Women dating younger men

Options

Replies

• rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    There are younger men that I find attractive and would be interested in but I am afraid of grossing them out.

What if they laugh at the cougar? I don't want to be considered a creepy old woman.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Why not? When I was dating I never wanted to go out with younger guys, but I was in my early-mid 20's then and I had little kids so I wanted someone more mature. But now if I were single I would go out with a wider range of people.
  • Merithyn
    Merithyn Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'd date one for the ego boost, but seriously, how much would you really have in common with someone who was born when you were in high school?

A lot, actually. My husband is ten years younger than me, and the best decision I made was to disregard that age difference and just go for it. He's what keeps me sane in a very insane world.

Love isn't about a number anymore than it's about a skin tone. It's about finding someone you connect with, enjoy spending time with, and are deeply attracted to inside and out. If you find someone who does that for you, why would you shut it out simply because he's a few years younger than you? I say grab it with both hands and enjoy the ride!
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    My partner is 2 years younger, I think it's kinda cute?
    He's also very mature for his age too.
    Don't see a prob with it, to some extent.
  • heagler870
    heagler870 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Personally I am the believer that age is just a number. I think it all depends on how much you have in common, how well you communicate and the maturity level of each individual. I used to "date" this guy that was 36 and since then I find myself only attracted to older men. I found myself in much better conversation with him than guys my own age. And actually we had a lot in common despite the age difference. I hear that guys tend to mature a lot slower than women. Not sure if that's true but I like older guys because I am usually able to carry on a better conversation with them. I really think it just depends on how much you have in common and communication. Everyone is different and know what they like. If all you're worried about is what people will think for liking someone older or younger than you, who cares what they think?? Just so long as what you're doing makes you happy and doesn't compromise someone's well being.
  • manderann
    manderann Posts: 189
    Options
    I personally have not ever been attracted to anyone younger than me, but it's not to say I couldn't. I usually go for older guys because I have more in common with them, and they are in similar life situations. I'm 24, and as of late, all of the guys I've had any interest in have been in their 30s. Anyone older than 34 is closer to my dad's age than to mine, and that's just weird... so I guess I have a narrow window haha. :wink:

I don't put much stock in age, really. It's just a number. It doesn't matter how many times you've gone around the sun, but rather what you've gotten out of the trip. If you have a connection with someone, you should go with it.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    My husband is 9 years younger than me.

We've been together for 16 years now.....we have a great relationship. My husband is a procrastinator (big time) so I often joke and say that the only reason why we are not closer to the same age is because he procrastinated before coming to Earth lol :-)

That aside...I don't think age should be much of an issue when two ADULTS (yes, some people are not really adults at 19, 20, etc) love each other. For my hubby and I, we were meant to be together (time has proven that) so if I had let his age be an issue, I would have missed out on a beautiful, wonderful relationship that will probably last me for the rest of my life.

PS....I use the username MtnKat because my adult children teased me about being a cougar once I turned 40 (the "official" cougar age). I live in WV, so MtnKat kind of became a thing :-)

Good luck to you!
  • kickboxgurl
    Options
    This applies to men and women: I think that when the age discrepancy is large, like 10-20 years there is a good chance it is not going to be an equal, partnerlike relationship. One of the couple is in power and the other (the younger) is there to please the older person. Often the older person has more money and success (and intelligence IME) and really isn't looking for someone to share their life with so much as someone to be their companion and amuse them. The younger person usually knows the deal and is "taken care of" (depending on the wealth of the older person, sometimes this doesn't happen financially) by the older person.

I just can't see it as being equal, but all parties know what they want and apparently have it, so who cares?

I disagree... this is not always the case. There may be stereotypical cases but everyone and every relationship is not the same. I am 11 years older than my boyfriend. I have 3 children I take care of me and them and he takes care of himself. Sometimes he helps me take care of them when my deadbeat ex skips a CS payment . We have plenty in common to answer all the other posts about that. What we have in common is common interests and common backgrounds and experiences. Our common ground is deeper than who Mr.Hooper on Sesame Street was or what happened to Nancy Kerrigan. His dad abandoned him when he was an infant mine walked out on me at 9 months. Both our dads took cash pay outs to sign over their rights. We both had abusive stepfathers and mothers who took their side. He is mature and well read and well rounded so we enjoy the same books and music and other activities. And yeah hes 19 so the sex is amazing (tmi sorry) but its not why we're together. We are both wounded people who understand each other. I think you shouldn't worry about the rest of it and should just be with someone who makes you happy...
  • beastlikeMC
    Options
    My oldest brother was married to a woman 7 years older than him. They divorced and he is now marrying a woman a couple years older than him. My younger brother is now married to a woman 6 years older than him. It seems to be working for them.

I'm also interested in a guy younger than me (11 years) but honestly it freaks me out. And I thought he was older than what is actually is so when I found out his real age I almost had a heart attack...ya know because I'm so old, lol. What I worry about most are things like having kids and settling down. Will he want those kinds of things now or want to wait? Plus at his age he'd have to think about having my kids around all the time. Not that I'd ask him on a first date (talk about creepy, lol) but they're issues I'd have to face so it makes me wonder if I should even take him up on his offer. Of course now that he knows just how old I am it might not even be an issue anymore :laugh:

PS all my friends say as long as he's legal go for it. And honestly he's a lot better than the last few guys I've gone out with!
  • devonette
    devonette Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I married a man 11 years younger than me -- he was 24 and I was 35 when we married, and here we are, 21 years later, still very happily married with two teenage sons.

