The Fat Acceptance Movement… Thoughts??

Options

Replies

• Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    For most of my life I don't particularly notice someones weight, don't notice what others eat, don't notice their lifestyle.

However there are times (and now is one of those) where I need to lose some weight and get back in shape. During those times I get OBSESSED! I am on here all the time! I look at overweight people and think why on earth don't they do something about it. See people in McDs and wonder what on earth they are doing! I check EVERY little bit of nutritional information on a food and wonder why everyone is not doing the same.

I think we (the dieters/healthy eaters/gym goers/runners) do have a bit of a 'holier than thou' attitude. I know I certainly do and it's not good. I dread to think what 'Fit Rob' would say to 'Chub Rob' if they ever met - Fit Rob would probably end up nursing a well-deserved bloody nose!
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There are some benefits to being fat that I'm slowly realizing. The most obvious benefit to me now is that sitting or laying on hard surfaces is so much easier on your bones when you're fat.

It surprises me that people think others can't possibly be okay with being fat. I think that of course there are people that "say" they're okay with being fat when they actually aren't (for whatever reason), but I do believe there are people who are okay with being fat.

As for television shows that "glorify" people for being fat, if you don't like them, don't watch them. I don't understand why people have a problem with how fat other people are. The only time I take issue with someone else's weight is if they're sitting next to me on an airplane (although I used to be THAT person and I flew a lot so I was generally feeling sorry for the person next to me even when I got to turn left). I am not saying it's inappropriate to judge someone based on their weight, but if people truly accept being fat, they will have (or should have) already taken that into consideration.

Wow, I'm generally very sorry for you. There's nothing okay with being fat. No one should accept their bodies this way. I've never hit unhealthy BMI, but I've had other very unhealthy habits. Such as smoking - you bet your a** that I felt nauseous thinking about what I was doing to myself every single day... So one day.. I stopped. Probably too late because I;m 22 with the lung capacity of a 60 yr old.. but I'm healing.. the fact is there was nothing okay with that. I had people around me everyday for 7+ years telling me how NOT okay that was. Eventually... it came down to me making a decision to be better. That's what it comes down to. If you love yourself, you treat yourself well. Treating yourself well involves being healthy and being at a healthy weight and working on it. No one said it'd be easy... they just said it'd be worth it.

I do agree with your post above this one where you mention that it is just a choice to become healthy and it really isn't difficult to "put down the fork."

I'm really not sure why you're "generally very sorry" for ME.

People are allowed to make their own decisions. I'd like for you to tell me why it's not okay for someone to accept being fat. Anything you say about them being not healthy if they're fat is something that that person clearly already knows and they've accepted being fat. Maybe they don't have an issue with living life to the fullest (literally :)) and dying at 45. If that's the choice they want to make, why is it not okay for them to make that choice?

Also, just for the record, it's entirely possible for someone to be both fat and healthy just as it's entirely possible (and quite common) for someone to be thin and unhealthy.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think if smoking were still cheap, socially accepted, and as strongly advertised as our junk food is today, the number of smokers would never have decreased and would probably still be increasing. Likewise, if junk foods were heavily taxed, socially unacceptable, and if all of the junk food ads (and weight loss "diet" ads) disappeared from TV and magazines, obesity wouldn't be as much of a problem. I'm not necessarily calling for more taxes or legislation on food, I just find it to be an interesting comparison. In general I don't think the majority of people will change if they are not forced in some way to do so whether it be economically or socially or maybe even a health scare. However, I know a lot of people who have health problems or have family members with health problems relating to obesity and they are still not motivated to change.
  • gogophers
    Options
    Should we discriminate against fat people? Of course not. They are no different from you or your neighbor or...ANYONE. They're just fat.

