Replies

• acresfield
    acresfield Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    great question
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    burn the fat feed the muscle gives good basic info on all of this.
    from what I've read its something that has to be very slowly. and there is only so much cardio you can do its not simply eating less and doing yet more cardio.
    it might take a year unfortunately we all want to lose 1 kg a week!
    Intermittent fasting works well for some people too (I find the six small meals a day theory can leave you feeling constantly deprived as you never get to have a full meal).
    you have to look at different options and find something that works well for you.
    I think you can definitely over thing all these macros and calorie counting it can drive you nuts. Good to get in tune with your body and what you feel you need more.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Everyone (termed loosely) on here says you can't build muscle while losing fat.

Though I've seen contestants on The Biggest Loser do it all the time, so I believe it is possible.

Understand that those huge guys of 300-400 lbs have a lot of muscle to start with. Just to raise a huge fat arm takes a lot of strength. You obviously can't see the muscle through all the fat but as that gets burned away, the muscle becomes visible

They are losing loads of fat whilst retaining as much muscle as possible. In fact, it would be almost impossible for those guys to increase muscle mass if you looked at their stats and did the maths

Michael Ventrella
    Weight = 526lbs
    Bodyfat percentage = 54%
    Lean muscle mass = 241lbs
    Note:
    Any BMI ≥ 35 or 40 is severe obesity
    A BMI of ≥ 35 or 40–44.9 or 49.9 is morbid obesity
    A BMI of ≥ 45 or 50 is super obesity

Now = 262lbs
    It appears he gained muscle - but if all his loss was fat then his stats would look like this:

262lbs
    Lean muscle mass = 242 lbs
    Fat = 20lbs
    7% bodyfat!!!

Imagine if he GAINED musclemass whilst on his diet! No chance!
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The single most important factor affecting whether an athlete will gain muscle mass is energy consumption
    (that’s right, not protein consumption). If carbohydrate and energy intakes are too low, lean mass will not
    increase. Building muscle tissue costs energy, and requires additional amounts of minerals and other
    micronutrients. Further research is needed to determine exactly which and how much of each of the
    nutrients is needed.
    Practical tips for gaining muscle mass
    • Incorporate resistance exercises into the training program – resistance exercise will stimulate muscle
    growth and development
    • Set realistic weight and strength goals. If an athlete increases their body mass by 2-4 kg in a month,
    then they are doing very well.
    • Aim for the athlete to have an energy surplus of 500-1000kcal per day. The extra food needs to
    supply carbohydrates for training energy and protein and micronutrients for muscle growth and
    development.
    • Smaller, more frequent meals will allow the athlete to take in extra energy without feeling bloated.
    • It can be helpful to incorporate some simple carbohydrates as well as complex, bulky carbohydrates.
    This means the athlete can still meet their energy needs without excessive bloating.
    • It may be necessary to decrease fibre intake and to use white cereal products such as white rice.
    Whilst this may not be advisable in the long term, it can be effective for short term goals.
    • High energy, low bulk liquid foods may be useful for provision of a nutritious energy without bulk.
    Examples include fruit smoothies and commercial liquid meal supplements.
    • Get the athlete to keep a food diary of everything they eat. This allows them to identify how to
    improve their eating, and to determine whether they are missing out on eating opportunities.

This is taken from one of my lessons (I am training to be a sports nutritionist) Does this help at all? I haven't read all the other rpelies, sorry, I am at work
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    (construction, heavy lifting 3x a week, no cardio...God I hate cardio).
    Me too. And I'm a cardio instructor! But kickboxing makes it so much easier for me to do than going on a treadmill or an elliptical for a long time. That's why I'm a fan of Tabata Protocol. Short and sweet, but hard as hell.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    The single most important factor affecting whether an athlete will gain muscle mass is energy consumption
    (that’s right, not protein consumption). If carbohydrate and energy intakes are too low, lean mass will not
    increase. Building muscle tissue costs energy, and requires additional amounts of minerals and other
    micronutrients. Further research is needed to determine exactly which and how much of each of the
    nutrients is needed.
    • Incorporate resistance exercises into the training program – resistance exercise will stimulate muscle
    growth and development
    • Set realistic weight and strength goals. If an athlete increases their body mass by 2-4 kg in a month,
    • Aim for the athlete to have an energy surplus of 500-1000kcal per day. The extra food needs to
    supply carbohydrates for training energy and protein and micronutrients for muscle growth and
    development.
    • Smaller, more frequent meals will allow the athlete to take in extra energy without feeling bloated.
    • It can be helpful to incorporate some simple carbohydrates as well as complex, bulky carbohydrates.
    This means the athlete can still meet their energy needs without excessive bloating.
    • It may be necessary to decrease fibre intake and to use white cereal products such as white rice.
    Whilst this may not be advisable in the long term, it can be effective for short term goals.
    • High energy, low bulk liquid foods may be useful for provision of a nutritious energy without bulk.
    • Get the athlete to keep a food diary of everything they eat. This allows them to identify how to
    improve their eating, and to determine whether they are missing out on eating opportunities.

This is taken from one of my lessons (I am training to be a sports nutritionist) Does this help at all? I haven't read all the other rpelies, sorry, I am at work
    I agree with most with one exception.............while carbs are needed to increase energy, inadequate protein consumption will deter muscle building. Muscle can't be built from carbs and fats.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    are you sure about your weight goals???? I am a 5'11" female and weigh 178, Im trying to get to the 160's...i think that would be awfully low for a guy who want to be ripped.

