Does anyone eat whatever they want just within calories?

Options

Replies

• fishfish3
    fishfish3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. I don't care about calories. I only watch sugar consumption, which means I naturally eat very clean now.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Well....sort of. I have to get a certain amount of protein so I can't blow my 1700 calories on a half dozen donuts. And I learnedly to switch a few things so that I don't end up feeling hungry all day. Like swapping 2 handfuls of peanuts for a candy bar. Same calories, but the candy would have me craving more an hour later. And I did things like ordering from the fresco menu at taco bell, eating thin crust pizza instead of deep, and getting the grilled chicken at kfc.

So I'm not actually eating whatever I want, but no one would ever accuse me of eating "clean ". Especially if they saw eat that 24 ounce, triple decker cheeseburger at fatburger this week.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't deprive myself from any foods.
    If I want to go out and eat some high calorie dessert for dinner, I might skimp on calories earlier in the day to make sure I can eat it... or workout more to "get" more calories. This is how I lost over 30 lbs in 3 months a few years ago (during the holidays no less!). I have to "keep dieting" because I keep having kiddos and keep having to lose pregnancy weight. ;) SO I'm in the middle of my next weight loss journey now and am tracking my calories carefully.

If I'm having a SUPER hungry day, I find that eating salad or berries or other healthy foods is more satisfying because I can eat so much for so few calories (compared to something like cookies or cake which would eat up all of my calories FAST!)
  • PuffedMummy
    Options
    Good morning (well it is in the UK) everyone.

Thanks everyone who has posted on this thread. I've found all the replies and mini disputes really interesting and, whilst I thought I knew my response at the beginning, many of the replies have got me thinking and I've also learnt a lot. Once I worked out what you all meant by macros this thread made much more sense!

I've been using MFP for about 2 weeks and had lost around 1.5 stone / 18 lb before I came to MFP but stalled an plateaued really badly for months. I'd used Weight Watchers online but had jacked it in as expensive and also the food database and general website design is really, really poor. (MFP knocks its bloody socks off - and it's free!).

One of the things that had really seemed 'wrong' to me about WW was the calculation of points without regard to nutritional content eg a Mars bar used to be the same points as an avocado. Whether one is hard core about macros or not, I think it's obvious that there's a discrepancy of common sense there.

However, so far I've just been staying under my cals with MFP and I'm losing steadily again which I'm thrilled about. I have not worried about the minute details of what I'm eating, but I am starting to think that it's a journey of realisation and application. Most of us know 'exercise more, eat less' and all the sensible advise about losing weight but it's the practical application and realisation of our ACTUAL eating habits - not what we think we do when acting mostly on autopilot.

I do eat my exercise calories because I'm training for a half marathon in July and I know I can't ask my body to run the miles I do each week without proper fuel. Since I'm carrying so much extra weight I also know I'll be more prone to injury, so a half starved body isn't the best starting place.

The thing that MFP has done for me so far is make me pay attention. Really pay attention to what I'm eating. This is a tool for life I think. Getting back to the OP I think that most people will find they're successful by paying attention, recording ruthlessly and brutally everything they put in their mouths and staying under calories. If this is too tough, then I'd consider setting a lower deficit.

The next thing I've noticed is that I'm cooking more. I consider myself a good cook and have always thought that we ate really well (as in "I don't know why I'm so fat, we eat really well!). What MFP has made me realise was the number of times we fell back on takeaways because I couldn't be arsed to cook. The irony being is that being a good cook sometimes means you set quite high standards for what constitutes a 'proper' dinner. I've worked out some much simpler, faster recipes that are so easy it feels like cheating, not cooking - but that's my own hangup to get rid of!

The next thing I've noticed is how much less I snack. Even 'healthy' snacks which do add up. And aren't always as healthy as one thinks. I would have considered toast as a snack but of course I now think of this in terms of adding soup or eggs and making it my meal. Better food and less daily intake. Hurrah.

I had a proper, processed bit of food yesterday - Belgian Chocolate Torte! It felt really indulgent and slightly bad, but when I tracked the calories it actually wasn't as bad as I thought and fitted in well to my whole day or otherwise balanced eating. A few weeks ago I would have eaten twice as much without thinking about it.

I'm probably going to start keeping a weather eye on the old macros. As so many people have said, I'm sure that's going to be the key when it comes to optimal nutrition, energy levels and internal health. But for the time being I'm going to enjoy the feeling of steady weight loss without feeling deprived.

Is it better to be low calorie or healthful and is there a significant difference? Well, let's turn it on its head. It's worse to be overweight, sedentary and lethargic. Anything that helps anyone reverse this situation is good. Full stop.

As people go down that path and wonder if there's more to be gained (or rather lost)? Well, I suspect macros are the key. and if they don't? Well, I for one still salute anyone who cares enough about themselves to change whatever it was that got them in a mess in the first place.

Prizes available to anyone who got to the end of this mammoth post!

PM.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i do/
  • Aoi715
    Aoi715 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No I don't (but boy do I wish), I usually stay very conscious of what I eat and do my best to make great healthy choices. I'm very prone to gaining weight within a couple of days literally so I can not venture into the world of higher calorie or fast foods often if at all.

