Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• KingofdaBean
    KingofdaBean Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Had no idea how bad Movie popcorn was for you!!! WOWZERS
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    peas had a lot more cals than i was expecting.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options
    Gordon Biersch Tapas! I thought I was getting a great deal... Roasted garlic, bruschetta, olive tapenade, and hummus with herb flatbread (I knew the flatbread would be high). I even checked the calories before I ordered-460. Ok, not really bad, I thought, it was my entire meal. What I failed to take note of is that the whole appetizer was THREE servings!

Add a couple of Hefeweizen beers...well, I hit my calorie limit for 2 days! :drinker:
  • Windy32
    Windy32 Posts: 54
    Options
    Starbucks nofat white mocha with whip 330 and reduced fat cinnamon swirl coffie cake 340
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    35 per slice?! Mind telling me what kind of bread that is?

Healthy Life and Heiners 35 each are 35 calories per slice. Healthy Life appears to be less dry (at least to me) but both are good.
  • eudemonia
    eudemonia Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    the amount of calories in one cup of rice blew my world. but i love my rice... on average i eat like 5 cups a day and i can't bring myself to stop.
  • zorylopez
    zorylopez Posts: 23
    Options
    Mine biggest surprise were Buffalo Wings. I mean I knew they weren't healthy but had no idea how high calorie they are esp. when you add the blue cheese dressing. What foods surprised you?

Buffalo Wings also. And chicken nuggets.
  • HeatherLeahxx
    HeatherLeahxx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    irish soda bread
  • breakingthecyclept2
    Options
    Ribs!! how can something with so little meat have so many dang calories?
    Does not matter.....BBQ Ribs are sacred. Any calories from ribs I HAPPILY run off :)

Ditto, gotta have my ribs! :heart:
  • abbybean11
    abbybean11 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    chips - i mean i know that chips aren't healthy, but even the healthier kind are like 140 calories for just 7 chips. AND I CAN NEVER EAT JUST 7 CHIPS!!! craziness.
  • mevalentina
    mevalentina Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    - Juice in general (so many calories for something we don't even consider 'food').
    - Rice
    - Pasta (I knew it was not a 'light' food, but it's quite a lot more heavy than I thought)
    - Ground beef

Not that these are bad, just high in calories if you consider the volume..

All of these things I completely stopped eating and drinking them after I realized just how bad they are!.
    Plus any kind of fast food ridiculous!
  • tessa3r
    tessa3r Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So I joined just before Christmas and was making chocolate truffles and other treats to give away as presents. I was using the good Gheridelli chocolate. I saw what the serving size was and the calories, etc. I was floored by how many calories were in a piece when I was done making it. I was expecting 50-75 calories, but I got 90-150 calories!!! And these were smaller than a quarter. Thankfully I didn't do a lot of licking of the bowl or I would have added thousands of calories to my diet over those few days!

My other surprise was straight up sugar. I use to add 2 table spoons of it to my tea, and then found out that those two table spoons was 90 calories and then add 1/2 cup of 2% milk, Yikes!

Now I log before I eat if I'm anywhere but at home. My friends and family think I'm nuts to take out my phone and scan the packages. That way, I can decide what and how much to have.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Tim Horton's Cranberry Blueberry Bran muffin.

Sounds healthy, right? 340 Calories and 13 grams of fat! Ouch! :ohwell:
  • bethmac_va
    bethmac_va Posts: 65
    Options

Sara Lee 45 Calorie Delightful - Low Carb Bread is only 45 cal./slice. I won't make a sandwich with any but that. I also don't put cheese or mayo on it. Jut bread, spicy mustard and meat.

Calories 45 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 9 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 3 g

I eat Nature's Own bread. Love, love! I get either the Whole Wheat (50 calories per slice) or Whole Grain (70 calories per slice). Both have substance (read gluten) and meet whole grains requirements. I won't eat anything else! The hot dog and hamburger rolls are awesome as well! Bread is one of the foods where I will go higher calorie to get a better product.

Anyone who is interested, WalMart carries it.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

Sara Lee 45 Calorie Delightful - Low Carb Bread is only 45 cal./slice. I won't make a sandwich with any but that. I also don't put cheese or mayo on it. Jut bread, spicy mustard and meat.

Calories 45 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 9 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 3 g

I eat Nature's Own bread. Love, love! I get either the Whole Wheat (50 calories per slice) or Whole Grain (70 calories per slice). Both have substance (read gluten) and meet whole grains requirements. I won't eat anything else! The hot dog and hamburger rolls are awesome as well! Bread is one of the foods where I will go higher calorie to get a better product.

Anyone who is interested, WalMart carries it.

I will check out Nature's own. I use the sara lee stuff today but to me it has no real taste but it does hold the sandwich together. I like the orewheat sandwich thins
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    All I can say is, thank god I am a big guy and eat 2300 calories a day. I would have to make some DRASTIC lifestyle changes to hit half that, which is where most of the women on this site are.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Panera, anything from Panera

The sodium is bad at Panera, I'll give you that, but I can get away from there eating under 300 calories if I want to.

A hamburger patty from Costco. One patty is 6 oz...yet the serving size is 3 oz. That was not a fun revelation.

Peanut butter is my other. I am such a sucker for peanut butter. I have had to hide it because if I see it, I will end up scooping it out of the jar with my finger...
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    All fast food.......calories aren't terrible but fat and sodium content are off the charts.

I used to eat the baja salad at Wendy's thinking I was doing good......540 calories, 32 Grams of fat.....15 saturated and 1600 g sodium.....without any dressing. With the dressing I would be over my daily sodium intake with just a salad at lunch.

That is just mind blowing and a perfect example of why we have so many health problems in this country - because they can market this crap as healthy alternatives - what BS

some salads at Applebees are 1100 calories for a salad!!! and that's w/o the dressing!!! I'd almost rather get some pasta
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Panera, anything from Panera

YES! Holy crap!