I agree with most of what you said. I will say that I have no problem with people judging other people for being fat. I think fitness does say something about personality. However, people who "choose" to be fat are aware or should be aware of how it makes them look to other people. This is simply one factor in their decision of whether to remain fat or not. If they choose to remain fat, I really don't understand why people are saying that isn't "okay".
  • gogophers
    Options
    I think if smoking were still cheap, socially accepted, and as strongly advertised as our junk food is today, the number of smokers would never have decreased and would probably still be increasing. Likewise, if junk foods were heavily taxed, socially unacceptable, and if all of the junk food ads (and weight loss "diet" ads) disappeared from TV and magazines, obesity wouldn't be as much of a problem. I'm not necessarily calling for more taxes or legislation on food, I just find it to be an interesting comparison. In general I don't think the majority of people will change if they are not forced in some way to do so whether it be economically or socially or maybe even a health scare. However, I know a lot of people who have health problems or have family members with health problems relating to obesity and they are still not motivated to change.

That's interesting. I do think it's a little different since food is a necessity and it's a choice about type as opposed to whether or not to purchase it. Since fast food is cheaper, I think one of the major motivating factors is price. If they were to increase prices through taxes, I think it would definitely be interesting to see the effect it has (although I would personally be against any such tax).
  • diemodemdie
    Options
    Should we discriminate against fat people? Of course not. They are no different from you or your neighbor or...ANYONE. They're just fat.

I agree with most of what you said. I will say that I have no problem with people judging other people for being fat. I think fitness does say something about personality. However, people who "choose" to be fat are aware or should be aware of how it makes them look to other people. This is simply one factor in their decision of whether to remain fat or not. If they choose to remain fat, I really don't understand why people are saying that isn't "okay".

But how does one distinguish one who chooses to be fat and one who hates being fat without being explicitly being told?

It is a matter of personal opinion. If you are looking for tolerance of people REMAINING fat because they choose to, you're on the wrong forum, I think. People don't join MFP to keep chowing down McDonald's value meals and say "I'm happy being fat". They are here for a reason, which is predominantly to lose weight. So acceptance of a person who wants to NOT lose weight in a community who does nothing BUT encourage others to lose weight is likely going to be non-existent.

Not saying you don't have a valid point - people will do what they will do. But I imagine most people here won't share that perspective.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about the movement.

On one hand, I think we should accept people at all sizes and weights. Weight is not an indicator of healthy, and there are some people who are "overweight" according to BMI, but can still out run, out lift, and out do someone like me, who is at a healthy weight.

However, I do see people use it as an excuse to remain unhealthy sometimes. It's great that they're secure in their body (which sometimes I feel this movement actually acts as a cover for their body insecurity), but if you love your body, don't you want to take care of it? I would really prefer a "health at any size" movement.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    when i see a morbidly obese person i see someone suffering from addiction... and should any type of unhealthy addiction be accepted?? my opinion is no.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i can speak only for myself here..
    i used to feel so... (i'm fat, so what? i'm happy!) but then i felt like i was lying to myself this whole time... which i was. I was tired and sluggish all the time, i kept asking for bigger sizes... then i realised how unhappy i was.

i'm healthier and truly happier now.

so to answer the question... i dont accept that, i think it's a cop out and an excuse because we've tried other things to lose weight and it didnt work out. instead of keeping trying to find something that does work, (cause something will) out of frustration its better to "accept" it

Old habits are extremely HARD to kick, it takes an immense amount of discipline which some people arent ready for. I wasnt before now.
  • gogophers
    Options

But how does one distinguish one who chooses to be fat and one who hates being fat without being explicitly being told?

It is a matter of personal opinion. If you are looking for tolerance of people REMAINING fat because they choose to, you're on the wrong forum, I think. People don't join MFP to keep chowing down McDonald's value meals and say "I'm happy being fat". They are here for a reason, which is predominantly to lose weight. So acceptance of a person who wants to NOT lose weight in a community who does nothing BUT encourage others to lose weight is likely going to be non-existent.

Not saying you don't have a valid point - people will do what they will do. But I imagine most people here won't share that perspective.

My point, though, is that it doesn't matter. Why do you need to distinguish between someone who wants to be skinnier and someone who simply chooses to be fat. If you are looking to encourage them to become more fit, you would be close enough to them to simply talk about how they feel about themselves. Otherwise, their fitness should be irrelevant to you.

