Options

Replies

• mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How old are you?

How much have you lost?

29 pounds so far - 51 more to go

How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?

I am disabled & cannot exercise so it is SLOW! Jan1- June 9th to lose the 29 so far. Mentally, it is a struggle every day.

How long have you kept it off?

Still losing...

What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy?

Counting calories & staying over my BMR . Even for me the calories that MFP put me at were too low!
    Check out the Eat more to weigh less group....
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    --How old are you? (you don't have to be specific if you don't want to...you can just say 50's, 60's 40's--whatever, okay
    Turned 59 last month

--How much have you lost?
    58 pounds in about 9 months, beginning in January, 2011.

--How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?
    I was "soft" in my young adulthood because I didn't exercise enough, but didn't begin to develop a serious weight problem until the latter half of my 40s. My BMI didn't cross the line into the overweight range until after menopause, past 50, and never quite reached the obese range. I was already having some of the health problems associated with obesity, though.

--How long have you kept it off?
    8 months

--What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy?
    I run every other day and cook nearly all of my meals at home and from scratch. One of the big contributors to my weight gain, along with age and menopause, was a big change in my eating habits driven by a change in my cooking habits. We were eating out once or twice a week and eating a lot more processed foods at home. Those bagged meals for two can become a convenience trap when you're down to only two in your household.

For me, just getting back in the habit of applying good portion control to mostly real food was 90% of the job done. And by "real" I mean "real" as opposed to "processed," but also "real" as opposed to "diet." I think of it as the "start as you mean to continue" diet.

I've changed my cooking practices some to reduce calories (not much fried foods and a lot less fat for seasoning), but for the most part I lost the weight and have kept it off by eating standard full sized servings of the full range of foods I knew I would want to eat for the rest of my life. I just didn't eat seconds or over sized servings of anything other than non-starchy vegetables, and I don't snack in an uncontrolled way between meals. Sometimes I have to make choices in order to stay within my calorie budget. For example, I may eat a baked potato or a dinner roll, but not both at the same meal. Or spaghetti or garlic bread, but not both at the same meal. But for the most part I can eat just about any home cooked entree with whatever seems to go with that entree without blowing my calorie budget for the day. It's not that I don't eat a lot of things that are commonly thought of as being good diet foods, I just don't treat them as special diet foods or eat them often enough to get burned out on them.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I'm 41 years old- 42 next month
    lost 56 lbs since January 2012
    Combination of eating right (no cheating) and exercising 6 days a week playing basketball or running.
    I still have 7 lbs to lose (goal is 199- onederland)

to stay healthy, I have changed my food choices to healthier ones and found replacement foods for my favorites. (turkey burgers vs. regular burgers)
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    51. Lost 30lbs since February 29th. Started P90x on March 29th after losing an initial 10 lbs. I started at 226.6 and I'm now at 196.0. Intermittent fasting Leangains style. I have a base calorie goal of 1700 and try my best to eat my exercise calories....on most days the total requirement is 2100-2300.
  • sdevan45
    sdevan45 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I did it at 60. All it took was my doctor saying to me, "You're Type II. Keep it up and your feet will fall off." I got serious about it the next day, went to a great nutrition class at a local hospital, dropped 80 lbs and have kept it off. Diet, exercising, logging, measuring food and MFP support. I take no meds and my blood work is entirely in the normal range. I use MFP to keep it that way.
  • kimber0607
    kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm only 39... But am thinking a healthy body is an awesome 40th birthday gift to myself... I've got until November 15th to get the rest of the weight off! I started in November and have lost 72lbs so far.

I like the way u say 'ONL'Y 39..///39 here as well:heart:
    Lost 26/27 pounds 4 yrs ago..go up and down a few pounds but have kept the majority off the weight off
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    51. Lost 30lbs since February 29th. Started P90x on March 29th after losing an initial 10 lbs. I started at 226.6 and I'm now at 196.0. Intermittent fasting Leangains style. I have a base calorie goal of 1700 and try my best to eat my exercise calories....on most days the total requirement is 2100-2300.

