Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with previous posters and say Mac an Cheese. I couldn't help but stare at the numbers while I scooped my bowl back into the pot. :(
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    this is why i pre-log as much as possible

This...

I nearly ate a brownie at quiznos the other day... till I saw that it was 500 calories!!!
  • corrinnebrown
    corrinnebrown Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Donut holes... I had 2, yes I said 2 and it was 140 calories...for a freaking donut hole
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Salsa! Crazy sodium in just one serving, which is only 2 tablespoons. I can balance 2 tablespoons on one chip!

Yikes, I better check my salsa jar...
  • JenW1973
    JenW1973 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The other day I was making goodie bags for my daughter's birthday party and I had a few leftover tootsie roll pops. I love the cherry ones, so I popped one into my mouth and ate it. I logged it on MFP afterward and was stunned to discover that that little lollipop had 60 calories in it. Now I'll be sure to decide whether it's worth it before I indulge.

Also, just about anything you can order from Friendly's (which my kids LOVE). I don't know what they do to their food...soak it in lard or something, but I was shocked at the amount of calories and fat in their food. I used to order a chicken fajita quesadilla with spanish rice, thinking that was a much better choice than a my previous favorite - a buffalo chicken wrap with waffle fries. It turns out they are both horrible choices. I'd be eating my entire day's worth of calories (and more!) in a single meal. Ick. No wonder that whenever I took my kids there for lunch, I wouldn't really be hungry for dinner. Now I always try to plan ahead before going to a restaurant.
  • mali240
    mali240 Posts: 126
    Options
    chicken dumplings... its a 100+ calories for 3 tiny ones!!.. i used to eat 20 as my meal.. coz i thought it was healthy (it boiling them, as opposed to frying)
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Anything fast food. Especially a grilled chicken sandwich. It really isn't much better than a burger!
  • BigBrewski
    Options
    ALL Restaurant Salads - OMG!!!!

^^^THIS
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I had some high quality deli turkey breast yesterday - calories ok, but I was shocked at the sodium!!!

Prepackage deli meat or from the deli counter? I *hear* that is way higher in sodium when pre-packaged.....
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bailey's Irish Cream
    YUM YUM:tongue:
  • BigBrewski
    Options
    spaghetti

ramen noodles

almonds

peanut butter

booze

*sad*

Ramen noodles suprised me...I mean how can college kids living on Ramen be so thin when they pack so many calories..
  • jl20whyd
    jl20whyd Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was suprised with sushi...not as healthy as I thought it was!
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Anything fast food. Especially a grilled chicken sandwich. It really isn't much better than a burger!

THIS!!!!
    ....and yesterday read an article about fast food kid meals and how horrible the are for kids (even when served with apple slices and low fat milk). bleh.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I submitted a bread machine recipe called "Kate's Honey-Banana Whole Wheat Bread", which has 159 calories per slice and is very good. It doesn't seem to show up in the recipe database, though. Only in my personal recipes, even though I clicked the button to share it. Does anyone know how to get a recipe into the shared database?
  • glowingbride
    Options
    Beer. I mean... I knew it was not healthy but dang... lots of empty calories.

And brown rice. Which IS a keeper in my diet... but really have to measure out portions, for sure.
  • Kopciu
    Kopciu Posts: 3
    Options
    mine was PB & J.. my skipped my dinner better eat something.. mise well have ate dinner!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    This thread is precisely why I support nutrition labeling on EVERYTHING - supermarket foods, take out restaurants, fancy five star restaurants, etc. People know they are eating junk, but I truly believe most people have NO IDEA the reality of a lot of what they eat. They know it's bad, but they grossly underestimate just how bad and that's primarily because companies and restaurants have been allowed to advertise things as healthy that have no real relationship to healthy food, and because portion sizes have continued to creep up to the point that people (and I include myself in all of this) have no concept of what an actual portion size is. When a donut at Dunkin Donuts is better for you than a muffin, there's a problem. The problem of course being that a muffin at a place like that is 3 to 4 times the size of a muffin you'd make at home as a normal portion size.

So many foods have shocked me. I hope to continue to make better choices, or at the very least well-informed choices as I continue to educate myself.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    All fast food.......calories aren't terrible but fat and sodium content are off the charts.

I used to eat the baja salad at Wendy's thinking I was doing good......540 calories, 32 Grams of fat.....15 saturated and 1600 g sodium.....without any dressing. With the dressing I would be over my daily sodium intake with just a salad at lunch.

That is just mind blowing and a perfect example of why we have so many health problems in this country - because they can market this crap as healthy alternatives - what BS

This^^. The calories don't bother me too much but the sodium is insane. And the chemicals in everything mass-produced.
  • blf20
    blf20 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Milk :( Always told milk's good for you! I love the stuff, used to drink close to 4 pints some days. Not any more :(

Just switch to cold skim milk 0 sugar and 0 fat.

About food that floored me - Costco Chicken Pot Pie 728 for 1/4 or abt 525 for 1/6. It's on the database.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    most salads you buy are sooo high in fat and sodium and calories if you eat the whole thing. i always would prefer grilled chicken on my salad but even that when you add cheese and even half the croutons is very high in fat and sodium. i end up making my own and substituting alot of stuff on those salads.