Yeah, a 5'11" tall male who weighed in the 160's would probably look manorexic. If I were the OP, I'd switch from cutting to bulking before I got into the 160's.

And don't worry about BMI. That's not designed for people who do resistance training (actually it's not designed for anyone, just for population studies).
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    nutrients is needed.
    growth and development
    development.

I agree with most with one exception.............while carbs are needed to increase energy, inadequate protein consumption will deter muscle building. Muscle can't be built from carbs and fats.

I need you to explain that in my examIner then please as this came from my assignment read up and I have to answer this question as one of my assignments. lol. I completely agree with you and believe that protein is very important, I also believe the creatin is essential but that was questioned too when I submitted my last report!! :-0

IDEA Fitness member
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My husband and i do DEXA scans to track our progress. Between 8/11 and 3/12, he lost 36.5 pounds. At the same time, he increased his lean mass from 147.1 to 152.1 pounds. His fat mass changed from 99.1 pounds to 58.9 pounds.

So yes, it can be done. But it's hard work.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    My husband and i do DEXA scans to track our progress. Between 8/11 and 3/12, he lost 36.5 pounds. At the same time, he increased his lean mass from 147.1 to 152.1 pounds. His fat mass changed from 99.1 pounds to 58.9 pounds.

Untrained beginners are the exception, and your husband's progress is typical (small gain in LBM in the face of a much larger fat loss). Also keep in mind that "lean mass" refers to more than just muscle (water, bone density, stomach contents, etc.).
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, 5lb is a wizz in the ocean. It's not possible. Otherwise, why do you think I don't do that?
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Okay...anyone else feel im eating to low of cals? 1500 to low?

Unless you're a woman that's 5'3" and trying to lose weight then I would say yes. I'm 6' 2" and doing 2200 - 2500 a day and losing quite easily. I've made some strength gains since I got more serious about using the gym (Shoulder injury last year) but I wouldn't say that I'm adding muscle. Hopefully just keeping what I have while I trim down the body fat. That's a good enough goal I think for now. I'll work on adding some muscle later. I'm actually going to switch to maintenance when I get to 220 and just see how that plays out for a few months.

As someone else noted ignore the BMI score. Mine is around 29 at the moment.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    With all due respect, 5lb is a wizz in the ocean. It's not possible. Otherwise, why do you think I don't do that?

And 5lbs on a 200lb+ guy is an enlarged prostate wizz in the ocean.
  • shamr0ck
    Options

Untrained beginners are the exception, and your husband's progress is typical (small gain in LBM in the face of a much larger fat loss). Also keep in mind that "lean mass" refers to more than just muscle (water, bone density, stomach contents, etc.).

Given that he'd already been working out for 2 years and had lost 60 pounds previous to when we started doing DEXA to track, your logic is flawed.

Yes, lean mass includes more than muscle. Have you ever seen a DEXA report? It shows each of the changes. He lost almost 3% bone mass in this time frame, so that wasn't it.

And yes, 5lbs may not seem like much to a dedicated lifter that wants to gain to compete in a higher class. But for my sedentary, desk bound husband, it's huge. And i don't recall the question being "can i put on a ton of muscle while also losing fat" but "is it possible to build muscle while also losing fat".

So the answer, in our limited study of my husband and myself, is yes. Using the best scientific tools to track, not a pair of calipers and a measuring tape.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Given that he'd already been working out for 2 years and had lost 60 pounds previous to when we started doing DEXA to track, your logic is flawed.

Yes, lean mass includes more than muscle. Have you ever seen a DEXA report? It shows each of the changes. He lost almost 3% bone mass in this time frame, so that wasn't it.

How accurate do you really think DEXA is? You may be surprised.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=260

The changes you're reporting fall well within the margin of error for this method.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

The changes you're reporting fall well within the margin of error for this method.

That surpised me at least. I have been 'touting' how accurate a DEXA scan was and it seems like a much cheaper hydrostatic test may be as good, if not better. I also wondered about the water weight (i.e. where that was in the report) but is seems from this article that it may be included in the LBM and that, indirectly, can impact the BF% calculation. Which is a little annoying if it is as the clinic I went to have one done made no comment about hydration requirements/levels before going in.

It was good to know that I had good bone density though:happy:
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Gaining muscle = calorie surplus

Losing fat = calorie deficit

Doing both at the same time = impossible unless genetic freak or new to training as the body adjusts.

Let the bro science begin.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Doing both at the same time = impossible unless genetic freak or new to training as the body adjusts.

Would you like to add anything that actually supports or refutes the statement?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Would you like to add anything that actually supports or refutes the statement?

Just what I was wondering.
  • shamr0ck
    Options

Heh. I research everything. I've seen the article you link, as well as many others. No, the accuracy reports don't surprise me - DEXA is *still* much more accurate than calipers, which is what 95% of the folks i talk to use to quantify their bodyfat. We use the same machine each time, and we both hydrate well, so the chances of error based on those two factors is low.

I realize i'm not going to change anyone's hard and fast opinion, but i doubt that my husband and i fall outside the norm, and we have both managed to increase muscle mass while simultaneously losing fat mass. No, we do not claim to have gained 40 pounds of muscle while dropping 80 pounds of fat. We're happy with small but steady gains. :D