It's NOT Just Calories In VS Calories Out!!!

Options
Rocbola
Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
I see people all the time say that weight loss is just as simple as "calories in/calories out" but, that is a serious oversimplification!!!! I want to share what i have learned about the OTHER FACTORS involved so others don't make the same mistakes i have made in the past. There are a variety of factors involved with why we all became overweight, and stayed that way, despite great efforts.

Factor 1: STRESS
Stress releases stress hormones within our bodies that not only make us desire more food, they make our bodies go into a storage state. Google "Cortisol"

Factor 2: HYDRATION
Most of us don't drink enough water. In addition, most of the man-made foods we eat have low water content, compared with the foods we would eat in nature. This makes our water requirements even greater. Water is necessary for almost every function of the body, including flushing out toxins from cells. You should be peeing clear.

Factor 3: UN-NATURALLY CONCENTRATED FOODS
Most man-made foods that we eat have a high concentration of calories, without much or any fiber or water. They don't fill up our stomachs, but they do provide us with a lot of calories. They are also stripped of most mirco nutrients. It is very easy to eat too many calories without our bodies telling us to stop eating. As Doug Lisle says, "Our mechanisms of satiation are being fooled". Even when we have had ENOUGH calories, we desire MORE because our stomachs aren't full.
Google "Dr. Doug Lisle, Pleasure Trap"

Factor 3: UNDERNOURISHMENT
ALL processed food has been stripped of at least some of it's nutrients. ALL cooked food has had at least some of it's nutrients destroyed. Most of the minerals that are found in normal plants are not replaced in the soil each year, so most commercial produce is deficient in proper minerals. Plus, once a plant is picked, the nutrients start degrading. By the time we pick it up on the grocery store shelf, it's already at least a week old. All of these factors combined mean that we are not getting enough nutrients. Despite getting more than enough MACRO-NUTRIENTS (calories), we are not getting enough MICRO-NUTRIENTS (vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, etc). When we don't get the micro nutrients we need, we are starving internally, and the hunger signal remains strong, so we continue to eat. Unfortunately, most people continue to eat foods that have high calories, and low micro nutrients, further exacerbating the problem.

FACTOR 4: TOXICITY/FOOD CHEMICALS
Most of the food that we eat contains preservatives, artificial flavorings, artificial colorings, etc. The body is not made to process this stuff. The body sees these chemicals as irritants, and acts to remove them from the blood stream. It either creates mucus to flush them out, or stores them in fat cells. When the body takes on these chemicals in the fat, they alter the body's ability to utilize the fat stored in the cell properly. This is very over-simplified. Research this topic. Seriously.
Google "Dr. Joel Fuhrman: Toxic Hunger"
Google "Jon Gabriel Method"

Factor 5: MSG
Several of the food chemicals in most of today's food make you want to continue eating, even when you are full.

Factor 6: ADDICTION
Many of the additives and processed foods today are physically addicting. Don't believe that big food companies would stoop to that level? Why not, the tobacco did it too. Think you are an "over eater"? Ever wonder why you can't seem to control yourself when food is concerned? Ever tell yourself, "I'll just have one" and then have more? ADDICTION.

YES, calories in, vs calories out is a big factor, but there are many other things to consider. You need high quality calories or you will be fighting with your hunger drive all the time.

High quality calories? You've heard it before. High quality calories come from:
High water content, high nutrient content, high fiber content, natural, unprocessed, local, fresh, organic, plant based foods. Yes, i'm talking about fruits and vegetables.

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Yep, yep. I have been saying this for years on this site. People will jump all over you though and tell you how wrong you are.

I agree with you 10000000% though.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Totally agree. When I ate processed food (with high fructose corn syrup and that other crap) and carbs, I didn't lose any weight. Now still with the same amount of calories I eat clean food and more protein and keep losing.......
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Agree 1000%.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    YES, calories in, vs calories out is a big factor, but there are many other things to consider. You need high quality calories or you will be fighting with your hunger drive all the time.

Curious, what would happen if you didn't eat high quality calories but maintained a consistent caloric deficit?

and on #5, can you tell me, metabolically speaking what the difference is between MSG and naturally occurring glutamate?
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    So true!

