Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Margarita (around 500 calories)

My homemade green smoothies can top 500 and there's no added sugar. Banana, berries, spinach, soy milk, protein powder, omega 3 supplement, sometimes oats. I have to split them in two or pare way back on ingredients.

I lost 50 lbs. on a WW plan once that was unlimited produce. I'd often eat an avocado a day for weeks and still lose a bunch.
  • linhmaimac
    linhmaimac Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake...yes, i knew it was high in cals but not THAT high. You could just lick it and be over in calorie for tne day. LoL

Fraps from Starbux. I used to order ventis with extra whip. Eek! Now I rarely everrr order talls.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    carbs - pasta, bread (esp. bagels) etc
    and pizza! the pizzas we get are usually 250 - 300 for one quarter and I used to have a whole pizza for dinner at least once a week... crazy when you think about how many calories you used to have without thinking about it

Papa Murphy's makes wonderful DeLite pizzas. I can usually eat two slices for dinner and stay well within my calorie allotment.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Tortillas. Damn things are like 200 calories each! Now I use an 80 calorie whole grain version, but STILL! 80 calories!

!!!!!!
  • packergirl2007
    Options
    Flan - 1 Slice has 620 calories! OMG! I love flan and this co-worker would make it for me so I would eat the whole thing which equaled about 2500 calories.

Well. I didn't do that. FUDGE. I LOVE FLAN. Not anymore thou, 620 is NOT worth it.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    It I'm not really sure about how many calories are in something, or fat, etc I check it on MFP before eating (if eating out, no label to read). I've never really been that suprised about calories or fat. I think most things are pretty obvious how bad they are for us, we just choose to ignore it. I've been more surprised about the amount of sodium in some foods, so tend to try and limit my intake of those items.
  • katejkelley
    Options
    MIcrowave popcorn.

It doesn't help that the nutrition label includes 'unpopped' and 'popped' nutrition info. Who the hell is going to eat that stuff unpopped??

I imagine you eat a hell of a lot less if it's unpopped - maybe that's the low-cal version. :wink:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I love those Papa Murphy's De-Lite pizzas. It's not a ton of food volume in 2 slices but they taste great and silence my pizza monster for a lot less calories.
  • RobinStarr_RN
    RobinStarr_RN Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Italian meatballs 6 for 270 cals but 13 g of fat ugh
  • Fairdragonrose
    Fairdragonrose Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hear you on the avocado. They are really good for you though, nutrition wise, so I make them a treat once a week or once every two weeks.
  • bethmillerwilson
    bethmillerwilson Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Mine was restaurant salads! Seriously I used to love the Quesadilla Explosion Salad from Chilis! I always figured before I started logging that it was pretty healthy with all the veggies.... not at 1300 calories!

This ^ I nearly fell off my chair and I had only eaten half of it, but would not be able to eat for the rest of the day!
  • katejkelley
    Options
    avocado,,,,,god,,i almost fell off my chair,,haha loggon like a coffee, a bagel and an avocado,,well,,, that shocked me big time,,lol

Avacados are "good" fats though... definitely a keeper in my diet

Me, too. I cut them up - put some on salads, some with eggs. I don't just eat the whole thing at once.
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    SUBWAY! Not super horrible on calories, but the sodium content is outrageous!

AND some boneless/skinless chicken breast is also CRAZY for sodium....I'm talking about what you can buy at the grocery store! Not to mention any kind of grilled chicken from a ff place....LOADED with sodium! :noway:

Yea the Subway thing really gets me... Sure you can get it healthier, no sauce, no cheese, loads of veggies..... I get that, but like you said, the Sodium is through the roof,.... As a matter of fact, everything at a fast food joint is bad for you in general, i do not care if it is *Healthy* or not. This is the problem with our society today... I love free choice, I mean i fought for freedom, but these places should not be able to market this stuff as healthy when it really inst. You might get in under 500-600 calories, but look at the rest of the numbers.... Jeez.
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    Ribs!! how can something with so little meat have so many dang calories?
    Does not matter.....BBQ Ribs are sacred. Any calories from ribs I HAPPILY run off :)

I'll second that! :happy:
  • PShep17
    PShep17 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Milk :( Always told milk's good for you! I love the stuff, used to drink close to 4 pints some days. Not any more :(
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Italian-meat sandwiches (pepperoni, salami)...I had no idea how high the fat content would be!!
  • packergirl2007
    Options
    Red Lobster...

The biscuts - 150 each ( Popeyes is 220!!)
    The soup - 220
    The salad - 270

Main dishes are well over 1000

and their desserts, PFT!

I was SHOCKED that I coud easily consume over 1000 calories in one sitting eating only 1/2 of each meal.
  • thejulesmarie
    thejulesmarie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My favorite soups! So disappointing :(

I started pre-logging just to make sure that what I want to eat was within my range. Calorieking.com has been extremely eye opening in seeing just how bad some of my favorite menu items are from various restaurants and fast food places.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    ALL Restaurant Salads - OMG!!!!

Ditto...makes me sad...that and margaritas...: (
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Granola