Calling all Naturalistas and Long Hair Divas!!!

Options

Replies

• Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    A group was just created for Long hair and Natural Divas by a fellow Long hair Diva. Long/Natural Hair Divas. Check it out for support, tips and tricks for growing, maintaining and loving your locs :love:
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a daughter with very very curly hair (1/4 black), how do you make a 3 year old's hair look good the second day ? if it is even possible with out a conditioner rinse.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Long hair, checking in. Long, curly, messy hair past my waist. Why? Because I don't feel like being a Hillary Clinton Clone (this is how I categorize most shorthairs, which is not very nice, I know, but why do so many women go for the same exact haircut when they hit middle age?).

Tip for long hairs with split ends: I recently acquired the new TreSemme shampoo and conditioner for split ends, and I'm sad to report that it gives me 'poo dandruff, so be warned.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I have curly/wavy hair. I'm trying to grow it out. I want to grow it out to my waist. My hair hasn't been that long since I was about 12.

I use shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve. You can google to see their products, but I warn you, they are addictive! :) They have so many shampoo bars, you will definitely want to try more than one. I recommend buying sample bars until you find the best one(s) for your hair/scalp type.

Sometimes, I use an apple cider vinegar+cool water+peppermint oil as a conditioner. The vinegar gets a little strong, so, use oils with it!

Sometimes I use Suave Rosemary and Mint conditioner, only because it was what I had leftover from before I went to shampoo bars. When I run out of it, I will try something more natural.

I also use Lush's H'Suan Wen Hua. It it a bit stinky, but makes my hair feel amazing.

I do not use any other products in my hair. I usually let air dry, and scrunch every few minutes to get the curls shaped. If I blow dry, I scrunch as I go, and never fully dry.

I haven't cut/trimmed my hair in a year and several (four?) months. I have no split ends. I have stopped dying my hair, which I last did with my last cut. I have some greys; so, I may try a coffee stain to cover those.
  • amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    This makes me a bit sad.I recently chopped off all my hair, it was down to my butt. BUT, I donated it to Locks of Love, so it was for a good cause. I am interested in growing it out again. I don't ever dye my hair, either. I also don't blow dry or anything really ever, except, on the rare occasion, straightening it if I sleep on it funny. I also don't get it cut. If I notice any split ends, I trim them myself.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-hair, for sure! I had a trim in Feb. and cut off about six inches, and it was still at my butt... I had to do something... I was so tired of sitting on it, and having it get shut in doors and windows too! I use Organixx shampoo and conditioner, and only dry and curl my hair very rarely, about two times a year. It's straight for the most part, but I put it in a bun after I get out of the shower so it dries with a bit of twist. I've been tossing around the idea of doing a drastic short cut when I get to goal weight though... I've had hair like this for about 10 years I'd guess and I'm ready for a change.

How cool is this... I think I pulled out a lot of hairs from one spot when I was doing my hair a certain way every day, and I hadn't thought about it, but I started paying attention to my diet and exercising a few months ago (and also the way I put my hair up), and I totally have new frizz growing out from my weird thin spot! Neat!
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I have curly/wavy hair. I'm trying to grow it out. I want to grow it out to my waist. My hair hasn't been that long since I was about 12.

I use shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve. You can google to see their products, but I warn you, they are addictive! :) They have so many shampoo bars, you will definitely want to try more than one. I recommend buying sample bars until you find the best one(s) for your hair/scalp type.

Sometimes, I use an apple cider vinegar+cool water+peppermint oil as a conditioner. The vinegar gets a little strong, so, use oils with it!

Sometimes I use Suave Rosemary and Mint conditioner, only because it was what I had leftover from before I went to shampoo bars. When I run out of it, I will try something more natural.

I also use Lush's H'Suan Wen Hua. It it a bit stinky, but makes my hair feel amazing.

I do not use any other products in my hair. I usually let air dry, and scrunch every few minutes to get the curls shaped. If I blow dry, I scrunch as I go, and never fully dry.

I haven't cut/trimmed my hair in a year and several (four?) months. I have no split ends. I have stopped dying my hair, which I last did with my last cut. I have some greys; so, I may try a coffee stain to cover those.

Sounds lovely. I love new tips and products. Thanx for sharing :-)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    This makes me a bit sad.I recently chopped off all my hair, it was down to my butt. BUT, I donated it to Locks of Love, so it was for a good cause. I am interested in growing it out again. I don't ever dye my hair, either. I also don't blow dry or anything really ever, except, on the rare occasion, straightening it if I sleep on it funny. I also don't get it cut. If I notice any split ends, I trim them myself.