With that said, I'm cautious about saying "go for it" just because you find you are attracted to the guy who is 16 years younger than you. It almost sounds like you are saying "well, if my ex can do it, I can do it, too". If it's an attraction on a mental level, and you've got common interests then it could be worth pursuing. If it's strictly an attraction on a physical level, then I'd say leave it alone, back away. There are so many generational/emotional maturity issues to deal with in that 16 year age gap. Remember, with a 16 year age difference you are dealing with the age gap between a mother and child in some cases, and you may find yourself treating him as a child, you are wiser and know better. Of course, if it's all physical and not a lasting relationship you are after, then it doesn't really matter.

When I first met my husband, there is no way I would have ever considered dating him. He was so young and immature (22) and still in college with the "all fun and games" mentality, and I was so old ( 33) and had already been out in the working world for 15 years and was used to supporting myself and being responsible. But we were part of a mutual group of sci-fi friends and became friends with each other first, got to know and like each other as people without the whole dating/attraction thing getting in the way. A year later when we realized there was more to our relationship and started dating, we felt like we really were the same age, but of course,knowing the real age difference made it feel strange, not just to me (he had no problem with it, I thought even a 3 year age difference was huge, so 11 years was humongous) but also strange to our friends and family. When we finally did marry, there were definitely age based/maturity/responsibility issues that had to be worked on and compromises made. He felt like I treated him like a child, I felt he didn't make responsible decisions when it came to money, and so on. But we got that stuff ironed out early on, and since then it's been smooth sailing! I'm fortunate right now that I look younger than my age and hope it stays that way, but sometimes do get concerned, knowing the age gap will seem greater at the decade birthdays -- when I turn 60 he'll still be in his 40's. At this point I think we'll do just fine.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Regarding MILF and Cougar - those are positive terms. I don't know what makes you say they are negative.

Really? I've never considered 'Cougar' a positive term. I think generally men see it as positive, women don't.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have almost always been attracted to older men. Not a father complex...I just prefer maturity. Oddly enough, my ex was 3 years younger than me....which means I have to wait till I am 68 to get the retirement. So think about that, ladies...bwhahahahaha!!!!
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • A_TASTE4VANILLA
    A_TASTE4VANILLA Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    IT DEPENDS ON THE 2 PEOPLE INVOLVED AND WHAT YOU BOTH WANT.
    IVE DATED 15 OLDER AND 15 YOUNGER
    I WOULD PREFER SOMEONE CLOSE TO MY AGE BUT.......
    SOMETIMES THAT PERSON YOU RE ATTRACTED TO MAY NOT BE
    IF YOUR SECURE ENOUGH
    MATURE ENOUGH
    AND YOURE BOTH GOING IN THE SAME DIRECTION
    THEN.....................WINK
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My oldest brother was married to a woman 7 years older than him. They divorced and he is now marrying a woman a couple years older than him. My younger brother is now married to a woman 6 years older than him. It seems to be working for them.

I'm also interested in a guy younger than me (11 years) but honestly it freaks me out. And I thought he was older than what is actually is so when I found out his real age I almost had a heart attack...ya know because I'm so old, lol. What I worry about most are things like having kids and settling down. Will he want those kinds of things now or want to wait? Plus at his age he'd have to think about having my kids around all the time. Not that I'd ask him on a first date (talk about creepy, lol) but they're issues I'd have to face so it makes me wonder if I should even take him up on his offer. Of course now that he knows just how old I am it might not even be an issue anymore :laugh:

PS all my friends say as long as he's legal go for it. And honestly he's a lot better than the last few guys I've gone out with!

I'm such a dork! I didn't realize I was logged in on my son's account! :laugh: :blushing:
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options

I'm such a dork! I didn't realize I was logged in on my son's account! :laugh: :blushing:

My sister would refer to that as a senior moment! :laugh:
  • kappyblu
    Options
    IT DEPENDS ON THE 2 PEOPLE INVOLVED AND WHAT YOU BOTH WANT.
    IVE DATED 15 OLDER AND 15 YOUNGER
    I WOULD PREFER SOMEONE CLOSE TO MY AGE BUT.......
    SOMETIMES THAT PERSON YOU RE ATTRACTED TO MAY NOT BE
    IF YOUR SECURE ENOUGH
    MATURE ENOUGH
    AND YOURE BOTH GOING IN THE SAME DIRECTION
    THEN.....................WINK

Thanks for the feedback. He definitely seems much older than he is. I think that's a good sign. Hopefully we will both have the same direction in mind! :wink:
  • kappyblu
    Options
    bumping so maybe a new group of folks will offer their opinions as well....:flowerforyou:
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    OP..

you have to get men early.. i have been told they are easier to train younger.. and they are at their sexual peak at like 18.. women's peak is like 40.. so when men get to 40.. wed rather sleep and dream about it.. then actually do it..

oh the joys of getting older for men..

This all depends on the man, my hubby is 52 and I am 44. He hasn't slowed down in the very least!! I am a lucky woman. :) (Not our first marriages)
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I am 55, my husband is 45. Age is just a number. Most people think he is much older than I am. Not sure if I just look younger or he looks older! lol

Edit - Typo