Is anyone training for something specific?

Options

Replies

• krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the site. Thus far, I like what I see. I do have a question however... Are most people here losing weight to "look good?" Is anyone training for something specific?

I've been a martial artist for 24 years (and typing that made me realize just how old and sad I am)... I'm training to support my midlife crisis. ;)

I'm wogging a half-marathon on the 4th of July. That was my motivation to start again!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    new here - i'm training for my next race which is color me rad a 5k in july. goal is to run the entire thing in less than 32 minutes (current time for a 5k). i plan on signing up for christmastown dash in dec (ran it 2 years ago in 1:14 - need to beat that time). ran warrior dash in may - first time ever doing a race like that finished in 1:24. oh and yes i'd like to drop 15lbs
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I am training to become better functionally. I do not care about how I look. I want to be a better motorcycle rider and better at things that demand a higher level of fitness.
  • coolcatcan
    coolcatcan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Will be training in a couple of months for Tough Mudder Dallas for October 2013!
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I joined the site so I can track my calorie intake and weight lose. I have recently started heavy lifting again and I am train for a 1/2 marathon.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a half marathon in Jan...can't wait!
  • Shou5
    Shou5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Training for life is what I'm doing. I've been into Martial Arts my whole life and use to compete in Asia when I was a kid all the way through my teenage life. My Grandfater was my Shidoshi/Grandmaster for many years and grew up with many Grandmasters in Japan, Philippines, & China. When I moved to the U.S. several years ago, I pretty much cut my training to nothing but workout a couple of times a week all the way through College and after I got married. and after my wife had 2 boys, my workout priorities and hobbies changed. I've been a big Rock Climber as far as I can remember and my 2 boys grew up Downhill Ski Racing for the Junior Olympic Team so my workout routine became less and less to spend more time helping them train. Last year, I was climbing over 10,000 feet when I had leg cramp and cramps on my arms while hanging on a rock trying to insert a cam into a crack. This scared me. I went to my doctor the next day and told him that something was definitely wrong. He told me I'm not getting any younger and that I have to stop eating anything I want and watch your diet, avoid drinking alcohol, and get back into a workout program. The bottom line is that if I want to keep up with these Olympic athlete friends on the hill on skis, rock climb, and live the outdoor hobbies you love, you need to change your eating habits and stay in shape.
    Anyway, I changed my diet completely, and monitored my calorie intake, I first started doubles and completed P90X, I completed Insanity Asylum, and last month just completed the modified version of X2 while putting in some punching bag/makiwara & Kendo time as well. I went from 189 lbs to 153 lbs. and got my six pack back. I went back to the same mountain and didn't have any problems. So far so good and much happier. The smartestthing I've ever done is get back on a training program to help me. I limit a 2 hour workout each day. That's it! I have nothing to prove anymore except stay in shape to be able to do the things I want to do that I enjoy doing. Martial Arts is still a big part of my life and always be. It's been a tradition in my family. It doesn't hurt to train hard even though I don't compete anymore.
    Paul
  • mawmawandlovingit
    mawmawandlovingit Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to be able to keep up with my twin 24 year old sons in the Warrior Dash in October. They are so encouraging and I am determined to make them proud of me! Hopefully I can kick their butts!!!
  • chrystee
    chrystee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie though.. I just want to look hot.. one day.
  • isa75
    isa75 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have a minor goal I am training for: a volunteer/vacation trip that is coming up (2 wks to go) doing weight lifting to be able to actually lift heavy, and cardio so I am not too exhausted at end of the days work.

My ultimate goal is get healthier, feel fitter, be able to lift heavier and slim down.

My boyfriend and I just started discussion a trip to Hawaii near the end of the year, so that may get put on as the minor goal once I am back from my volunteer trip: strong hiker body (which hopefully also means bikini body).
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Short term goals:
    Running 5K's for Alzheimer's, Diabetes and a 5K Mud Run (JailBreak).

I have always done 'walks' and I have a lot of friends who run these events. I am tired of walking alone so I am stepping up my game. I am learning that I actually like to run.

I am also simply training for life! :happy:

Best wishes with your goals.
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have decided to look at MFP as a way to help me get healthy! NOT dieting! And as for working out, I consider it as Training for the Color Run next year in Louisville, KY with an amazing side affect of losing weight. =D Looking at it differently helps me stay on track =)
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    Of course, to look ahhmazing in a bikini this summer is always a goal. lol.
    This summer or fall, doing a 10k...training for a 1/2 marathon!!! :-)
    Did 8 miles for the first time this weekend!!!! yaaaay!!
    And apparently I should also be worried about the zombie apocolypse?

You should always factor zombie attack into your daily routine. It's just practical...
  • AlexanderK1994
    AlexanderK1994 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    The zombie apocalypse, definitely... and to get more flexible. And to run a marathon. x)
  • gchutson
    Options
    The zombie apocalypse, definitely... and to get more flexible. And to run a marathon. x)

Don't get too flexible. Zombies like their meat tender.
  • gchutson
    Options
    Oh, I know all about mid-life crises. (I used to date older men. Now, I'm married to one.) The best thing you can do to train for that is to start sleeping with your secretary and buy a stupidly expensive car.

I'm not training for anything specific, though I did have plans to run a full marathon at one point. Now, however, my goal is to become very strong and maybe one day compete in a figure comp.

My secretary is a dude. So, that's just not gonna happen.
  • ryanpayne4
    ryanpayne4 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm training to pass the Air Force Fitness test. There are a lot of people here who are training to be healthier, and to look better. But there are also a lot of people training for a specific purpose.

Same here. In the process of enlisting.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    Im training for a rowing marathon which is 31miles and a 7k race in an 8 but im always rowing training
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    OMG... somebody answered my answer- training for the zombie apocalypse.
    or just the apocalypse, but if there aren't zombies, then it will be less exciting.
    maybe I am just training for life... you know, in general.
    8)
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    a sports specfic and fitness and body building photoshoot....ooofduh.