If you could give only one tip.....

Options

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like you have to cut out everything you love to lose weight.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    lol, "just the tip" was my favorite game in college.
  • jesska224
    jesska224 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE. This is wholehearted.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Don't over do it ~ Never ever quit ~ Eat
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a heart rate monitor.
    2. Don't develop a fear of having a good time. Everything in moderation!
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Indulgences happen. Lazy days happen. Plateaus happen. Don't get discouraged, just keep your eyes on your goal and keep moving toward it.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Im surprised no one has hijacked this yet...I'll keep it clean....

Don't just choose to be healthier. Take Action on the choices that get you there.
  • tthroenle
    tthroenle Posts: 6
    Options
    if you have a bad day and go off track...get back on the wagon, don't throw in the towel...keep going!! The path to success is not a straight easy line...it's bumpy and curvy and worth the commitment!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    STAY WAY FROM POTATOES, WHITE BREAD, PASTAS, AND WHITE RICE! THESE ARE YOUR ENEMIES! DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. EVEN BETTER...ADD LEMONS TO YOUR WATER. YOU'D BE VERY SURPRISED WITH YOUR RESULTS!

Yeah, this is a negative, Ghost Rider
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My friend actually said no to working out with me because she didn't have anything to wear to the gym....SERIOUSLY??? So my advice/tip for anyone starting out on this journey is:

Doesn't matter if your workout clothes don't match your shoes! And who cares anyway. We (I) didn't come to the gym for a fashion show and chances are nobody is looking.
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    $5
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    STAY WAY FROM POTATOES, WHITE BREAD, PASTAS, AND WHITE RICE! THESE ARE YOUR ENEMIES! DRINK PLENTY OF WATER. EVEN BETTER...ADD LEMONS TO YOUR WATER. YOU'D BE VERY SURPRISED WITH YOUR RESULTS!

I eat white bread, potatoes, pasta, and white rice, and I lost 42 lbs.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale and weigh things. What I found was that I thought things weighed more than they did. I found that I could have more (beef/chicken/etc) than I thought when I weighed it and I could enjoy it more because I wasn't stressing over the unknown.

*** This ***

It's incredible how many calories are in things that you don't expect. I love milk and won't give it up - but now I measure it and include it in my calorie count. All those cups of tea throughout the day really can add up!

And sauces are my downfall! Put your plate on the scales and weigh everything as you put it on your plate - if you eat it, log it!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Buy a scale and weigh things. What I found was that I thought things weighed more than they did. I found that I could have more (beef/chicken/etc) than I thought when I weighed it and I could enjoy it more because I wasn't stressing over the unknown.

^ This would be my tip also.

Just to add one more: Do not ever give up, even if you screw up, because you will many times. It's a long-term thing, not a short term one, so just stick it out.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Not sure if srs? Evil carbs?

evil-carb.jpg
  • kellyreynolds14
    Options
    Ok, so much for the one tip!

1) buy a hear rate monitor! You would not beleive how even the same excercise can burn different amounts of calories depending on your intensity / lack of sleep / tons of other factors! and every individual is SOOO different when it comes to burning calories
    2) Water Water Water - I am so weak at this but when I really try hard I notice a tremendous difference in so many things
    3) If you bite it write it! Yes - and I also agree with the poster who said it is easier in the beginning if you eat the same thing until you get into the habit of logging
    4) keep trying! You will never get there if you quit!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dont decide something isnt going to work for you personally, unless you've given it an inscrutable honest try.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have SO many little tips but my biggest tip for people just starting is to PLAN AHEAD. It has been the number one key to my success so far. And when I don't do it, I start slacking and things come to a stand still.

And by planning ahead I mean:

Schedule time in your day or week for activity. Have your gym bag packed and in your car or your work out clothes ready to go for whenever you decide to work out or be active. If you make it a routine, it becomes easier.

Measure out food and snacks as soon as you get home from the grocery store in tupperwares and baggies with the calories written right on it.

If you are going out to eat, track your meal first (if you haven't been their they probably have a menu online).

As soon as you are up in the morning, sit down at your computer and track as much of your food and meals for that day as possible. In fact, track as much for the next day too. When you know for sure what you are going to be eating and when, you know how many calories you can spend when it comes to snack time or indulging in a treat or drink.

Also when I plan ahead to cook something for dinner, I look forward to that meal all day when I'm at work, and as soon as I get home I'm excited to start preparing it.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Two words:

REAL FOOD!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Plan and follow through!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!