Dont be sad, it was for an amazing cause!! It will always grow back. And the way you take care of it, should grow back in no time. thanx for sharing
  • Tristis
    Options
    I have a daughter with very very curly hair (1/4 black), how do you make a 3 year old's hair look good the second day ? if it is even possible with out a conditioner rinse.

I am also 1/4 black. My mom used to braid my hair at night. Today, I sometimes put my hair in a bun, if I take a nightly shower, so my hair will look good in the morning. I use big bobby pins, but you could use a sock bun on your daughter at night and remove for nearly perfect hair in the morning when you take it down. Do not brush it, or you brush the curls out.

I hope this helps! :)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I'm a long-hair, for sure! I had a trim in Feb. and cut off about six inches, and it was still at my butt... I had to do something... I was so tired of sitting on it, and having it get shut in doors and windows too! I use Organixx shampoo and conditioner, and only dry and curl my hair very rarely, about two times a year. It's straight for the most part, but I put it in a bun after I get out of the shower so it dries with a bit of twist. I've been tossing around the idea of doing a drastic short cut when I get to goal weight though... I've had hair like this for about 10 years I'd guess and I'm ready for a change.

How cool is this... I think I pulled out a lot of hairs from one spot when I was doing my hair a certain way every day, and I hadn't thought about it, but I started paying attention to my diet and exercising a few months ago (and also the way I put my hair up), and I totally have new frizz growing out from my weird thin spot! Neat!

that is a great point about the styling and how repeated tension can cause fallout. I love it. thanx for that tip
  • Tristis
    Options

Sounds lovely. I love new tips and products. Thanx for sharing :-)

Not a problem. You can go to youtube and search "chagrin shampoo bars" for some tips on how to use shampoo bars from some natural women. Your hair may take some time to get used to it, but I don't think I would ever go back to traditional 'poos. My scalp and hair are much healthier.
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options
    Has anyone tried the WEN products? I don't have an abundance of extra $ so I'm wondering of it's worth the cost. My hair is now almost to my shoulder blades, and my goal is waist length.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    My hair was to my waist 3 different times before I started losing weight. I was alternating between cutting it and donating to Locks of Love and Pantene's Beautiful Lengths programs, but sadly, my hair started to fall out by the handfuls and clumps when I lost about 40-50 lbs. It's not growing back and I nearly burst into tears when I put it in a ponytail now. My ponytail was so thick on my hair donations that they had to cut through it in 3 sections and my 13" ponytail donations each weighed over 1/2 lb. when mailed (hair weight minus packing and envelope weight too), now, it's barely the size of a quarter in circumference. I'm taking a ton of biotin and went through many weeks of metabolic testing with no answer. I miss my long beautiful hair. It was stick straight at the roots until about my shoulder blades, then it fell in these golden twisting curls far enough down my back that I could tuck it into the back pocket of my jeans. All of you that still have your hair are so lucky!!!!

Don't cry too much yet. My hair was down past my tailbone and it was this gorgeous cascade of gold. Then my now ex-husband left, I cried all the time, stopped eating much, lost 50 lbs, became allergic to every soap possible and almost everything else and my hair started falling out. It was a scraggly mess and I cried over it all the time.

I got it chopped to my shoulders and now it's down past my shoulders as the gal messed up the cut so bad I wanted to scream. Now, it's growing out all thick and becoming pretty again. I had a HUGE ponytail and then went to barely half that. Now it's getting healthier all the time. It'll often come back.
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    I'm a curly.. I'm currently doing the conditioner method with a little aloe vera gel... I straightened a piece in the back to see how long it is and its to the nape of my back... its to my shoulders curly.. I'm interested in the wen too...
  • fatchiick
    fatchiick Posts: 105
    Options
    ....oops...
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Has anyone tried the WEN products? I don't have an abundance of extra $ so I'm wondering of it's worth the cost. My hair is now almost to my shoulder blades, and my goal is waist length.

I have tried and LOVE WEN. Its is so worth the money. So save up and ask for it on birthdays and holidays.lol. It has brought my once dry brittle hair back to life
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options

I buy the generic form of wen called "one hair" from Sally beauty supply for $13. it works GREAT!!!
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My hair goes down to my elbows... but not growing it out for naturalistic reasons... just lazy :)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    My hair goes down to my elbows... but not growing it out for naturalistic reasons... just lazy :)

Lol. Oh,. Thats still nice too. You could easily chop it off yourself, but you decided to keep it long :happy:
  • returntorural
    returntorural Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I started growing mine out from a pixie cut with blonde highlights (stupid idea!) and have pledged not to cut it while I'm on this healthy journey. It's just past my ears now and is the perfect length to show off my natural curls. The curls straighten out as my hair gets longer. My goal is waist-length natural hair which I'll then let dread. I used to have dreadlocks but cut them off to look more professional for the job I had at the time. That was over 2 1/2 years ago and I still regret it!