Is this common sense? Running outside >>>>> treadmill

Options
1235»

Replies

• brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    QUOTE:
    Ok, don't laugh, but I like the treadmill because the bathroom is fifteen feet away. I love running outside, but it SUCKS when that problem arises and there isn't a 7-11 for miles. And sometimes you just can't go behind a tree, if you know what I mean.
    ___

What do you mean, you just can't go behind a tree? Of course you can! I guess that's a good thing about living in the country, plenty of privacy. Only the cows know....
    ___

Well, to be blunt, I wasn't talking about "peeing".
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    running for pleasure...definitely outside!

running for a workout...definitely on a treadmill.

Why? What's your logic?
  • cutethang1
    cutethang1 Posts: 239 Member
    Options

This!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Why? What's your logic?

The constant having to stop to cross streets or wait for cars to pass or other pedestrians/dog walkers can interfere with the consistency of your workout leading to less calorie burn over the same time of running. If you don't have to deal with these things that's fine, it just means you don't live in an urban environment. But to people who have to deal with these things, a treadmill means the difference between being able to get on and just go without having to constantly stop.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Why? What's your logic?

The constant having to stop to cross streets or wait for cars to pass or other pedestrians/dog walkers can interfere with the consistency of your workout leading to less calorie burn over the same time of running. If you don't have to deal with these things that's fine, it just means you don't live in an urban environment. But to people who have to deal with these things, a treadmill means the difference between being able to get on and just go without having to constantly stop.

Okay, fair enough. I don't have to contend with those fits and starts. Carry on treadmill warrior. :happy:
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Why? What's your logic?

Okay, fair enough. I don't have to contend with those fits and starts. Carry on treadmill warrior. :happy:

Oh I don't do the treadmill. I hate it with a passion because I dislike the idea of going in a straight line and plus I have a tendency to fall off of it (laugh all you want). I like the idea of constantly changing direction and rebounding off of obstacles parkour-style. But because I do have to contend with those things where I live, I'd rather just not run at all than reduce myself to running on a treadmill. It simply is not viable as a means of exercise in my (or any) urban neighborhood due to the inconsistency you will get dealing with the things I mentioned. So I choose to find other, non-running means of cardio.

I don't much like the idea of distance running anyway. I prefer doing things that require bursts of high intensity than long duration, more moderate intensity. I enjoy the physical sensation of having to generate explosive force with parts of my body. I do not enjoy just "running" but I love sprinting, for instance. Anything I can maintain for more than a minute without having to pause to catch my breath and take a rest is something I have a difficult time doing. I just don't enjoy moderate intensity exercise. It's balls-out, high-intensity or nothing at all for me.
  • cameralinds
    cameralinds Posts: 239
    Options
    I feel like whichever one you are used to, the other will be more difficult.

I started running on a treadmill - went outside and it was difficult.

A few months later, on a rainy day, I tried running on a treadmill and it was hard. Hard on my joints, psyche, etc.

They each work different muscles.

I'm an outdoor runner all the way. I'm lucky enough to have outside places that aren't too packed with cars, but I love the adrenaline of almost being hit by a car... it fuels the run.. :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just had to come here and say- I've recently started running again. This time, though, since I can't afford a gym atm, I've been running outside

WOW, it's a ton harder. I encourage anyone who runs, to actually hit the pavement. You'll find a much more challenging experience

That's so interesting, I find the treadmill much harder than I do running outside.
  • lbmore33
    lbmore33 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    the one great advantage that the treadmill offers is this...if you are tired the stop button is right at your finger tips...as much as running outside is therapeutic...if your are tired no matter where you are...or how far you run...it's a long back to where you started...lol
  • TaraLoftin105
    Options
    I've been told that if you run on a tredmil with an incline of 2.0 its the equivalent to running on pavement. This should help with the transition from inside to outside running.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options

Why? What's your logic?

There are PLENTY of people that live in an urban area and don't need to contend with these things (myself included). Find a canal, park, trail, anything and you won't have to deal with this stuff. Plus running outside is a bloody amazing workout and you usually burn A LOT more than on a treadmill.
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers person, I like the treadmill because I can 'see' the progress in digital sticks that tell me the how far, how long and how high...

... but I hate making myself go to the gym some days, so I'm more than happy to strap on my shoes and take off like a goofy antelope around the neighborhood.

If you have a smartphone, there is an app for that...map my run~~ Awesome for numbers people and it gives you voice feedback while you go! AWESOME!! I use map my walk, and that would work also.
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Running inside feels like a waste of time to me when it's summer/spring. But those cold winter mornings on the treamill can be nice too :)
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Why? What's your logic?

There are PLENTY of people that live in an urban area and don't need to contend with these things (myself included). Find a canal, park, trail, anything and you won't have to deal with this stuff. Plus running outside is a bloody amazing workout and you usually burn A LOT more than on a treadmill.

I don't know what you mean by Urban Environment but where I live we don't have any of those things, at least not until you get a decent ways outside of the city. Our "parks" are nothing more than playgrounds. Not until you get outside of the city again.
  • beccci91
    Options

Why? What's your logic?

I don't know what you mean by Urban Environment but where I live we don't have any of those things, at least not until you get a decent ways outside of the city. Our "parks" are nothing more than playgrounds. Not until you get outside of the city again.

What I mean by Urban environment is the middle of the city centre of Edinburgh, Scotland.
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Made me think of my neighbour who put his treadmill in his backyard. So funny to see him run on it outside.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

What I mean by Urban environment is the middle of the city centre of Edinburgh, Scotland.

What about Holyrood Park? Less than a mile from the city center and there is a loop that looks like you could do uninterrupted mile repeats. Queen Street Gardens? The Meadows?

Just a quick look at a Google Map makes it look like there are tons of options.

ETA: West Street Gardens appears to have tons of paths in it.
  • beccci91
    Options

What about Holyrood Park? Less than a mile from the city center and there is a loop that looks like you could do uninterrupted mile repeats. Queen Street Gardens? The Meadows?

I don't think you read what I said. I am saying that EDINBURGH DOES HAVE A LOT OF PARKS AND OPEN SPACES.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I am an outside runner- all the way . . . and an early morning outside runner to boot! I live in the northeast so winters involve some gloves/sweatshirts/hats/etc when I run but I can't imagine running inside on a treadmill. I always preplan my routes and I make sure there are hills involved- so that takes care of my hill intervals. I will also speed train by changing pace for a certain amount of time, etc. I know where each mile marker is so I calculate my pace as I go. I feel like I can get everything a treadmill offers outside and I LOVE running outside. I love the jumping over, running around, ducking under nature of running outside. And yes I love trail running too!

I agree whatever gets you moving though
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I don't think you read what I said. I am saying that EDINBURGH DOES HAVE A LOT OF PARKS AND OPEN SPACES.

Easy there, no need to shout. My bad. I got confused in the cluster of quotes. Yes, it sure does and it looks like a great place to run.