Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do agree with many of the posts here. I never really understood what a true serving size was. I think my biggest problem is adjusting to that. Crazy when you think "12 Chips per serving" or "1/4 a cup of peanuts" or "1 Cookie in a bag of them". Now that i realize that I'm a lot more contentious of what I'm eating.
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    It happened to me everyday when I started on here....now I check before I eat : )
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    Probably has been said but peanut butter and jelly sandwich. . . 420 calories. . .havent had one since!!
  • Sinisi2012
    Sinisi2012 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Great thread - I had a real eye opener to a lot of things:

- Orange Juice - wow loaded with calories and sugar
    - Cheese - had no idea how many calories were in just one ounce of Cheese
    - Peanut Butter and Nutella - nut based and fairly healthy, but again - I had no idea how many calories were in just one TBSP of these - I used to habitually eat one or two TBSP of these just walking by the kitchen...

Definitely this ^^
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I do now as well. If we decide to go out (either me and the wife or me and the coworkers) i always know what im going to order before we go. Seemed silly at first, but now im glad.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Sandwiches
  • mattemery
    mattemery Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question and thread. I'm not surprised now that I think about it, but definitely noticed how almost every entry in this thread is basically:

1) Wheat/corn based type of bread (white, wheat, crackers, tortillas, pasta, tortilla chips, etc...)
    2) Primarily fat (cheese, peanut butter, avocados, olives, etc....)

And.... so many that are not listed because of calories, but because of salt, and all are pre-packaged, canned type foods (soups, salsa, etc...)
  • sfarrell1359
    sfarrell1359 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    avocado,,,,,god,,i almost fell off my chair,,haha loggon like a coffee, a bagel and an avocado,,well,,, that shocked me big time,,lol

Avocado was mine too. And I was eating it almost everyday.
  • Kellydishmond
    Options
    You should try the Kelloggs pastry crisps they taste just like a pop tart but 100 cal for 2 crisps. YUM.
  • zclark13
    zclark13 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Non-fat Chai latte. I don't get them very often, but I got one and logged and holy cow! Not doing that again!
  • rw734
    rw734 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ground beef! Who knew it was so calorie heavy?? Here I was thinking that a couple taco's weren't THAT bad. Riiight. LOL :)
  • specialkyc
    specialkyc Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Red Lobster...

The biscuts - 150 each ( Popeyes is 220!!)
    The soup - 220
    The salad - 270

Main dishes are well over 1000

and their desserts, PFT!

I was SHOCKED that I coud easily consume over 1000 calories in one sitting eating only 1/2 of each meal.

I suffered through this last weekend. Normally I log BEFORE I eat, but not that day...lesson learned. My daughter and I went to Red Lobster and she had the four course feast, which ended with brownie a la mode. We split it only to later find out that the little brownie and ice cream totalled around 890 calories (445 calories for half)...and that was only dessert.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Mine last night was apricots (dried) - my 7g piece was 18 calories! Eeek!

I appriciate the difference in "too bad" meaning low in calories and "too bad" meaning bad for you. Avocado is high in calories but it's good for you. White pasta is high in calories and not so good for you.

Another thing that surprised me - a baked potato with sour cream, chives, and broccoli from Wendy's is 330 calories - the jr. hamburger with lettuce, tomato, mustard, pickles is 230!

I also agree on the cheese comments - I LOVE cheese, but I find myself eating 4x more than I should in one sitting since it's so good and so high in calories.

One thing I find odd in this thread - why are some parents feeding their children things that they wouldn't eat? Even though some kids need more calories, it's not by 400+ at every meal! If you won't eat it, don't let them eat it!
  • Kimmie_3
    Kimmie_3 Posts: 1
    Options
    this is why i pre-log as much as possible:smile:
  • trout3063
    trout3063 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I haven't reached a point to start studying the "macros" I'm seeing progress in just relying on the calories but I'm thinking "gee" how much better would I be if I actually studied those too! Cause I love me some of the foods you guys are pointing out have a lot of sodium!
  • Teresa3612
    Teresa3612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Instant oatmeal. I was eating two every morning for breakfast thinking that oatmeal is good for me.

Also, peanut butter and nutella.

I don't even eat canned soup anymore. The sodium content is outrageous!
  • meredith1414
    Options
    I was shocked at the calories count in a Costco Chicken salad. 679 calories. I thought it would have less then that.
    But I never use all the dressing. so I know that I'm eating less then that.
    I wish I could find out how many calories are in each component.
    M
    ps..sorry for the choppy post, I just had my wisdom teeth plus one other removed. I"m a bit loopy. And now all I can have for the next couple of days is liquid and then soft foods for 1-2 months so that I don't break my jaw bone.
  • brsarkar
    brsarkar Posts: 1
    Options
    The calories in pho made me sad too. You might try what I do (because it's one of my favorites also!) - I order it without noodles and ask them to put extra veggies in it. If it's a place where they have brown rice I'll get a side of that and add some to the broth. Then it's a relatively low-cal chicken and veggie soup with some rice, but you still get the delicious pho phlavor, and with brown rice some extra fiber. For me this is great because I never loved rice noodles anyway. If the noodles are your favorite part of the dish then this variation will be a poor substitute. Hoisin sauce packs a frightening number of calories, but it's so delicious I have to have it anyway.
  • sundedo
    sundedo Posts: 6
    Options
    35 per slice?! Mind telling me what kind of bread that is?

Sara Lee 45 Calorie Delightful - Low Carb Bread is only 45 cal./slice. I won't make a sandwich with any but that. I also don't put cheese or mayo on it. Jut bread, spicy mustard and meat.

Calories 45 Sodium 120 mg
    Total Fat 1 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 9 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 2 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 1 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 3 g
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sushi.

Not long after I joined MFP, I went to the local Asian buffet with some friends. I thought I was making such good choices, passing up all the fried stuff and eating sushi, edamame and green beans... then I logged it, and discovered my healthy lunch was a healthy THOUSAND CALORIES!

I still eat sushi, but it now falls into the "special treat" category.

^^^^^This. I used to eat sushi all the time. I thought it was healthy as long as you steer clear of the fried stuff or the rolls with cream cheese (yuck!!) or mayonaise-based sauces. But holy cow!! All that rice is just loaded with carbs (duh!--should have known!) I still eat it but I try to order more sashimi. Sashimi is ok, right? crosses fingers :wink: