I find this inconsiderate

Options

Replies

• bellaitalia603
    bellaitalia603 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    i completely agree. i have to say when i started this back in november i didn't find MFP to be a very friendly, welcoming place at all.

luckily in my second attempt here, i have sought out a few key people to help support and who will support me through this journey. but posting in the boards isn't something i'm too excited about.
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Okay, I know I can be really slow when it comes to some computer things.....But it took me over 4 months to figure out how to search on this site. I was expecting a search bar that is usually located somewhere on the top of the page. When I did not see it I figured all convos were deleted after x number of days. I was actually looking for an answer via google about pasta and what a cooked portion of pasta looked like when it came up with a link to an old MFP convo making me think that the information was on the site but I had not found it yet. Later that same day my daughter (22 months) touched my laptop and accidently clicked on search and tada. All of a sudden I knew how to search. It has made my life a lot easier and a lot more frusterating all at the same time. Most of the time what I search for does not come up with answers that are related to the situation I am in.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.

^^This....i mean posting a question, even if it was posted 8 million times before offers the poster and opportunity to "meet" like people and add them to their friends list. Doing a search means finding people that answered that question a while ago and either A) aren't at the same place in their journey as the poster at that time or B) not looking for new friends given that they made their friends back when THEY posted or C) no longer on MFP for whatever reason that may be.

So really if you want a community, you do answer the same question a million times...OR you give it a pass realising that someone else will answer it for you and hopefully make a connection with the poster that will help them develop a supportive network.

L
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I bet I totally just did this and annoyed the crud out of someone by asking what NSV stands for. I didnt even think of using the search box, I am not particularly stupid either so it stands to reason that most people wouldnt think of it eaither, at least not initially.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    OK, here's something that bothers me.
    These message boards are meant to be helpful to people on a journey to fitness. I have seen this happen countless times on here (and other weight loss boards, ie. weight watchers, ect.) Somebody will post a question that has been answered in the past. Some will answer it. But others will become annoyed or snarky - stating with great exasperation how this has been answered before, and "here we go AGAIN."
    Why must people do this? Not everybody started their journeys at the same time as said person. People who say that should perhaps move on to myfitnesspal for the over-evolved ego. (MFP-OEE.)
    Just my pet peeve for the day.
    Sorry if this has been posted before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIC6HeLiJYjdFOKNrbXpf648jw52Xyy6PwraOd1IPwINT3Snl8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkV5IRe2tbIGQWjvRuT2c1MK9ayYAiEaiUXToT9UlkAMIICSEbbg
  • turtledreamer
    turtledreamer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I haven't even been here long and I have found a lot of threads to be repetitive.

Here's the fun thing though - I don't have to read them, and I especially don't have to go in and make fun of the OP. Sometimes I feel like taking my turn and telling the person that 600 calories is not enough, etc. Sometimes I don't. It's not a life-altering ordeal for me.

The one exception would be that one girl that was horrified that people take their clothes off in locker rooms. Sorry, but my self control does have its limits...
  • turtledreamer
    turtledreamer Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't say it (and I'm not on the forum enough to see repeated threads keep coming up anyway), but I do sort of understand the frustration of people that post on here a lot and see the same questions over and over again. Although, I've never used the search function on this board, so if it's *kitten*, then I can't really blame the question posters at all.

Here's my argument for this, because I hear this a lot.
    We should not be expected to use the search option. The people who originally posted the questions got the benefit of a conversation - direct answers to their questions by real people. The new people could certainly look up those old questions, but then it would be answers to someone else's question, in effect making this a database instead of a community. New people should get the same joy of putting out a question and seeing responses by people that care.
    Old people should realize that the new people want that same experience and not expect them to just look up their old history.

At Wingednotes.... What a positive realization in your post. I really liked your post and you positive rebuttal to the previous comment. Kudos on a great outlook.
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have posted some dumb questions when I was a newbie I was thankful for my supporters whom are still my besties on here and I ignored the haters. Apparently they couldn't be helpful that day because they were too busy to help but bored enough to be an *kitten*.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    they were too busy to help but bored enough to be an *kitten*.

