If you could give only one tip.....

Options

Replies

• RunEloiseRun
    Options
    Never give up.
    Even if you have a bad day, week, month, or year.
    Always give yourself the benefit of the doubt that you CAN change and you are worth the effort.
    (:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Start with balancing your carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. The key to not being as hungry is fully nourishing your body.

And water, tons of water.

And exercise allows you to eat more. Exercise, and EAT MORE.

Oh, and never let artificial limitations such as "if you can only give ONE tip" limit you. :tongue:
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ...be successful one day at a time, one workout at a time, one pound at a time--instead of "i have to lose 20 lbs!!', "i have to lose 1 pound this week"
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Wow great info here so far.

I agree with Water Water Water, weigh and track everything, and stick with it as it is a long process. I was once 340lbs and got down to 270 by simply playing racquetball 3 times a week and kinda watching what I ate. Then to get from 270 to 240ish I started really watching what I ate and really started to understand portion control. In general if you eat out put have of whatever your served in a to-go container. But the biggest help to me was getting a gym partner. When someone is waiting for you at the gym each morning you tend to GO more often.

I since moved away and have been stuck at the 240 for quite some time and now I am trying to resume my goal of getting under 200lbs and for me that means tracking everything, hitting the ellipitical as much as I can and posting here to keep up my motivation.

Add me if your looking for friends.

-Bruce
  • Tangerine16
    Tangerine16 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you hog it, log it!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    If you're not crawling to the shower after a workout, you didn't do it properly :p

TRUTH! and I would like to add ...

spread your calories out into 5-7 meals a day as equally as possible. Eating every 3 hours. If you plan all your meals right, you will not be starving ever, but will be hungry by the time that 3 hours is up and I personally have found it easier to not over eat knowing there is another meal just around the corner.

Oh...and make as many substitutions as possible to support clean eating. The energy level provided from GOOD foods is AMAZING and motivating in itself. Promise.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Log everything & EAT!! And not just anything, but quality, healthy food. So many people try to do crash diets, denying themselves everything and barely eating 1200 calories. This leads to injuries, fatigue, and unhealthy weight loss. When these people decide to eat again, they gain it all back plus some. Remember, it's a life style change not a "diet." Diet is simply what we eat. So eat enough, eat healthy and the rest will fall into place. Success is 80% nutrition. Good luck!

**PS: Wash it down with a lot of WATER! :bigsmile:
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't lie to yourself. face the ugliness of what you weigh, face what you eat and log every bite. It is the only way to actually move forward.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Naytahlee
    Naytahlee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The hardest things I have learned:

Eat what was planned, count it and stop eating when you are still hungry. For me it takes about 15-20 minutes for the hunger to go away. My mother taught me to stop eating when you are comfortable, “comfortable” leads to very full in 20 minutes. (This by far was the hardest for me to learn)

I log everything. Which put a stop to me nibbling, because its too hard to figure out. :)

Water is a natural appetite suppressant, drink as much of it as you possibly can without additives (don’t drink your calories).
  • workingitout2012
    Options
    Start today & never look back!
  • BlondeQtTexas
    BlondeQtTexas Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lift Weights

Amino Acids are key to weight loss (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-nicholas-perricone/the-top-10-weight-loss-su_b_227618.html_

No processed foods

Drink 3 liters of water a day
  • debobrien1
    debobrien1 Posts: 95
    Options
    Endeavor to persevere (Just keep going).

You don't drown from falling into water. You drown from not getting out.

Love this! :heart:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimming swimming swimming
  • Kcinnamon
    Kcinnamon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have found that a big thing for my family is substitution. I have fallen in love with quakes rice cakes, the cheddar ones. Finding less calorie snacks have been huge for me. I'll never eat regular potato chips again if I can have 18 of those, which fill me up for 120 calories. Another big one is eating a salad and serving of fruit before we eat dinner. We still get to eat anything we want, we just eat a lot less because we're already full before we get to the less healthy stuff. My daughter loves this fried chicken finger pita from he local coney, we make it at home with a tortilla, baked chicken patty, and a lot of lettuce and tomato for 300 cal instead of over 1000, and she loves it. It's actually kind of fun to find new ways to make tasty bad food into tasty good for you food
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    For me, it was definitely STOP EATING SUGAR!
  • JoeyB56
    JoeyB56 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion about the heart monitor.

Any suggestions for what feels comfortable, is easy to use, and works?
  • Karebear_68
    Options
    Take it one meal a a time........... No one is perfect!
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    LOVE this question and all the responses! Wouldn't be my top tip, but since so many excellent ones have been said I would add to make friends on here. I didn't for a while and logging got "old", but now I look forward to reading what my friends are (or aren't) doing so it makes it much more fun to stop in, log for the day and catch up with people.... and there are some great people on here that I sadly will probably never meet in person, but they inspire me everyday.
  • aegisprncs
    aegisprncs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    LOVE this question and all the responses! Wouldn't be my top tip, but since so many excellent ones have been said I would add to make friends on here. I didn't for a while and logging got "old", but now I look forward to reading what my friends are (or aren't) doing so it makes it much more fun to stop in, log for the day and catch up with people.... and there are some great people on here that I sadly will probably never meet in person, but they inspire me everyday.

Bump! It does help to keep me motivated as well.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!