The Wife

Options

Replies

• ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I personally dont like it, but to each their own, if she doesnt mind about it.. well I think its cool.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Side note - they recently got divorced - forgot to mention that.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I refer to my boyfriend as "boyfriend" or "the boyfriend"
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I refer to my wife as "The Boss."

But she's only the boss because I let her.
    (And she beats me. Help me.)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I have a friend who refers to her now husband as "the boy". It's just how she addresses him when speaking about him to others, she doesn't mean it as demeaning, I guess with them it's some pet name or nickname or something.

If I got married and my husband referred to me to others as "the wife" I don't think I'd care. At least he'd have the guts to admit he's married and to me.

Lots of people use terms like "my old lady" or "ball and chain" and others and it's really in jest even if it's meant as a less than endearing joke. As the song goes, "the more you love someone the more you want to kill them."
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My Mr. calls me "The Wife" or just "Wife" even "Babe" or "Baby". Same way I call him "My Mr.", "Husband", "Babe", etc.

When in public & we want to mess with people we refer to each other as "person I'm married to"! Always gets an odd response as people think that is said in a derogatory way when we actually mean it affectionately!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Looks like she's got a new name. "The Alimony."
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The wife, the wrench, the toaster, the ball game - apparently she's not too special.

Me on the other hand, my wife; Mary Anne is the best thing that ever happened to me in this life! But I just call her the queen, because she's royalty in my house.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter to you? It really is about her and how she feels. 99% of the time, I called my late bride... My Bride.
  • SingerJennXXXX
    Options
    I refer to mine as "The Ex"...is that offensive?

I refer to mine as "The D-bag"...offensive? Yes? No? :tongue:
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Through social networks such as this, or during a conversation I will refer to her as "wifey", like she may use the term "hubby". Except for close, personal friends and family, no one needs to know our names or our business.
  • jcriscuolo
    Options

Looks like she's got a new name. "The Alimony."

:laugh:
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I would rather be called "the wife" than "the old lady" :mad:
  • LifeChangingExp
    Options
    Nope wouldnt bother me as long as hes not bothered when i refer to him as "the d*ck".
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It depends. I suppose for some people it's an affectionate nickname.

Or he's proud of being married and likes the word "wife" so that's his way of bragging.

Lots of people refer to their spouse as "my hubby" or "the wife" rather than by the person's name for clarification. That's different.

But if people know the spouse, then it would be nicer, in my opinion, to refer to the person by name or the person's real nickname and not a role or title.

To each his/her own ...
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think it is offensive and disrespectful to her. It would upset me if my husband did that more than every once in a great while. It depersonalizes his wife. He should use her name or at least say "MY wife", which is perfectly fine. The term 'the wife' makes it sound like she is a thing, a possession.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's just fun in my opinion. But some women are more sensitive than others. I say the husband all the time in forums but at work everyone knows my husband'ss name.
  • jcriscuolo
    Options
    Why does it matter to you? It really is about her and how she feels. 99% of the time, I called my late bride... My Bride.

It just seems very disconnected or even demeaning.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My husband refers to me as "my wife" to his family and friends. They know me. They know my name. I'm not sure if he does that because he knows I hate my name, but it's weird. I only call him "my husband" on places like MFP where no one knows him. Otherwise, I use his name.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    My husband calls me "Bug", I think when he goes to introduce me to people he actually has to think of what my name is. That is the only time he uses my real name. For me I don't think I would like being called "the wife".