Why are you fat???

Options

Replies

• dmwells3
    dmwells3 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is a combination of things. I never lost all the baby weight I gaines. I think I held on to the last 10 lbs and stayed there for about 10 years. I then got a mirena and at the same time stoped smoking. I gained another 45 lbs.
    I went to the gym 5 days a week and ate only 1500 cals a day for 2 years. I recently forund out that the Mirena is a major contributor to my weight gain and it makes it almost impossible to lose the weight once it comes on. I am having it removed next month and once my body is back on a regular cycle, I should see some loss.
    I also have a naturaly slow matabelism(?) so my doctor wants to run a complete blood panel 6 months after removal. For thoes who don't know, Mirena is the IUD version of Deppo, and Deppo is famous for weight gain. Wish I knew that before I got it.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My reasons are simple....I love food. And not the good kind...pizza, chocolate, burgers. An I never met a carb I didn't like. But same as a lot of people...

Got Married - gained about 20 lbs in 3 yrs (did I mention my husband is a hell of a good cook?)
    Broke my leg and was on crutches/couch bound for 8 weeks - gained another 10-15 or so
    Got pregnant - there's another 15
    Got pregnant again 2.5 years later - there's another 10.

So I'm now down to my pre-pregnancy weight and I'm working on getting to my pre-broken leg weight. Then I'll work towards my wedding weight!
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Well it started when I was 16. Mom got sick. I got stuck in a forgin land (Germany), depresion, and then went to high school for the first time.

Everything combined was well, the way I gained weight.

I also quit riding.
  • FrauHausMaus
    FrauHausMaus Posts: 194
    Options
    At first, I was happy. I'm married to a big guy who loves my southern cooking, and so we ate joyfully. As my waistline grew, I ate because I was depressed about being fat.

I can't blame the babies, since I lost my baby weight after both pregnancies.

Also, I love to cook. I used to work in a Greek/Italian restaurant, I was raised by a string of fine (fat) southern cooks, and now I am paying for it. Grr.....
  • hfzimmerman
    hfzimmerman Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm fat for many reasons..I honestly don't ever remember being anything but fat. I know when I was three I had heart surgery and since then just keep getting bigger. Growing up I was always made fun of so I'd turn to food I also ended up being molested for awhile and again turned to food to help fill my void. For me its always been something, it use to be food than self harm than smoking, drinking, drugs than back to food. I lost some weight around the time I got married that was mainly due to constantly being on the go and not remembering to eat (school, work etc) after getting married I got an extremely sedatary job. I literally sit in one spot all day long that I'm not allowed to leave unless someone relieves me, I hate this job because of my management but I need it so being depressed and bored I began eating and eating a LOT. I've been better about eating healthier and not as much except when it comes to sweets they are my weakness. I only drink water and milk so sweet drinks are not a problem its more ice cream, cookie dough that kind of thing. That's why I'm fat
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat any more... But I was fat because I didn't do anything and ate whatever I wanted.
  • NikkiLaFleur
    Options
    Pretty sure my problem isn't what I eat, but how much. I'm pretty greedy. Also it's been hard to work out with a back injury. But I'm going to begin the 30 Day Shred hopefully Tuesday. Kinda tired of looking like this
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Older age and change in metabolism as well as laziness. Our routines change greatly with age :)
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I am fat for a lot of reasons. I have a hormonal imbalance caused by PCOS that I have been dealing with since I was in my teens. Carry all my weight in the middle part of my body. Never was a skinny kid but didn't really eat a lot of junk because my family had a garden. So I learned to love veggies and other foods..just never had much portion control. Snuck food constantly when I was a kid at my grandparents because she always complained that I ate too much..and then she would get made when we didn't clean our plates. Kind of a double edged sword either way. As I became older, I dealt with emotional eating after my parents divorce and not as much exercise. I was the indoor - I will clean house kind of girl as opposed to lets go outside kind of girl. And laziness too I am sure has a lot to do with it.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because in the space of nine months I lost my mother to cancer, my child, caught my ex cheating and lost my brother to a hit and run. Between these losses I medicated myself with food. At the end of it I was 300 pounds and still grieving. I realized I was only hurting myself so got my *kitten* into gear. Now Im 41 pounds lighter, 400 percent happier and dealing with my emotions in a healthier, happier way.
  • plbrown81
    plbrown81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It is a combination of things. I never lost all the baby weight I gaines. I think I held on to the last 10 lbs and stayed there for about 10 years. I then got a mirena and at the same time stoped smoking. I gained another 45 lbs.
    I went to the gym 5 days a week and ate only 1500 cals a day for 2 years. I recently forund out that the Mirena is a major contributor to my weight gain and it makes it almost impossible to lose the weight once it comes on. I am having it removed next month and once my body is back on a regular cycle, I should see some loss.
    I also have a naturaly slow matabelism(?) so my doctor wants to run a complete blood panel 6 months after removal. For thoes who don't know, Mirena is the IUD version of Deppo, and Deppo is famous for weight gain. Wish I knew that before I got it.