I basically stay within my calorie range and eat pretty healthy.
  • sweetsoonergirl
    sweetsoonergirl Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your metabolism. I've also found though that eating healthier foods will give you quality energy. It's even more essential when you're exercising. Not saying you can't every eat that chocolate chip cookie or scoop of icecream but healthy food is so important to receive the proper vitamins and nutrients in your diet.
  • azziria
    azziria Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've got a just-turned-teenage daughter who is naturally tall, slender and athletic, and given the problems that many teenage girls have in our society I don't want her to see me dieting in an obsessive way - I need to be a role model to her, I don't want her growing up thinking that dieting is something all women do, or that food is in any way 'bad'. So within my calories I eat a little of everything, I don't forego the dessert, I just eat less and don't have seconds. I also serve myself more of the vegetables and less of the calorie-laden stuff. I need her to see that I'm eating healthily but not being disordered about food, if that makes sense.

The interesting thing is that I've found that I feel physically better when I eat fewer carbs and more fruit and vegetables, even leaving aside the weight loss advantages, and I don't think it's just psychological. So it does help reinforce my healthy food choices.
  • gatecityradio
    Options
    I eat whatever I want as long as I stay within my calories.
  • HilsScott
    HilsScott Posts: 10
    Options
    I try to eat healthy calories during the week, then get up later on the weekends and have a less healthy brunch and save some calories so I can have a small amount of alcohol in the evening. The only time I have non-healthy calories in the week is if I've done some exercise and I might treat myself to a small amount of chocolate.
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Fantastic reply puffedmummy - and (apart from the running) that is how my thought process is going.

And in response to the OP, I'm eating what I want within my calories, but am thinking about the 'worth' of some of the foods I would have eaten.
  • PinkOrangeYellow
    Options
    Yes, but that yes has an asterisk. So therefore... yes*.

I say this because what I started out eating is very different from what I'm eating now... my choices are better, and I find I'm not hungry as frequently, and I'm not snacking just to snack.

The same with me....I have cut back severely on things that were not helping me such as crisps and biscuits... but on a day to day basis, I try to eat within my calories and eat what I fancy but have small portions and stop eating when I feel the least bit full.

I DO worry about not meeting the protein quota (difficult as a vegan/veggie) and having too much sodium etc. but to keep going and to stop myself from getting dispirited, all I aim for is to keep with in my calorie allowance. :smile:
  • Bri_Becq
    Bri_Becq Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat what you want as long as it fits into your calories.

You can eat WHATEVER you want as long as it fits into your calories? Hmmm, and I'm assuming you can just burn off that Big Mac during cardio???
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

You can eat WHATEVER you want as long as it fits into your calories? Hmmm, and I'm assuming you can just burn off that Big Mac during cardio???

Yes. That's exactly what I do; I've lost 37lbs so far. Plus I can't really exercise because of a recent operation. I think I've been quite successful.
  • shyrina25
    shyrina25 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I notice if I eat healthier and less carbs/fat then inches of my waist melt away faster.
  • Sharmender
    Sharmender Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want too, but staying under my calorie intake has made me better in picking healthier things. Also the amount of junk of before this all was ridiculous. I don't care if it's not perfect now because it's waaay better than before :) I just watch my protein because I exercise a lot!
  • bbygrl28
    bbygrl28 Posts: 1
    Options
    That's kind of a tricky question... Yes and no is my answer. I absolutely love to eat all different foods. From lasagna to sushi, I am truly a lover of food! However, eating what u want isn't always what u should do. The way I look at it is like this; I am the type of person who needs great energy to get through my day. So over the past year I have expanded my palet even more to try new stuff to keep my body n mind going strong. Also it helps to keep me fuller longer. I eat literally all day. I don't measure out my meals, I just simply reduced my 'old' portion size to a smaller yet more satisfying portion size. This allows me to eat 5 small meals a day AND I also snack a couple times a day as well. Also, milk is my fav drink. So with all my meals and some to all of my snacks, I have a glass of milk too. Helps fill me up. I have not ever been one to diet, I always thought of it as I'm depriving myself of what I want and like for food. Or being hungry after eating a meal, that is the worst feeling! I'm sorry I'm getting a little bit beyond your question!! What you still have to remember is, even if the calorie intake is within your limit, the carb, fats, sugars, cholesterol, etc intake plays a big role as well. Carbs turn to sugar, sugar turns to fat. So making good and/or better decisions on what u eat def makes a difference emotionally, mentally and physically. I could go on and on, lol, I hope this helps answer your question!! Feel free to chat sometime if you like!!!!
  • bii14
    bii14 Posts: 192
    Options
    thats exactly what i do. just somethings which are BEYOND worth of the amount of calories they give me to the enjoyment they pass on, i try to keep them to the minimal. like once in a long while. but no i didnt give up on anything completely excpt for softdrinks, but i do steal a sip or two every once in a while. :)
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can eat what you want as long as it fits into your calories.

If it fits in your calories, you're burning it off regardless. 600 calories of Big Mac and donuts is the same to burn off as 600 calories of broccoli and quinoa. Most of our calories are burned off by our BMR anyway.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    So I wonder for those who continue to eat unhealthy choices; as long as it is under their calorie goal will have continued success not only here but in keeping that weight off for life? I'm sorry but if you don't make some sort of change in the type of food you eat; you are setting yourself up for failure later.