Also, for the record, I have not chosen to accept being fat. I didn't like being fat so I've chosen to lose weight. But, that was MY CHOICE and I made it for various reasons including how other people view fat people. However, if I had made the choice to not lose weight, I fail to see how that's not "okay."
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

My point, though, is that it doesn't matter. Why do you need to distinguish between someone who wants to be skinnier and someone who simply chooses to be fat. If you are looking to encourage them to become more fit, you would be close enough to them to simply talk about how they feel about themselves. Otherwise, their fitness should be irrelevant to you.

Also, for the record, I have not chosen to accept being fat. I didn't like being fat so I've chosen to lose weight. But, that was MY CHOICE and I made it for various reasons including how other people view fat people. However, if I had made the choice to not lose weight, I fail to see how that's not "okay."
    i dont think anyone chooses to be fat...they just accept their addiction to food.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

That's interesting. I do think it's a little different since food is a necessity and it's a choice about type as opposed to whether or not to purchase it. Since fast food is cheaper, I think one of the major motivating factors is price. If they were to increase prices through taxes, I think it would definitely be interesting to see the effect it has (although I would personally be against any such tax).

Ok how about the opposite - tax incentives on healthy food, just as we have tax incentives on low poluting cars to help towards a healthier environment, why can't we have for example, no tax on fruit and veg? Burgers taxed but lean meat tax free? Fizzy drinks taxed but bottled water tax free?
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have known and loved many in the fat acceptance movement. I like strong, powerful people.

Weight is not the be-all of health. These are individuals that swim marathons in the ocean! Individuals who eat clean, delicious food they cook themselves. Despite my years boxing, and the belt on my wall - these are individuals who could take me down in a heartbeat if such was their whim. These are individuals who love themselves and thier bodies.

And yes, these are individuals who still are capable of feeling stung when they are judged, belittled or verbally attacked.

No, shoveling junk into your body is not healthy or a act of self-love. But there are those that do that and are skinny. Size isn't the issue. Eating well, exercising often...these are indications of health. Not size.
    The woman who wants to be the largest in the world is as sad a case as the one who wants to have the most children.

And many heavyweight boxers can be judged as 'fat' as well.

Agreed.

I don't agree with fat acceptance in the sense of just giving up and not trying to do anything good for your body. I do agree in the sense of not obsessing over the number on the scale. I know a number of people who would consider themselves to be pro-fat acceptance that make an effort to eat healthy and exercise, but just don't fixate on changing the number.

Many have tried extreme diets, lost weight, and put more back on over and over, or have had serious eating disorders in the past. I like the idea of Health at Every Size....where no matter what size you may be, you still do your best to eat healthy nutritious things in reasonable quantities, and get regular exercise.

I've known plenty of fat people who eat well and exercise and thin people who play video games all day and live on fast food. One guy I know runs every morning, lifts weights , circuit trains, does martial arts, and has calves like rock....yet and he's about 300lbs with a gut on him. Another guy I know weights at most 120, really small guy, and omg could he EAT...he'd eat two double whoppers or huge plates of nachos at a sitting, never gained an ounce. Always baffled the rest of us. But 10 years later his cholesterol and bp were just horrid, even though he was still thin, and he was still chain smoking too. The bigger guy might be healthier if he weighed less, but he's still better off over all than if he weighed that and was a couch potato, and I'm guessing he'll do better in the end than the skinny whopper eating chain smoker.
  • gogophers
    Options
    Ok how about the opposite - tax incentives on healthy food, just as we have tax incentives on low poluting cars to help towards a healthier environment, why can't we have for example, no tax on fruit and veg? Burgers taxed but lean meat tax free? Fizzy drinks taxed but bottled water tax free?

Yeah, I think it would be very interesting to see the consequences of something like that as well. I think there's a good possibility it could result in people eating healthier. I personally still would not vote for that, but that's for philosophical reasons, not really general health reasons.

Unfortunately, I think these are all hypothetical in the US due to the lobbying power of the American Cattle Association and the fact that they basically run the USDA.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I think its because people have very very sick and wrong preconceptions about other people.

Granted, an obese person is probably obese because they don't do anything and eat bad food. A morbidly obese person... well... yeah.