I'm so afraid of this. I've had BC problems for years - they either cause migraines or cause stomach cramping or uncontrollable weight gain, etc. But I have hormonal issues, and my fiance and I are not ready to have children...so after talking with my OB we decided to go with Mirena and see if it works. I'm MORE afraid of chronic migraines than I am of weight gain, but I am TERRIFIED that I'm going to start gaining weight or just not be able to move the fat that's already on there.

I know I'm fat because I don't eat right - too much bad food, not enough good food. Plus last year I was in a car accident and I ended up with a back injury that took a few months to get better. By the time I was able to work out more regularly I'd put on about 20 lbs +, and I went into a really stressful semester of school. Between eating too much, not working out enough, and eating all the bad stuff I've managed to pack on about 30 lbs since this time last year. ACK!

I know what I need to do, but I'm weak. I lack self control and motivation some days. I want to feel good about myself, but keep self sabotaging. I'm hoping that I can overcome it and really get on track again! With 30 lbs to lose it's much more daunting than it has been in the past!
  • Aurora76
    Aurora76 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a lot of personal issues from my life that I didn't want to deal with and instead I ate sugary stuff to make the pain go away. Like people drink or do drugs to make the pain go away I ate food. I use to eat sugar until my teeth hurt, until my jaw hurt and I felt sick to my stomach. It was disgusting. I ate feelings until I couldn't do it anymore. I had to stop because it wasn't making them go away it was making it worse.

Now it's 2012 and I'm fully invested in making myself into who I want to be.
    So I got my diet in order and stopped eating sugary crap everyday all day long. Detoxing from sugar was hell but so worth it. As of very recently I love working out because it makes me feel good. I have yet to feel like crap after a workout. I love feeling healthy. I love feel balanced. My personal issues are still here but I'm working on them.
  • lmbw126
    lmbw126 Posts: 24
    Options
    This time around I am fat because of graduate (nursing) school.... I lost 75lbs and was so HAPPY. I met the man who I am currently married to got super comfortable with diet and exercise and next thing I know I have gained back 90lbs and became and emotional eater. Some people smoke...others drink...I EAT when stressed. So that is why I am fat for now.
  • SCVSarah
    SCVSarah Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I lived with my ex and he could eat whatever he wanted, so we constantly had crap in the house and it triggered my binge eating. I stopped watching what I ate for about a year and viola the next thing I know I was 40lbs heavier.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I eat too much and I don't exercise near enough...

Yeah, that about sums it up.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    My reasons all point to me and my bad habits....Yes I had life troubles, like relationships, death of my mom, and good times hanging....But in the end...I could have taken control of my addiction to foods but I didn't...I would eat and over and over again.... My love for breads, sweets, garlic, buttery foods...were unreal....Glad that I finally decided to make a change for myself and learn how to enjoy while doing it.....
  • kateflourishes
    kateflourishes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    all my excuses are on my profile but a few of them include
    - fat family
    - desk job
    - hypothyroidism
    - pregnancy.

And yet here I am, succeeding at being healthy. Those excuses mean NOTHING to me anymore!
  • trblmakr23
    trblmakr23 Posts: 44
    Options
    I had too had lot of personal issues going on with my life, including the death of my daughter, I could no longer handle the stress. And I just gave up. I didn't care anymore. I became an emotional eater BIGGGGG time, which was my way to cope I guess. Didn't really have support or motivation, so food became my friend. Which in a way is ironic as I had anorexia tendencies most of my adult life and was pretty thin for the most part even through my pregnancy. Gained about 60lbs now, and now overweight. Just recently had my "holy crap" moment or Aha momen , and working my way back down the healthy way.:smile:
  • Tashmayes
    Tashmayes Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my whole life. Grew up in a household where healthy food was never an option. It was take out, canned, processed, sugary crap. I learned early that this is how you eat. Once I hit my late teens i had a significant event happen in my life that caused me to be depressed. I self soothed by eating crap. I saw a pic when i was 21 (2001) and realized i needed to lose weight. Lost 100lbs. Got pregnant (twice) and am now needing to lose around 20. I really don't have an excuse now. I ate too much when i was expecting and exercised too little. But I'm on my way now.
  • aundreyswife
    Options
    I had 2 kids in less than 2 years...the 2nd one was a c section
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!