to everyone who has lost weight and who has stuck to their goals so far this month.

My husband and I just tried a breakfast smoothie that's really good -- it's called a Green Smoothie. Very easy:

1-2 bananas
    1/2 cup of frozen peaches (no sugar added)
    1/2 cup of frozen mangos (no sugar added)
    a couple handfuls of spinach
    just enough water to blend

Put it all in a blender and blend it. You need a pretty good blender to get the spinach pureed -- I'd love to have a VitaMix, but just can't afford it right now. I have a Ninja and it works well getting everything blended.

I really like the smoothie, but with all the fruit (especially the bananas), there's a lot of sugar. I know it's natural sugar from the fruit, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that or not -- anybody know?

Have a great day!
    Shirley
  • LHudson53
    LHudson53 Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi, first off, I absolutely LOVED the poem. Very touching, and something for us to all remember.

Second, this sounds like a great group of women. I am 58, and am learning to eat all over again. For years I ate what I wanted, lots of junk food, and didn't worry about a thing. Now, I look at myself and know that I will never live to a ripe old age living like that, and have started a new lifestyle of eating healthy. Next on my agenda...for the month of June I want to start exercising more (couldn't hardly exercise any less!!!) I have started doing some exercise, but I need to really increase it. Here in Texas summer is really hot, so I am going to start with just walking on my treadmill at home and then add from there.

Good luck everyone, and God bless!
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Glad for another sunny Wednesday,

Kat- surprising your 90 yr old Aunt glad you were able to be there for that. It's always fun when a family gets together and they share stories to pass on to the younger generation, they need to know the family history.

jb- the quiche sounds wonderful:love:

rpphillip- enjoy your time at camp cooking:drinker:

Kackie- having a son that fixes breakfast:ohwell: I hear that my #2 Son fixes breakfast every Saturday for his wife and two sons...although I've never experienced it:laugh: So glad your dinner with the friends went well. Hope it uplifted your hubbys spirits and do hope the Dr is able to spend time with him and truly help him...6 wks is a long time with the healing appearing to go so slow:huh:

Amanda- the pic of you with the grandtwins...WOW they are getting big.:noway:

Jenni- what a wonderful day you had with your Mum & daughter, that's the way to build fond memories:flowerforyou:

Faye- so sorry about your root canal and the pain you are in:sick: hope it get corrected soon. Congrats to you DGS on completing his work for an Eagle Scout:flowerforyou: that's quite an accomplishment.

Rose- so happy for your loss:drinker: your hard work is paying off for sure. :heart: the poem was wonderful:heart:

Michele- sounds like you really mix up your breakfasts...can't say I do that much, I really like my egg protein in the morning it keeps me full for most of the morning. Sorry you stomach still feels yuck, but it's a good reminder of why you don't want that frosting:sick:

Bandied- Congrats on entering onderland:drinker:

Kathy- so glad it wasn't a heart attack your dad had, glad he's home now:flowerforyou:

Shirley- your smoothie sounds good, don't know about the natural sugars, but not sure if I could drink a smoothie that's green:sick:

LHudson- Welcome:flowerforyou: I hear you about eating what you wanted and realizing that it had to stop. I think it's a common thread in all of our society and we can only change ourselves. This is a great place to get the encouragment you need to keep going:drinker:

Nancy- we must have been posting at the same time. Safe travels as you head to your parents to help with your Dad, so sorry to hear about his fall :flowerforyou:

Today was my weigh in and no loss but no gain so I will call this the time that my skin is taking to adjust to the previous loss, it must take a bit longer for the skin to adjust since everything else takes so long at our age:wink: Wish there wasn't the issue of stretch marks but I remember reading that someone had considered them the marks of success so I'm going to grab onto that and call each one my "success marks"

Everyone have a good day. Let's all move our bodies, drink plenty of water:drinker: (it also helps the skin) and log your food.

