An important announcement from the White House soon?

Options

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    In response to OP - I believe this is the news she was referring to:

Last edited Fri Jun 15, 2012, 09:50 AM USA/ET - Edit history (2)
    from ThinkProgress: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/15/500227/obama-to-protect-undocumented-students/

Jun 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

President Obama will announce a new immigration policy this morning that will allow some undocumented students to avoid deportation and receive work authorization.

Under the president’s “deferred action” executive order, students in the U.S. who are already in deportation proceedings or those who qualify for the DREAM Act and have yet to come forward to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials, will not be deported and will be allowed to work in the United States.

An estimated 1 million young people could benefit from the deferral. To be eligible, applicants have to be between 15 and 30 years old, live in the U.S. for five years, and maintain continuous U.S. residency. People who have one felony, one serious misdemeanor, or three minor misdemeanors will be ineligible to apply. “Deferred action” will last for two years and can be renewed.

Obama is expected to speak about this new policy later today.

Obama’s announcement will create a smart policy to help protect young adults at risk of deportation who have spent years establishing their homes in the United States while boosting the U.S. economy.

read: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/15/500227/obama-to-protect-undocumented-students/
    It's awesome. Allow illegals to work and go to school when AMERICAN CITIZENS struggle to achieve these things! :noway:

It's not like illegal immigrants have some special advantage American citizens don't. These people work their *kitten* off to get what they have and appreciate every opportunity they're given. They take jobs American's turn their noses up at. Getting an education is a privilege, and they work hard for it. They don't take things for granted like we do.

One of my good friends moved to the states from Mexico when she was 14. She went to high school here, worked her butt off, got into college here, got a job, paid taxes, etc. It took her 15 years to finally become a US citizen. She didn't get any special advantage over anybody else---she put in the hard work. Something more US citizens should do.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    Well, this will likely get ugly....excuse me while I go pop some popcorn....

^^This!!^^^

Politics on a discussion board = recipe for anger, malice, and rudeness. Sadly, we are now such a divided people that we can't speak of such things in a public forum. It's a sad commentary on our nation that we can no longer disagree about political issues in respectful and open-minded ways. *sigh*
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

from ThinkProgress: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/15/500227/obama-to-protect-undocumented-students/

President Obama will announce a new immigration policy this morning that will allow some undocumented students to avoid deportation and receive work authorization.

Under the president’s “deferred action” executive order, students in the U.S. who are already in deportation proceedings or those who qualify for the DREAM Act and have yet to come forward to Department of Homeland Security (DHS) officials, will not be deported and will be allowed to work in the United States.

An estimated 1 million young people could benefit from the deferral. To be eligible, applicants have to be between 15 and 30 years old, live in the U.S. for five years, and maintain continuous U.S. residency. People who have one felony, one serious misdemeanor, or three minor misdemeanors will be ineligible to apply. “Deferred action” will last for two years and can be renewed.

Obama’s announcement will create a smart policy to help protect young adults at risk of deportation who have spent years establishing their homes in the United States while boosting the U.S. economy.

read: http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/15/500227/obama-to-protect-undocumented-students/
    It's awesome. Allow illegals to work and go to school when AMERICAN CITIZENS struggle to achieve these things! :noway:
    If you are not native American then you too have relatives who were "illegals". These are bright young people why wouldn't we want to make it easier for them to stay and possibly get citizenship? Or was that only good for your relatives...

I know my ancestry very well. I have one ancestor who was a Native person. The rest of mine were not illegal immigrants and came to the country legally and obtained citizenship.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    If you are not native American then you too have relatives who were "illegals". These are bright young people why wouldn't we want to make it easier for them to stay and possibly get citizenship? Or was that only good for your relatives...

WRONG!!! The Indians never set up a federal government and esstablished immigration laws. Therefore, it was not "illegal" to come here. Thanks for playing.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is to announce that the Obama's will be taking another high-priced vacation at the tax payer's expense.

No, wait, this might be the rudest thing I've read all week.

Amazing how when we had white presidents no one said such grossly disrespectful things regarding the highest seat in our country.