Awesome! I'm 51 as well and started P90X the day after the Super Bowl in February. I'm now doing a P90X/Insanity Hybrid. The exercise combined with a healthier diet has allowed me to lose 25 lbs so far. Still would like to lose another 18 lbs.
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am almost 63. I started MFP this January with the goal of losing 1 pound a week until I get to my goal. This is my 23rd week and I have lost 23 pounds so far, so I am right on track. I know it will take me over a year to get to my goal, which is "64 BY 64". I have done it by changing my eating habits, eating as clean as possible and tracking everything that goes into my mouth as honestly as possible and exercising as many days a week as I can manage, with either walking or swimming. I am a little terrified that I will gain it back after I reach my goal, so I intend to continue logging my food and exercise to help keep myself on the "straight and narrow". I have a naturally slow metabolism and gain weight very quickly, so I know this will be for the rest of my life.
  • cindyb6045
    cindyb6045 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm 45, and this is my third time losing a significant amount of weight. I can't go through all this again, so I really need to stick with it! I've lost almost 150 pounds since February 2011.

I'm eating generally better and getting exercise, though not much more than just walking so far. I feel much better, and clothes shopping has gone from something I avoid to something I wish I could afford to do more often. :drinker: :happy:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You'll find lots of us here!
    I'm 45 and lost 22kg (nearly 50 pounds) in about 9 months last year.
    Since then I have put 3 kg back on - simply because I started to slide back into some of my old bad habits (too much chocolate!).
    But, I'm determined not to let the scale go up any more, it's back to good habits again.
    My best advice:
    - find some exercise you enjoy and can keep up for the long term. For me it's running.
    - find a way of eating that you can keep up forever. For me that means eating mostly home cooked foods made from real ingredients ( not too much processed stuff) and keeping high-cal, low-nutrition treats to a minimum.
    - don't give up everything you enjoy and don't panic about family events or eating out. If you eat too much one day, log it and move on.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm 42, down 60lbs so far with another 55 ish to go. I've been id'd at least 3 times since February and loving this new life! I eat clean/healthy and work out 4 days a week. I have lowered my blood pressure, stopped taking all medications and am healthier than I have been since I was 16.

Everything is better!

Just relax and start enjoying the little things in life. I cook all my meals and very very occasionally eat out. Saves money that I can now spend on new clothes :)

Life is good.
  • pukekolive
    pukekolive Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    to read later
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have lost 56 pounds. I've been at it since December 2010 but started MFP in September 2011 (I didn't find out about MFP until then). I have hypothyroidism, hypoglycemia, and metabolic stress so it takes me a lot longer to lose the weight than most. I log my food every day, drink half my body weight in ounces per day, and eat as cleanly as possible. 80% of my diet consists of veggies, organic meats, raw nuts & seeds, protein powder, unsweetened almond milk, coconut oil, olive oil, eggs, etc. In other words, little to no prepackaged foods. I have found that during those times when I'm able to exercise more, the weight comes off more steadily. I have 25 more pounds to lose to reach my goal weight. It will probably take me at least the rest of this year, but that's okay. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sleepychat
    Options
    I'm going to be 58yrs in 2 months, just started yesterday so I haven't lost anything yet...but for sure I will keep you posted.....and Way to go everyone for all your hard work in loosing the pounds and kilo's......keep up the good work
  • petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    How much have you lost?
    60+
    How long did it take you to lose the weight (and/or issues/attitudes that kept you overweight/obese)?
    1 year
    How long have you kept it off?
    All year.
    What did you do/are doing to STAY slim and healthy?
    Run 4 days a week, play hockey 2 days.
    Stick to my calories and log everyday.
    Only eat whole grains, fruit, veggies, low fat dairy, lean red meat, chicken and fish.
    Pics and details here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow
    Please do share, okay?
  • Lainnee
    Lainnee Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and have only lost 4 lbs so far. Am looking to be a success story....so I'm saving this thread for inspiration to read later.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!