Drinking alcohol

Replies

• FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Love beer 2...I fit it in my plan and it works for me, lost all my weight and kept it off a year, while still enjoying beer regularly:-)
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Love LOVE love wine. In fact, I love drinking a glass or two on the weeknights when I get home from work. Plus I drink mixed drinks and/or beer socially on the weekends while out to eat with friends or hanging out in the shop. :drinker:

I figured that as much as I love drinking wine after I get home from work, I'm trying to make it a "treat" and limit it to once or maybe twice a week. I've actually figured out I like sipping on herbal tea in the evenings almost as much as I like sipping on wine. It even feels somewhat like a treat when I drink it... but at ZERO calories!
  • skruger22
    skruger22 Posts: 75 Member
    Haha! I like the concept of beer being liquid bread- they are two of my downfalls as well. I live in a super beer town, and it's hard not to have plans based around it. I've never really been successful in losing any weight if I'm still drinking anything alcoholic- HOWEVER, this past week I've been trying to compensate with more exercise, and just having AH beer instead of 3-ish, and I think I've actually lost a pound (for the first time in a LONG time) so yay! My advice is - hmm... let me think about what my advice is. I guess, if you're serious about losing weight, I'd cut out the beer completely for a while. Then bring it back in slowly once you reach your goal. However, if you can't cut it out completely, then limit it to certain days of the week, and certain amounts at a time. And if you still can't limit it, then maybe beer is more important than weight loss. It's about priorities, I'm finding out unfortunately.
    But this site really helps with encouragement and ideas and support, so keep checking in! Also, I find that as long as I'm drinking SOMETHING when I'm out with friends, it doesn't matter if it's alcoholic or not- so bring your own sparkling water, or have a bartender pour you a soda water with lime- then it looks fancy, has a satisfying bubble to it, but no calories! (wait, does soda water have no calories? whatever it is- sparkling water, diet soda every now and again- just something to sip on)
    Good luck! It's hard, but it's worth it! :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Ok - those who are acting like this person has a problem because they can't NOT drink... that's ridiculous and unsupportive and just don't reply. It's called a social life... I completely understand. One of my weaknesses is that during the week I am on a very strict diet and then on the weekends when my boyfriend and I go out to dinner or drinks with friends, music festivals, family bbq's, etc. the drinks add up and the next thing you know, it's Monday and your calorie intake the past 2-3 days has set you back!! I think it is just really important to log those drinks into MFP and really stick to them. If you know ahead of time you are going to a specific restaurant and you will have two glasses of cab - log it and then really stick to it. Also, my friends and I have researched trying to find the lowest calorie drinks... bloody marys, vodka soda with a lemon and lime, bacardi and diet...It is really hard... I know ! You have a goal you want to achieve but you also want to have a good time and live life. Good luck!!

If a person absolutely can't be in a social setting without drinking alcohol, there is a problem. If a person can't stop after just one or two drinks, there is a problem.

The key to losing weight while still enjoying life is moderation. If, for whatever reason, moderation doesn't work, certain things need to be eliminated from the diet.

And, not drinking isn't really that difficult. Pregnant women give up alcohol all the time. It's not the end of the world. It doesn't ruin a person's social life. Drinking isn't the only way to enjoy friends and life.
  • Jflowwers
    Jflowwers Posts: 137 Member
    I hardly think she has a drinking problem, people. I would just reserve it for a couple nights a week.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    If you cannot stop yourself from drinking one after another after another, you will not lose weight. Not sure what you want, but I can't give you self-control
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    My only big problem is when I drink even just 1 or 2 I want to eat ****ty greasy bad for me food.... That really doesn't help :(
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    Yeah, this is why I gained weight. Two or more beers a night and then some more on the weekend can really ruin your awesome bod. Sad but true. You will have to stop if you want to lose weight. Once you get closer to your goal you can reward yourself occassionally but that's about it.
  • katharineshalia
    katharineshalia Posts: 243 Member
    I hardly think she has a drinking problem, people. Having a few beers does not qualify as being a Alcoholic.