The 1st law of thermodynamics rules all. As it relates to weight loss you have to burn more than you consume.
    The 2nd law speaks of Entropy. As it relates to weight loss it means an animal doesn't burn fuel as efficiently as a car.
    For some reason I don't understand, this thinking is controversial.

I hear about the Twinkie diet, it doesn't matter what you eat, blah, blah, blah. I think those of us here to lose weight truly want and need results. The things you listed can help our bodies run more efficiently. That's what I'm looking for. As consistent as possible results and things that contribute to my overall health.
  • Rocbola
    Options

Curious, what would happen if you didn't eat high quality calories but maintained a consistent caloric deficit?
    You may maintain your weight, but your health and fitness would probably suffer. And it would be a constant battle with your own hunger drive if you tried to eat under on calories, and ate a calorie dense diet.

And about the glutamate, many times, the glutamate found in processed foods is not MSG, but naturally occurring glutamate, isolated and concentrated, then added to your food.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    So if all I ate the whole day were two big macs and some fries (~1500) I wouldn't lose weight? ... I must be doing this wrong then.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

You may maintain your weight, but your health and fitness would probably suffer. And it would be a constant battle with your own hunger drive if you tried to eat under on calories, and ate a calorie dense diet.

And about the glutamate, many times, the glutamate found in processed foods is not MSG, but naturally occurring glutamate, isolated and concentrated, then added to your food.

Body composition is a whole different subject then simple weight loss. When people say calories in vs. Calories out, they're talking weight, not composition.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    So if all I ate the whole day were two big macs and some fries (~1500) I wouldn't lose weight? ... I must be doing this wrong then.
    Sure sounds like it. Are you looking for a short term weight loss today, or to live a fit, healthy life, at your ideal weight, while looking good, having clear skin, and having less risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, autoimmune diseases, etc?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Sure sounds like it. Are you looking for a short term weight loss today, or to live a fit, healthy life, at your ideal weight, while looking good, having clear skin, and having less risk for heart disease, cancer, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, autoimmune diseases, etc?

Do blood markers of health generally improve or worsen when losing weight regardless of the composition of the diet?
  • AllTehBeers
    Options

Because I was being completely serious...
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

Wrong answer. You wouldn't maintain at a deficit. You'd lose. Fitness suffer? Nope. I eat crap and stay pretttty fit. Never hungry either. MSG? I eat because I'm bored, not because I want more.
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    weight LOSS is calories in vs calories out.

what you are talking about is overall health and well being, which takes into account what you eat, not just how much. they are not the same, although they do go hand in hand.

but the actual losing weight *is* just math.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    this thread again, huh?
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Factor 1: STRESS

Effects calories out.
    Factor 2: HYDRATION

Effects calories out

Factor 3: UN-NATURALLY CONCENTRATED FOODS

Calories in
    Factor 3: UNDERNOURISHMENT

Irrelevant to fat loss
    FACTOR 4: TOXICITY/FOOD CHEMICALS

No effect at all on fat loss
    Factor 5: MSG

No effect at all on fat loss.
    Factor 6: ADDICTION

Calories in

themoreyouknow.jpg
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
  • Rocbola
    Options
    Haha i was wondering when mr swanson was going to chime in
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    this thread again, huh?

I think its required at least once a day.
  • Rocbola
    Options
    this thread again, huh?

I think its required at least once a day.
    If it bores you, why are you here commenting?
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I agree to a point. I don't disagree with what you said (in terms of it being a healthier diet to eat whole foods) however, I think for a lot of people here, they're already making a big lifestyle change by being aware of what they eat/starting to read labels/regulating how much they eat.

Lots of people have said the same thing you have in past posts but expecting people to do a complete 180 right away is not realistic (or fair). I think it's small steps for most people, progress looks different to everyone.

I think it's good to still make healthier suggestions to people but I think we also need to be understanding of where people are coming from.

I think it also ends up turning people off when they constantly get lectures about how what they eat isn't 'right'. This is their journey. Help if they ask but people need to laid off lecturing everyone who doesn't meet their standards. I think it would be really discouraging to hear constantly.