I hate to sound mean but......

Options

Replies

• tyoung8
    tyoung8 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Why would you post something about your overweight coworker when you are overweight yourself? Concentrate on your own weight. You don't have a clue if she has medical problems, nor have you walked a day in her shoes. Your post comes off as very mean spirited.

Yes I do know that she has medical issues because she has said something to me about it before. And Im not trying to be mean at all!!!

I guess If I ever see her ready to jump of a bridge I should just mind my business then too.

Maybe Ill send some flowers to the funeral and let the family know I let it happen.

You people wouldbe surprised on what the smallest amount of impact can make on a person!

Good Day People!

You should march right up to her, grab whatever she's eating out of her hand, toss it in the trash and say, "Time to get a grip, fatty. I'm putting you on a diet to save your life! Your eating habits make me want to vomit."

Let us know how that goes.

Lmao! This is hilarious!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would say do nothing. People are going to do what they want to do. If someone suggested to me to change my eating habits before I was ready to, I would not have listened and I would have been very pissed off. It is up to her to change, not up to you to change her. At one point, people would have looked at my food choices and been repulsed as well. Thankfully no one said anything. People have to want to change.

^this. maybe having a job is very important for her/her family, so she might not decide to change her eating habits until she's less stressed. For a lot of people, junk food is a vice. Either way it's unhealthy, but either way most people have unhealthy emotional or tangible vices that are unhealthy to cope with their responsibilities and stresses.
  • tyoung8
    Options
    Also,

I simply asked what you guys would do. And guess what you all did STARTED JUDGING ME!!! hahahahahaha. Im sure you all know what that makes you all!
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Can't help them that don't want to help themselves
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I hate to sound mean but.....This may sound mean but

Now I would never say mean things about people that are over weight but

Now. I’m am not a clean eater at all and I am not judging by her eating habits but

I almost find it repulsive to see someone so over weight eating

I know its not my place to say anything however

What would you do?

This is what your post said to many of us. Once a qualifier is used...... it doesn't excuse the words/thoughts after.

You came on the boards hoping we'd all agree and it didn't turn out that way. I think you know in your heart thinking this is one thing, thinking and speaking it out loud for opinions and degrading her and others like her is another.

What would I do? I would have considered the site I was posting this on. I'd also would hope no one judged me so harshly when I was at my heaviest or I likely wouldn't have made it to MFP. :brokenheart:
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I personally would bring an extra snack or something and offer it to her. and do that once every so often maybe she find something through you that she ends up liking.
  • missymuffet459
    Options
    There is really not much you can say or do. She has to WANT to change for HERSELF. I think it is very sad actually. I can't say that I have ever weighed that much but I can say that I am totally guilty of going a long period of time without drinking any water, eating out every meal, no fruits/veggies, etc. That is why I am here today.

Maybe the best thing you can do is to lead by example. She may take notice to any positive changes you have made and be inspired and motivated to make the necessary changes.

Edited to add: Maybe you can ask her to go on short walks with you on your breaks.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Is there no way to put it a polite way? Hmmmm... it's a thinker.

At the same time, what would be the difference of someone eating at a very unhealthy rate, and who is at an unhealthy weight range, and then someone standing on the side of a building ready to jump?

Would all those people who said "leave them be it's their problem, etc".. say the same thing to the possible jumper on the side of the building?

I think if there were a jumper on the side of my building I would pray that there was a "professional" on the scene to talk to them, as saying the wrong thing can have the opposite effect as what you are hoping for. Which is the same for what the co-worker is talking about. Her words could have the opposite impact of what she's hoping for. That's how the situations are the same. How they are different is the jumper scenario has an immediate risk of fatality - so if I were the only option (and I would hope I wasn't), I would do my best to keep the person on that ledge for as long as was necessary to get them off that ledge in the right way. But at no point would I find the jumper's behavior "repulsive" or some other judgemental term while claiming to "only want to help them".
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Also,

I simply asked what you guys would do. And guess what you all did STARTED JUDGING ME!!! hahahahahaha. Im sure you all know what that makes you all!

Nice defense mechanism :flowerforyou:
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    To the OP.. there are a lot of sheeple in the world.. it is expected to get responses such as some of the ones you have received. I have no doubt you'd like to help your coworker, I would want to do the same. It's just the question is, how to put it across.. like my prior post on here, would you let someone on the edge of a building jump? No.. so why is this any different?
  • kristybenner
    kristybenner Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There's nothing worse than someone on a mission.

Just leave it. It's none of your business. Lead by example. Keep it simple.