I liked your unedited post better :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I hardly think she has a drinking problem, people. Having a few beers does not qualify as being a Alcoholic.

I liked your unedited post better :)
    me too!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I drink beer. I lost weight. I've kept a low BF% without giving up my beer.

Some weeks I may have 1-2 beers for the entire week. Others I may have 1-2 a night for hte entire week. Sometimes I may go a couple weeks without a single beer.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    So I tend to drink a lot of my calories back in beer. Are there other people out there that have that problem? That is probably the main reason I am not losing as much weight as I could be. I try really hard not to drink but then I have a beer, and another, and another....what are other people doing to control this?

They are empty calories. And yes, its a good chance it's the reason you aren't losing. Alcohol is a toxin and your body will stop metabolize in order to eliminate the alcohol from the body. You just need to get rid of alcohol from your house. And maybe leave your drivers license in the car when you go to restaurants.

A calorie is a calorie. Beer is empty calories because you don't get nutrition with your calories, which is true of almost all caloric beverages. Milk and vegetable juices can be excepted from this, but almost all beverages with calories are empty calories. Your body will not "stop metabolize [sic] in order to eliminate the alcohol from the body." It will go right on burning calories. If beer is the cause of his not losing weight, it's because he's consuming more calories, NOT because alcohol magically makes him stop metabolizing food. Beer tends to have a lot of calories per serving.
  • FitLink
    As much as I hated to admit it too, I can't drink and lose weight as quickly. Even if I "save" calories for alcohol my body just doesn't respond as well. Like a previous poster said it is a toxin so your body tries to metabolize it first. So I personally really have had to limit my consumption to the weekend or special events!

Good luck, take it a day at a time!

"...metabolize it first..." Even if that were true (and it's not), why would it matter? If I eat 20,000 calories this week and I burn 23,500, I'll lose a pound, no matter in what order the calories were burned. This stuff isn't magic, it's math. Calories are calories. No matter what they come from.
  • FitLink
    Ok - those who are acting like this person has a problem because they can't NOT drink... that's ridiculous and unsupportive and just don't reply. It's called a social life... I completely understand. One of my weaknesses is that during the week I am on a very strict diet and then on the weekends when my boyfriend and I go out to dinner or drinks with friends, music festivals, family bbq's, etc. the drinks add up and the next thing you know, it's Monday and your calorie intake the past 2-3 days has set you back!! I think it is just really important to log those drinks into MFP and really stick to them. If you know ahead of time you are going to a specific restaurant and you will have two glasses of cab - log it and then really stick to it. Also, my friends and I have researched trying to find the lowest calorie drinks... bloody marys, vodka soda with a lemon and lime, bacardi and diet...It is really hard... I know ! You have a goal you want to achieve but you also want to have a good time and live life. Good luck!!

Um, the OP said that they have a beer, then they have another, and another and can't stop themselves. That's actually pretty much the definition of a problem. You don't have to get blind drunk every time you dink to have a dependency. If you require a 6 pack to have a good time, you have a drinking problem.

"Drinking problem" has no real meaning. "Alcohol Abuse" has a meaning and it is:
    DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Alcohol Abuse

1. A maladaptive pattern of alcohol abuse leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by one or more of the following, occurring within a 12-month period:

a) Recurrent alcohol use resulting in failure to fulfil major role obligations at work, school, or home (e.g., repeated absences or poor work performance related to substance use; substance-related absences, suspensions or expulsions from school; or neglect of children or household).
    b) Recurrent alcohol use in situations in which it is physically hazardous (e.g., driving an automobile or operating a machine).
    c) Recurrent alcohol-related legal problems (e.g., arrests for alcohol-related disorderly conduct).
    d) Continued alcohol use despite persistent or recurrent social or interpersonal problems caused or exacerbated by the effects of the alcohol (e.g., arguments with spouse about consequences of intoxication or physical fights).

