The Wife

Options

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I was "the wife" for most of my marriage. I took offense to it for the first 2 or 3 years, then I just ignored it. Don't think it's really meant to be offensive though...course that depends on the person saying it obviously.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I would prefer being called: SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED OR SWMBO....but that will never happen!:drinker:
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I think it says a lot about the level of respect he has for her. I can't imagine my Husband constantly referring to me as "the wife" and he doesn't refer to me as a ball and chain either. Then again he's my best friend.

Ditto!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
  • frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    While my husband doesn't call me this in public, his sister does, and they both have it programmed in their phones, and my son wants to know why when mommy calls it says "Dirty Slut *kitten*"

Its totally all in fun. If they said it in a business setting, I suppose I'd have to kill one of them...
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    My husband refers to me as "the wife" or "the ol' lady". I don't mind at all.
  • stratusofkiser
    stratusofkiser Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If I was married I would call my wife ...wifey....

My husband calls me wifey. When he calls me baby I call him boy. lol. It all depends on how "the wife" feels about the title.
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    I have my wife listed in my cell phone as "The Wife". I had to change it to that when I got my Ford Sync because it just couldn't understand her real name. It's a really simple old fashion name too. But it understands "Call the wife".
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    That's what my husband has me as in his cell phone! :laugh: He often calls me "his old lady," though. It sounds stupid to me, but I don't care.
  • markyp33
    markyp33 Posts: 25
    Options
    My wife's name is Gretchnold Wartbottom so I call her 'me B***h', just to keep it simple. If she could speak English I'm sure she would understand ........
  • rasp12
    rasp12 Posts: 17
    Options
    I'm known as "THE OLD LADY" lol i don't mind it

I was 21 and DH 23 when we got married. DH was so pleased and excited and told me that he now "had his own ole lady". He had heard it growing up all around him in very positive terms so for me it was and is a very loving and respectful name.
    Like so much else, it is in the eyes or ears of the beholder.
  • Zkinkel
    Zkinkel Posts: 13
    Options
    I am pretty sensitive and I don't really think thats bad... depends on how he uses it... as long as it is in good humore it can be kind of cute!
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I have like 27 different things I call my husband. None of which are his name.

I have no clue what he calls me to his friends.

Meh.

We have a good relationship so it wouldn't bother me.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband calls me "Bug", I think when he goes to introduce me to people he actually has to think of what my name is. That is the only time he uses my real name. For me I don't think I would like being called "the wife".
    LOL, I call both of my golden retrievers Bug as an endearing nickname.

The only time my soon to be ex would refer to me as The Wife, was when he was trying to use me as an excuse to get out of something. Like, "I'd like to help you with that, but The Wife says she needs me to _____ instead". Or "I would love to go, but The Wife doesn't want to" when it's actually him who doesn't want to go.

One of the many reasons he is a soon to be ex.
  • BatWoman2012
    Options
    I know someone who refers to his wife as 'handbrake' not a nice name but does crack me up. If I was married I dont think I'd get offended by any of those nicknames as long as they're said in good humor :)
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter to you? It really is about her and how she feels. 99% of the time, I called my late bride... My Bride.

It just seems very disconnected or even demeaning.

Demeaning.... :laugh: Oh good gawd, the word The has that much of an affect? Is it because it's referring to wife?
    So if someone said hey does your neighbor play poker...and you said I don't let me go ask the neighbor insetad of my neighbor that would be disconnected or demeaning?
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't care what other people call their people. lol
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My fiance is Hispanic and he calls me mami. It's a cultural thing. To others he calls me "my wife". :flowerforyou:
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    I call mine "the wife" or "the boss" sometimes, especially if who ever I am talking to doesn't know her name. That way I don't have to explain when I say "Nicole" that that is my wife. I just say "the wife" and continue the conversation. only reason some one should be offended is if the tone being used was derogatory or demeaning.

just my
    2cents.jpg
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    nah, my husband calls me The Wife, I call him The Husband. It's all in good fun.