Would you hire an obese trainer???

Options

Replies

• ElleEmmeKay
    Options
    A nutritionist knows food, a trainer knows strength... you can be obese and strong. I dont know that I would hire an obese trainer because they arent balanced clearly... but i just wanted to clarify that trainers arent nutritionists and nutritionists arent trainers. wellness as a whole should be practiced by both but they arent educated in their schooling to do the other.
  • Boomer1946
    Boomer1946 Posts: 124
    Options
    Only if I wanted to see butt crack.

Tom

:smile:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    it depends...what if they are experiencing a personal issue that is none of my business and as a result are on medications that cause weight gain?

it happens....

if they are certified, if they know their stuff, and if they are willing to work hard with me...sure...

but if they aren't certified, if they don't know their stuff and they just want to stand there and shout at me...that says a LOT more about their weight than anything...

I've had trainers that would put me on a treadmill and just stand there holding their clipboard and waiting till I was done...and I've had trainers that work on the treadmill beside me while I work....

which one is better, all issues such as obesity aside?

the one that gets in and does it, of course.

Secondly, can the obese trainer still run circles around you? or can they not?

if they can, then they will still have something to offer you....improvement to get to their physical capabilities.

L
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    If I knew someone that used that trainer and had good results, then yes I would hire them, obese or not. My husband has his personal trainer certification -- he's never worked in a gym he just trains me. He's overweight, but he really knows what he's doing when it comes to weight training. He's won trophies for best lifter in powerlifting meets, plus he's a physical therapist assistant so he understands muscles and how to train without injuring yourself. He just also happens to have a sweet tooth which is why he's carrying around some extra pounds. It doesn't affect his ability to be a good trainer.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know many an old school bodybuilder and don't get me started on the strongmen who are technically obese. However, they know their stuff.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Yes. For entertainment purposes.

LOL!
  • spoonful
    spoonful Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sure I would. It depends on how good a trainer he is and what his references are like. No matter how lean or good-looking I get from this little trip, I will never get into the judging a person based on his or her size.

As a matter of fact, my doctor is obese. He's a great doctor. I still believe him when he tells me I have to lose 25 pounds.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As a matter of fact, my doctor is obese. He's a great doctor. I still believe him when he tells me I have to lose 25 pounds.

Ever ask him if he wants to start a diet/exercise program with you? :)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    no.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Nope, you have to walk the walk. I am not singling anyone out! I would not hire an armless surgeon or a blind eye doctor either.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    i want to say yes because i dont want to be superficial, but i am going to say no because i am motivated by appearances. sad, i know, but im honest at least!
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    for my dog maybe
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    For Cooking? Definitely. Shows they like good food!
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    I think it depends. I attended a aerobics class with a obese teacher teaching it and thought this will be an easy class for she surely could not push too hard. Well lets say 15 minutes in, I was sitting on my step while she continued to class for a whole hour. So I think sometimes we shouldn't judge? With that being said, I have seen many weight loss commercial from the local area and at the end they have the whole staff gathered together and ONLY one of them "appear" in shape. So would I seek weight loss advice from this agency? Probably not. I guess I believe the merchandise you are "pushing" shouldn't you be an example?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely, providing they knew there stuff. Maybe they have a thyroid condition or they could be going through a bad time in their life. :wink:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Just something to ponder: Is there any reason someone who had been lean all their life would be any better at helping someone to lose weight than someone who had been overweight all their life?
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes I would. Their own abilities are no indication of their own knowledge. Some of the best coaches in sports weren't the best athletes. It's more about what they know and what they can get out of me.

This^^
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. I want to be more open minded and say yes, but personally I need a trainer who practices what they preach and who has a body that shows they've worked for it so I can see I'll be moving in the same direction.
  • vbcoach25
    vbcoach25 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This thread and some of the replies made me think about other professions. Would you object to an unhealthy nurse, doctor, or surgeon working with you? What about one with unhealthy habits such as smoking? What about a mechanic that drives a beater car that doesn't appear to be in good shape or run well, would you let him/her work on your car?

I would have to agree with those who stated it is the other person's knowledge, successes, and in the case of a trainer the ability to motivate that would help me to choose and continue a relationship with a specific trainer or any professional for that matter. Sometimes individuals in the service fields are more concerned with helping others than helping themselves. I know this has been a challenge for myself over the years as my weight has fluctuated in various stages of my own life.

Very interesting discussion. Thanks!