Laura80111:smile:

PS changed my picture as you can see...what it says is She is holding a chip from a bag that says "Krunchy Stuff" and she is telling her friend " Each serving is 17 grams of Who Cares, 22 grams of Mind Your Own Business and 54 grams of Shut Up & Let me enjoy my food":wink:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all from the rain soaked Creston valley, :happy:

Thank you for all your breakfast suggestions. I’m going to shake things up (:laugh: pun intended) with a smoothie today.

The discussion about caring for elders is timely for me. The day I left the city last week my Dad (83) tipped is electric scooter over and cut his legs badly. He was well cared for at the site and in the hospital later. In the aftermath he’s pretty shaken up and my mother is completely occupied taking him to/from appointments. She’s feeling discouraged too.

I have three sisters, one lives about a 45 minute drive away, the others are in Vancouver, about 5 hours away. I’m 5 hours away in the other direction but I’m not working right now. I’m needed back in Kelowna, and I was putting it off until tomorrow, thinking I need to catch up on housekeeping I could not do when I was in the wheelchair. Reading your posts got me motivated – and reminded me of my priorities. It’s back to Kelowna today after my workout at the gym, home on Saturday. I’ll take my 10 lb dumbbells with me this time, and go to the pool with my mother when she swims.

Kat, your description of how to begin a surprise party for a 90 year old made me giggle. The careful “Hi!” instead of the loud "Surprise!"

Amanda, that’s a lovely picture of you and the grand-twins. :love: I watched a bit of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations on TV, looked like quite a party. Not too much rain!

Sousanna, your words for “carers” came just in time for me, as you read above. Thanks. Glad to hear your tea went well and you resisted the caramel slices.

Jenni, I hope you got a picture of the 3 generation manicure! :happy:

Rose/Laure, your walk/run up and down the septic mound sounds like a private boot camp! :explode: Well done. Thanks for the poem.

Barbiecat, I miss your long posts, but I can picture you out there with the dogs and that’s even better.

Congratulations BandedTriaRN!

Must get packing, talk to you tomorrow from the big city

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

Goals for June:
    At least 4 aqua fit classes - something new to shake up the routine.
    24 hours of exercise including weight training
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
  • rpphillip
    rpphillip Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies how are you all doing ?:smile:

well it is only 5 more day to go befor summer camp! :smile: After work to day I am going over to pick up grandson and granddaughter to stay the night since I will be gone all next week and grandson ( Jacob) will not be going to camp. He wanted to spend the night Sat, but I knew that I would be doing last minute stuff for the trip to camp and also will be going to watch one of my neices Installation of Honored Queen Elect and her court of officers in the Jobs Daughters . It is a beautiful ceremony.

speaking of beautiful , I love the poem, it brought a tear to my eyes as well.:flowerforyou: Thank You for sharing it with us. I take care of my mom also, we have a in-laws quarters bulit on to our house so she has her own place but I can be near if she need me, and I take her to her dr. appointments, shoping etc.. I have 6 Brothers and one sister, and they do help some, but most of it falls on me as I am the oldst girl and my sister has bi poler and has trouble of her own. when ever she is sick I am her main care giver. My mom is 76. She also has atrial fib but no difib, as the rate is not that fast and she takes blood thiners, also high blood pressuer and diabetic . she get around ok but get s worn out easy ,and I have noticed she has slow down a lot in the past year or so. It dose make me sad if I think on it to long. My Mom has always been the backbone of our familey and push her self when others would have given up. I love her and just can't imagine not having her around, but know that some day as many of my friends have already had parents die so will I.

Sorry to get all melancholy:ohwell: On a happy note I think I will try the Nacho Salad to night and thank you Rose for posting it , it sounds yummmy!:bigsmile:

Micheal : I don't know how you do it all! You are amazing!