^^ Agreed.

exactly- it is NONE of your business how other people live.
  • sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I would deck you just to give an idea of what she might do. I wouldn't just be humiliated that your watching me like that but then you put me on the spot. She will have her breaking point one day and she will lose it and if she doesn't want to it's not up to you to tell her to.
  • tyoung8
    Options
    I don't think some of the people are being fair on the OP - she may genuinely want to help her.

I wonder if it would be different if she was taking drugs are was drinking too much. I'd want to help

I'd be inclined to say something lighthearted and empathetic like "Oh McDonalds are so hard to resist aren't they - the only way I could stop was to cut them out completely" and see what she says. If she says "Yeah Ive been meaning to cut down" you have an opening

If she says "I dont want to stop as I love 'em so much" then never bring it up again

I do!!! I didnt even mention the every hour cigarette breaks she takes and the five minutes it takes her to get to the elevator! I honestly feel bad and I would want someone to help motivate and support me.
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    WOW op's getting a hard time here when all she wants to do is help a co-worker. Normally i have all the tact and diplomacy of a sledge hammer so i can empathise with your situation. If you really want to say something why not tell her about your own 8lb loss and how it was so easy to do using MFP. If she decides to look at the site then she may change, if she doesn't then at least you can say you tried. Just make sure you are telling her about your achievement and not telling her to change.
  • shanchamber
    Options
    Also,

Your co-worker is just sitting there trying to eat her lunch and do her work. You're popping up on an Internet messageboard and asking for advice. And it seems like you can barely put a sentence together without multiple grammatical and spelling errors, so there's that, too. I wonder if your co-worker is sitting in the cubicle next to you, posting something on another board, "I don't want to be mean, but this girl who works next to me can't construct a sentence to save her life. Didn't she complete high school?" How would that make you feel, I wonder?
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    What bothers you exactly? Watching her behavior? Hearing her eat? Smelling the food? Knowing she's eating what you want to eat?

I think figuring out precisely what bothers you would be a good start. You are the one being bothered, apparently not her.

For me, I think hearing package rattling and the smell would get to me. I'm guessing it is typical in your office to eat at your desk, so I don't think it's realistic to ask her to stop eating at her desk. But if it is, then ask HR to help out. You don't need to enforce the office rules.

Depending on the work relationship, and understanding what exactly bugs you, you could talk to her about your own weight loss and struggles to keep your goals. Ask nicely if she would please help you out by putting her food in a bowl so you don't hear the package noise or not throw food garbage in the cubical trash so you don't smell it, or whatever. I believe a friendly approach gets better results, and she might be more supportive of helping you out than you think.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    To the OP.. there are a lot of sheeple in the world.. it is expected to get responses such as some of the ones you have received. I have no doubt you'd like to help your coworker, I would want to do the same. It's just the question is, how to put it across.. like my prior post on here, would you let someone on the edge of a building jump? No.. so why is this any different?

BAN FAST FOOD!!!!!

And bridges....

And tall buildings....

MORE LEGISLATURE IS THE ANSWER :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why would you post something about your overweight coworker when you are overweight yourself? Concentrate on your own weight. You don't have a clue if she has medical problems, nor have you walked a day in her shoes. Your post comes off as very mean spirited.

Yes I do know that she has medical issues because she has said something to me about it before. And Im not trying to be mean at all!!!

I guess If I ever see her ready to jump of a bridge I should just mind my business then too.

Maybe Ill send some flowers to the funeral and let the family know I let it happen.

You people wouldbe surprised on what the smallest amount of impact can make on a person!

Good Day People!

Ask yourself: "if my coworker saw my original post in this thread, would her feelings be hurt?" I'd be willing to bet it's a resounding YES!!!! That does make it kind of mean...

I disagree. Asking a internet fitness community what they would do when faced with a situation of a co-worker literally eating themselves into sickness doesn't seem mean to me. Though many of the replies have certainly been mean.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Just a Story: When I was in College, this one woman used to come to class and now and then she had a "tinge" of urine smell on her. Well, this one group of Students would get together and talk about her like a DOGGGG...OHH did I mention that the woman had just had a Baby and was a Paraplegic in a wheel chair. POINT: It is AMAZING what/who SELF-RIGHTEOUS, ARROGANT KNUCKLE-HEADS will PUT DOWN...Some People JUST CAN NOT Empathize (Usually LOW EQ (Emotional Quotion.)

I NEVER got over that, and I remember the woman's name to this day, and the type of person she is...Very Strong and Courageous and Kind!
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Also,

You really learned nothing from the responses you got didn't you? Other than that you should close your food diary lest someone see what a hypocrite you are?

If you honestly can't see the irony in saying you're not judgmental and then immediately calling someone "repulsive", then I don't think anyone is going to be able to explain it to you.
This discussion has been closed.