Seriously? Did you never read/watch anything about all of our prior presidents? Regardless of who was president, someone has always said things about them. You're the one who pulled the race card.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Seems like a lot of them have worked harder to be Americans than a lot of the people I see every day.

Hopefully by "worked harder" you mean "pay income tax" or "medical bills" or "doesn't take government assistance."
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    lol that this person asked a simple question about what the announcement is going to be and the first comment is someone slinging s*** at Obama.

monkey.jpg
    charwelton668-Copy.jpg
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

Seems like a lot of them have worked harder to be Americans than a lot of the people I see every day.

If I worked hard being a drug dealer should I be exempt from breaking the law?

That doesn't even make sense. Children of illegal immigrants did nothing wrong. And they are working toward a better future for themselves and their families, aka "The American Dream." But I guess living the American Dream was only okay for our ancestors, not these people. Also, do you have ANY idea how hard it is to gain citizenship? How long it takes?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

It's not like illegal immigrants have some special advantage American citizens don't. These people work their *kitten* off to get what they have and appreciate every opportunity they're given. They take jobs American's turn their noses up at. Getting an education is a privilege, and they work hard for it. They don't take things for granted like we do.

One of my good friends moved to the states from Mexico when she was 14. She went to high school here, worked her butt off, got into college here, got a job, paid taxes, etc. It took her 15 years to finally become a US citizen. She didn't get any special advantage over anybody else---she put in the hard work. Something more US citizens should do.

Then she is a legal Citizen and this doesn't effect her! The Dream act would allow ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS who are in the deportation process to stay. I don't care what kind of person they are. Come here legally and be what you want or get deported. It's the law.
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    8:30AM and 9AM EST

Is this regarding the DREAM Act? I know an undocumented family that's struggling a lot right now. If it is, that's great news! If not, then what do you think the announcement is about?

Of course people had to say some rude and unrelated comment that obviously won't be the real announcement.

I hope it's about the DREAM act because that's something I was hoping would be passed. I hope it's some good news!
  • tweetybaby69
    tweetybaby69 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    This is to announce that the Obama's will be taking another high-priced vacation at the tax payer's expense.

Amazing how when we had white presidents no one said such grossly disrespectful things regarding the highest seat in our country.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Bwahahaha...ok I'm sorry but were you asleep the last few decades? Good lord. *rolls eyes*

There has always been mudslinging at Presidents. I don't care if Obama is purple, red, or macaroni and cheese orange...he is no better than any of the rest.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They are announcing that Canada bought America and you are all now under British rule too. Welcome! WE have bacon... and maple syrup.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    They are announcing that Canada bought America and you are all now under British rule too. Welcome! WE have bacon... and maple syrup.

You mean ham?
  • c688132
    c688132 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    How about we keep this about fitness and weight loss and keep our political opinions to ourselves??? Luckily there are morbidly obese Dems and Repubs that need this site's help.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

Then she is a legal Citizen and this doesn't effect her! The Dream act would allow ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS who are in the deportation process to stay. I don't care what kind of person they are. Come here legally and be what you want or get deported. It's the law.

She was an illegal immigrant when she came to this country.
  • Sindari
    Sindari Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I think you've forgotten everyone making fun of how W fell over words. Amazing how Barry supporters forget that when THEIR mascot is under fire.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    oh politics. where everyone is right and they think the other side is actively trying to destroy the country.

if people would just realize we are all on the same side, and no one has all the right answers - maybe....just maybe.... a "discussion" would break out, instead of arguments.

that's it. that's my politics post for the year.
  • Mrsfullwood
    Mrsfullwood Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Obama will finally announce he is way in over his head and resign. :bigsmile:

One can pray, hope, wish, will it to be true.. right..

Oh wait, if that were the case.. we wouldn't be in this terrible situation.

No offense, but that ^^^^ is such bull. We were in this mess WELL before Obama took office. You can't expect 8 years of idiocity to be FIXED in 4 years...

I second that...actually some people thought they were going to see a change within the first year. *shrugs*
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Obama will finally announce he is way in over his head and resign. :bigsmile:

I suppose you have a better plan?

Yes, quit trying to put the blame on everyone else and man up! Of course, Barry won't do that.

Ummm really?
This discussion has been closed.