Banded tria RN : Yahoooo! Onederland! Congrats. You did it!!::happy:

Kathy : so happy to hear your Dad is better and you all are home and congrats on staying on track though it all!:bigsmile:

Kackie: sounds like you had a nice time out and a much needed brake!:drinker: Hope you DH is feeling better soon.

better go now so have a wonderful day ladies:flowerforyou:
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Laura & Rpphilip: Thank you so much for your kind wishes for my DH. I appreciate it.:flowerforyou:

Shirley: I meant to comment earlier about your Plateau frustration. I really do think water can be an issue. I am not sure why it makes such a difference, but it does. I hope that is just what you need to get the scale moving down again. At least you know your exercise is where it should be...try adding something different once or twice a week maybe. I have found that my body adjusts to what I am doing very quickly and requires a change in order to "let go" of extra weight. It is frustrating, but I am sure you will have success. BTW, your smoothy sounds great. I finally broke down and bought a Vitamix when I found it at Costco. I do love it and make smoothies for DH pretty often. I do not worry about fruit sugars but have learned I need to combine them with a little protein...say a few nuts...so that the sugar doesn't make me too hungry later. One suggestion to try...instead of one of the bananas, try a cup of non-fat plain greek yogurt...that is what I use and find it gives me the protein I need and is more nutritious. I am going to try the spinach with mine next time. I use frozen strawberries (unsweetened) often too. Take care!

Bye again:-):heart: Kackie
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening everyone, I work in a nursing home and see the sadness in the resident's eyes and this poem hit home for me. I am so glad you all liked it. :smile: I was a little bad today and ate a twice baked potato so I did an extra 20 minutes on the bike to work it off. I am exhausted :yawn: and think I will go to bed. Everyone have a great evening, Rose:drinker:
  • ccurl62
    ccurl62 Posts: 2
    Options
    Joining the 50 club in August. Love reading all the posts, very motivating.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: This is my super busy active day. Besides walking my dogs for two hours in the morning and going to line dance class, I met a friend in the afternoon for a walk for over an hour and another friend came over after supper and we walked for almost an hour and in between I worked in the yard and walked the dogs again.

:flowerforyou: Kathy(plantlady), thanks for the update on your dad. He is so fortunate to have you there for him the way you are…..it’s good that you’re taking care of yourself. The healthier you are, the more balanced you’ll be for your dad.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, staying away from bread and dessert in a restaurant is a major victory…..there’s probably nothing you can say to your hubby beyond “I love you” so keep on doing that. This is an opportunity for spiritual growth for him.

:flowerforyou: Shirley, fruit in moderation is a very healthy choice

:flowerforyou: LHudson, finding a way to exercise indoors in bad weather is a great step in the right direction….I don’t have a treadmill, but I have some great exercise DVD’s

:bigsmile: Amanda, that is a beautiful picture of you and the grandtwins……I can’t decide who is more beautiful, you or the children.

:flowerforyou: Nancy, what a blessing that you are off work and able to go to Kelowna and care of your parents. Naturally you would take your dumbbells with you----you have your priorities in order.

:flowerforyou: Rpphillip, you have your hands full with mom and all the grandkids…..you do an amazing job of coping with everybody and still finding time for yourself.

:heart: Rose, thank you for the lovely poem.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,139 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies!

It's late, so I'll be brief and get to bed soon! After my very lazy day yesterday, today I put in a good long one -- everything from a meeting on one of my projects to some intense library time, turning in overdue expense claims at work (being on leave is rough on the paperwork inspiration!), walking, and a great session in the gym with my wonderful trainer. I see her once a month to keep things going forward and shake up muscles we haven't shaken up enough -- she is fabulous! Tiny, but tough (she plays rugby and can't weigh much more than 110!). I think the stuff she is getting me to do will help even more than the physiotherapist for the hip/knee argument one of my legs is having. Feels good.

Sounds like lots of you are having rain, but we finally got a sunny day today after many, many rainy ones. I wish the same for you!

Parent visits, love, and worries, scale victories, exercise, good eating and water -- all of your news is filled with great inspiration and I thank each and every one of you.