2. These symptoms must never have met the criteria for alcohol dependence.

"Alcohol Dependence" has a definition, and it is:
    DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Alcohol Dependence

A maladaptive pattern of alcohol use, leading to clinically significant impairment or distress, as manifested by three or more of the following seven criteria, occurring at any time in the same 12-month period:

1. Tolerance, as defined by either of the following:

a) A need for markedly increased amounts of alcohol to achieve intoxication or desired effect.
    b) Markedly diminished effect with continued use of the same amount of alcohol.

2. Withdrawal, as defined by either of the following:

a) The characteristic withdrawal syndrome for alcohol (refer to DSM-IV for further details).
    b) Alcohol is taken to relieve or avoid withdrawal symptoms.

3. Alcohol is often taken in larger amounts or over a longer period than was intended.

4. There is a persistent desire or there are unsuccessful efforts to cut down or control alcohol use.

5. A great deal of time is spent in activities necessary to obtain alcohol, use alcohol or recover from its effects.

6. Important social, occupational, or recreational activities are given up or reduced because of alcohol use.

7. Alcohol use is continued despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent physical or psychological problem that is likely to have been caused or exacerbated by the alcohol (e.g., continued drinking despite recognition that an ulcer was made worse by alcohol consumption).

We don't have enough information to say if the OP has a "problem" with alcohol abuse or dependence.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Fitlink, your avator is the shiz.

That is all
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Yup! I know what you mean! Beer goes down nice and easy- rarely do I want just one. If I open a bottle of wine, especially a nice Pinot or Cab- forget it, my night is shot. What I've done is limit myself to alcohol only on Fridays and Saturdays (sometimes a bloody Mary on Sunday if I'm feeling the effects of the previous night), move my workouts to a later time in the evening and when I get home, I cook dinner ans shower. By the time that is all done it's too late for drinks.

You don't sound like an alcoholic, but it does sound like it may be a habit. My husband, mom, best friend and at one pint, myself have all been habitual drinkers, where it wasn't ruling our lives but it did become the norm to come home and crack a beer or pour a glass of wine.-All it took was a few nights off and suddenly the habit of reaching for a beer stops. And it makes the mornings easier too- I'm getting to a point where I can feel even one or two drinks in the AM. Good luck sweetie!
  • jackt24
    jackt24 Posts: 2
    I drink heavily 2 nights a week - but I just stick to vodka and diet coke/lemonade.

Ive lost 15 pounds in 3 and a half weeks doing this, so its working for me.

I know that alcohol is supposed to slow your metabolism, but the way i see it is - 5 days a week im a picture of healthy eating and exercise, then for 2 nights I drink low calorie alcohol drinks (maintaining exercise which is only every 20-30 minutes jogging).

You dont need to stop drinking, you just need to stop drinking beer, stick to spirits and diet mixers, and only get smashed about twice a week :) Its working brilliantly for me.
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    So I tend to drink a lot of my calories back in beer. Are there other people out there that have that problem? That is probably the main reason I am not losing as much weight as I could be. I try really hard not to drink but then I have a beer, and another, and another....what are other people doing to control this?

Know fully how you feel. On normal week I would drink baout 12 beers every evening, the only way I can do it with diet is I have to quite drinking, otherwise I am too tempted to finish the pack...I am even craving it as I am writing this. This is Day 3 for me with no booze, it's diffucult but I want to lose all this weight and be free from my need for beer.

I recommend finding something to keep you busy so you won't have to think much about beer. Have maybe 1 or 2 as reward once in a while or at social event but otherwise it's best to quite, it's way too easy to fall of the wagon when you have beer around.
    Omg I am litterally talking myself out of the thought of buying any beer, my mind really badly wants to get a twelve pack after work, but I am going to battle it :devil:
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    1-3 alcoholic beverages per day, along with exercise, is an essential component of my cardioprotective regime.
  • Ironman2be
    Ironman2be Posts: 140 Member
    You're either happy where you are, and choose to drink a few beers every night and maintain (like me) Or you want to get in better shape and say no to the beer.

I quit cold turkey for almost a year while i lost 100 lbs...after i hit my goal, and now that it's summertime.. man i love me some cold beers after a long workout!