Like said above, many heavy weight boxers and wrestlers can be considered fat, and they are also 10x more fit than most anyone you know.

I was asked last year how I play soccer with a gut so big. Like I had found a way to jump to the moon or something so impossible.

I know several "fat" friends who are about 15-20 lbs overweight, have bellies, and can outrun and out lift most people. That's my anecdotal fact. They also have to deal with a lot of the social stigmas that most non-fat people give them... like the assumptions that they sit at home rolling in twinky dust and pounding down big macs every day while drinking from a five liter bottle of coke.

The vast majority of the "fit" women i know in my life can't even run a mile. Several smoke, almost all eat poorly, but because they have low body fat they consider themselves fit and society in general treats them like queens with high social worth because they are beautiful, even though their habits are appaling.

On the flip side two of my good buddies are both very tall men and have about 14% or less body fat. They both have 28" waists. Those two by themselves put down more food than a horse. I'm talking a five thousand or more calorie diet a day. And they don't work out. Yet they stay thin.

I've been plateaued out at 20 lbs overweight since Nov and I put in 20-25 mile runs a week and a lot of gym time and my diet stays reasonable. Lately it's harsh because I'm trying to break the plateau. But if you don't know me and you see me out on the street with my gut you'd assume that I'm greasing my belly down with KFC chicken grease and putting away a box of ding dongs for a post meal snack. (I average 2200 calories a day and am now on a 1600 calorie a day diet). That's the thing that burns me... is when someone who doesn't have to deal with being fat assumes that fat people do nothing all day. Then I compare that with my two buddies who have also never been fat but put down 3x more food and calories than I do when the "calories in calories out" mantra says they should be 400 lbs by now. I'm out running 5 miles or a 10k, they are at the bar pounding down high calorie beers and putting whole pizzas away.

They joke on me because when we go out people assume I'm the one pounding the pizzas and beer and they are the ones that work out. One will down a gallon of milk a day and ask me if I hate them because if I did that I'd be 350 lbs. They know its unfair, they joke about it... I joke about it with them (i joke that being near their food makes me gain the weight that they aren't)

I think when I see fat acceptance its not that I say we should encourage people to be fat no more than I'd encourage a heroin addict to keep threading the needle. What I think of when I see fat acceptance is to realize that your stereotypes and what you think are fact are in fact nothing more than feeling superior because you aren't fat and you are treated better because of it.

Being thin doesn't mean someone works out. Being fat doesn't mean someone twinky delves and doesn't work out.
  • DeannaGregory
    Options
    I think when I see fat acceptance its not that I say we should encourage people to be fat no more than I'd encourage a heroin addict to keep threading the needle. What I think of when I see fat acceptance is to realize that your stereotypes and what you think are fact are in fact nothing more than feeling superior because you aren't fat and you are treated better because of it.

Being thin doesn't mean someone works out. Being fat doesn't mean someone twinky delves and doesn't work out.

Totally agree
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    didn-t-read-lol-l.gif
  • AshlyRamos
    AshlyRamos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've seen alot of this on my sister's facebook page. I think it's great. They post pictures of girls of ALL different sizes and shapes saying "I'm beautiful" or something along those lines and then they get 10,000 likes. If people can look at a girl who is a size 20 can accept her as beautiful and give her confidence, I'm all for it!

I don't think it's an excuse to stay overweight and certainly hope it doesn't become that. But people being happy and confident is a good thing. Espcially in children and teens.

Totally agree!

While I'm still overweight at 5' 4" 179.4lbs... I am VERY confident. I've never had a body-image problem, but I do realize that I need to lose weight in order to be fit & healthy for the long haul. Of course I'd like to wear smaller clothes too. LoL

:)
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    As a fat person, I think it's just an excuse. While rudeness is totally unacceptable, overweight people are a heavy burden to not only themselves, but society- notably our healthcare system. Fat people, including myself, need to take responsibility. And if they're not ready and continue to be unhealthy, then they need support and encouragement until it's their time to make a difference.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't want to accept my fat. I want it to go away.