Good night!
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hello all love the poem made me sob like I mean crocodile tears sob but it was beautiful Thank you for sharing. All this talk about hospice and caring for the elderly makes me miss my Dad he was in a hospice center for the last week of his life and they were so wonderful to us all I was there with my sister and Mom when he drew his last breath and I am so grateful for that. I have been there for 3 other of my loved ones and I hope when my time comes some one will have the courage to be there with me if they choose to any way I am blessed to still have my Mom and so far she is very independent which again we are so grateful for

I have been busy so far this month and have not had a chance to read all the posts but I do welocome all the new people and am so excited to be apart of this group best support any where

My back is healing slowly well slowly in my eyes but I did get to work out with Chris today and it was great to be back at it again
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    banded - your cats are so beautiful. Congrats on the loss!

Kathy - I'll keep your dad in my prayers. Which medicine is he on?

Laura - you're so right, my "yukky" feeling stomach was a good reminder of why I don't want that icing, I gave it to the soup kitchen yesterday. They were very glad to get it, and I was very glad to get it out of the house! At Mexican train yesterday a lady gave me some rolls to take there, so I'll probably go tomorrow then stop and make a donation at the Salvation Army (and probably do some shopping there, too)

Tomorrow for breakfast I think I'll have these chicken nuggets, haven't had them in a while. Going to do the Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights DVD

Right now I'm making more of those chocolate bran muffins. On another note: one food store by me is going to close and I'm trying to find someone else who carries or can at least special order the items that I could only get there.

Sousanna - good job on resisting, but I know how it is, it's really hard to tell the kids that you really don't want to try what they made only because you're watching your weight.

Rose - sometimes you just gotta have that twice baked potato. Good for you compenmsating. If you hadn't had it, you probably would have regretted it and then binged. Thanks for the lovely poem

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I finally got to onederland this morning! I am so happy!!!! Weighed in just under 200lbs at 199.6. I'm hoping to lose 40-50 more depending on how I look and feel! My next mini goal is to get to a BMI of under 30!

keep logging
    keep losing till I am slender
    try to exercise as my injury and disability will allow me!
    try to keep positive
    HitOnederlandJune52012.jpg

:bigsmile: Yay!!!!!! And I love those socks!!!!!
    Love Kat:heart::heart:
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I totally have come through the plateau/slow down to almost nothing weight loss that I was having and now I'm down to 198.6 from 199.6 yesterday. I know that I won't keep this up forever but I hope to get another 20 lbs off before another slow down (I'm starting the 17 day diet which says it makes plateaus less likely). I would be so happy to lose 10 lbs or so in 17 days starting on Monday!

SO my goal is to get down to 197.6 in the next few days and to begin the 17 Day diet on Monday.
    To continue eating well
    To get my thyroid evaluated by an endocrinologist on my appointment on July 17th (earliest we could get an appointment and praying she doesn't cancel on us like 2 others have more than one time each!).
    To continue exercising lightly and try to do a little bat wing exercising and some easy exercises that I found on dlife.com for my thighs and buttocks! If anyone wants an older friend, add me but send me a message saying "50plus" or something so I know who you are. I really would love to have more older friends!
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Heres me and my 90 year old Auntie Esther at her Surprise party!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Thursday evening and its been a good day so far. Now at work and sneaking in some MFP time not sure if its worth the stress level I am feeling. How do the young ones do this and not give a care in the world. Its quiet and all my work is done I just have to sit here till the next session begins.
    My daughter and I did an xtend barre class together last night and had a lovely walk through the gardens today. Not a fast sweaty walk. This walk was gentle and beautiful and refreshed our spirit.
    We have both eaten healthy foods and plan to walk back to her unit tonight, weather permitting. It is cold thats ok so long as it doesn't rain. We have a light festival on and we can walk past most of the exhibits on the way home.

:heart: katiejarr I love the photo of you and your auntie.

Happy healthy living everyone.

Jenni in Sydney, Australia
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies

Will have to have a proper catch up read later as I'm busy at work today. That's the problem with having a few days off - the work doesn't magically do itself!

I hope everyone is well and coping with the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. Life is always richer and more colourful after a storm, something we all need to remember on the dark and cloudy days.

Well, a typing I must go! Speak to you soon.

Love to all.
    Amanda x