Well put.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    These message boards are meant to be helpful to people on a journey to fitness. I have seen this happen countless times on here (and other weight loss boards, ie. weight watchers, ect.) Somebody will post a question that has been answered in the past. Some will answer it. But others will become annoyed or snarky - stating with great exasperation how this has been answered before, and "here we go AGAIN."
    Why must people do this? Not everybody started their journeys at the same time as said person. People who say that should perhaps move on to myfitnesspal for the over-evolved ego. (MFP-OEE.)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIC6HeLiJYjdFOKNrbXpf648jw52Xyy6PwraOd1IPwINT3Snl8

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkV5IRe2tbIGQWjvRuT2c1MK9ayYAiEaiUXToT9UlkAMIICSEbbg
    [/quot]

Kurt-glee-18091099-500-282.gif
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

Ok, NOW you are what you dislike most...REMEMBER, You are Not the first person to Post "This Type" of dislike, and other people know it and they move on but You need to be "heard" too. Sometimes a newbie or someone not so far along in this Journey will come along and what THEY will Do is act like a GURU about something they have "discovered" and PRONOUNCE it to us here like they INVENTED the info, when all they did is basically regurgitate the info...that pisses some people off. So, it's a two way street...how they ask a question(s); giving info; as well as responding to both. Also remember, SUPPORT is NOT always the nice, fluffy stuff that some people expect. Sometimes people need to be told "truth" from different perspectives.

What do YOU consider support? Is it "great'" "good job", "keep up the good work", "You look fantastic..." No matter the situation. These Boards are made up of EVERY TYPE of person in society...Lovers, Haters, Bigots, Racists, Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Moderates, The Insecure/Confident, Abusers/Abused, Every Color in the Rainbow, Every Sexual Orientation, Almost Every Age, Vast Education/Status/Economic Range...And THAT is the Balancing Act when ONLINE! So get over it and yourself when online.
  • StephanieEmpson
    Options
    Wow aren't you a *****
  • gogophers
    gogophers Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    In case people are interested, here are some tricks I use on other message boards that don't have great search functions:
    Use ctrl+f (not sure what it is on a mac) and just searching for a key word, then going to the next page of posts and searching that same key word. It takes only 15 or 20 seconds to do this.
    You can also search through Google. If you just type (without quotations): "site:myfitnesspal.com SEARCH TERM"

I'm not saying that people necessarily have to do that for this site, but hopefully those tricks will be helpful to someone who's interested in searching any site.
  • elizaberries
    Options
    haha, welcome to message boards. they suck (because of trolls and mods).
  • lizscottdrake
    lizscottdrake Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I agree with you 100% there is no reason to be rude or snarky to anyone.
  • AngryBecky
    AngryBecky Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I like that you wrote, " sorry if this has been posted before." ;)

Yes I agree w u!!!!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Ok, NOW you are what you dislike most...REMEMBER, You are Not the first person to Post "This Type" of dislike, and other people know it and they move on but You need to be "heard" too. Sometimes a newbie or someone not so far along in this Journey will come along and what THEY will Do is act like a GURU about something they have "discovered" and PRONOUNCE it to us here like they INVENTED the info, when all they did is basically regurgitate the info...that pisses some people off. So, it's a two way street...how they ask a question(s); giving info; as well as responding to both. Also remember, SUPPORT is NOT always the nice, fluffy stuff that some people expect. Sometimes people need to be told "truth" from different perspectives.

What do YOU consider support? Is it "great'" "good job", "keep up the good work", "You look fantastic..." No matter the situation. These Boards are made up of EVERY TYPE of person in society...Lovers, Haters, Bigots, Racists, Democrats, Republicans, Liberals, Conservatives, Moderates, The Insecure/Confident, Abusers/Abused, Every Color in the Rainbow, Every Sexual Orientation, Almost Every Age, Vast Education/Status/Economic Range...And THAT is the Balancing Act when ONLINE! So get over it and yourself when online.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Grrrrr phone!

what i was trying to say, above, is that while i recognise from the tone that you feel thus Izmir a clever response, i fail to see how it is relevant to the OPs point.
  • LexyDB
    LexyDB Posts: 261
    Options
    People find it inconsiderate when others are too lazy to use the page buttons at the bottom and look past the first page. Instead of research and finding the answer, 90% of which are on here just past page 1, they want someone else to do the work. Laziness is perhaps the reason why they are intolerant.