14567810»

Replies

• photochick85
    Options
    I totally get it!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    very true.. i like to think 'if it doesnt challenge you, it wont change you'.
    THIS

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I found I was "kidding myself" in a different fashion.

I thought that all gyms were the same. Go there, do some lifting, and go home. So I joined a gym. They had tons of weight machines, aerobics machines, and then a small corner for free weights. This should have been sign one for me - I wasn't really looking for aerobics other than a 10 minute warmup before lifting.

They also had rules such as "don't drop the weights", and "no deadlifts". The only thing for squats was a Smith machine, so I worked on that. Bad form - my knees would hurt after a few lifts, so I thought I was just lifting heavy. Tried talking to a "trainer", and he just suggested I "eat 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight" to help gain muscle. That's 2 lbs of chicken a day - unrealistic. I ended up not going anymore because I wasn't getting anything done, and felt out of place.

Finally got the nerve to join a new gym - drop the weights, they don't care. Grunt a little, they don't care. Ask about lifting, and they not only helped me with form, but I did a full deep squat with 385 lbs without as much as a complaint from my knees! And I'm not only breaking one heck of a sweat, but nobody there is just there to "chat" - they're there to work out, but will be glad to shoot the crap with you as you switch out sets with them.

Short version: I fooled myself into thinking I could work out efficiently in a gym that wasn't designed for me. It really hurt my pride and momentum, and almost stopped me from working out at all.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    So working out with a new client who has been stuck for over 3 months, 2 weeks ago I bombarded her with weights she's never used before. Yesterday after working out with her (we meet every 2 weeks) we spoke for a few minutes and she told me that she couldn't believe that for this long she thought she was working out really hard...............until our first session. EX: she used to squat with 30lbs on her back. Our first session, I loaded it up to 70lbs. She was really apprehensive, but did it. She is now convinced that she was "kidding herself" that she wasn't able to lift heavy and that's why she stuck to all the light weights. She's already seen a 3lb drop where she hasn't seen any weight movement for 5 months.
    No fear, no doubt, no light weights!!!

THIS!

I used to think I needed to "work up to" the bar. I'd do goblet squats holding a ten pound plate or something like that.

After reading SS and SL stuff, I decided, WTH? and tried the bar. And I could totally do it!

The only lift I really needed to "work up to" the bar with was the overhead press. That was totally motivating.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I found I was "kidding myself" in a different fashion.

I thought that all gyms were the same. Go there, do some lifting, and go home. So I joined a gym. They had tons of weight machines, aerobics machines, and then a small corner for free weights. This should have been sign one for me - I wasn't really looking for aerobics other than a 10 minute warmup before lifting.

They also had rules such as "don't drop the weights", and "no deadlifts". The only thing for squats was a Smith machine, so I worked on that. Bad form - my knees would hurt after a few lifts, so I thought I was just lifting heavy. Tried talking to a "trainer", and he just suggested I "eat 1 g of protein per pound of bodyweight" to help gain muscle. That's 2 lbs of chicken a day - unrealistic. I ended up not going anymore because I wasn't getting anything done, and felt out of place.

Finally got the nerve to join a new gym - drop the weights, they don't care. Grunt a little, they don't care. Ask about lifting, and they not only helped me with form, but I did a full deep squat with 385 lbs without as much as a complaint from my knees! And I'm not only breaking one heck of a sweat, but nobody there is just there to "chat" - they're there to work out, but will be glad to shoot the crap with you as you switch out sets with them.

Short version: I fooled myself into thinking I could work out efficiently in a gym that wasn't designed for me. It really hurt my pride and momentum, and almost stopped me from working out at all.
    Sounds like you were at Planet Fitness........................

IDEA Fitness member
  • KiltFuPanda
    KiltFuPanda Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    ... was trying to be nice, but you got it in one.

When you start getting funny looks doing 3x10 sets of 800 lbs on the incline sled, it's time to move to a new gym.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    ... was trying to be nice, but you got it in one.

When you start getting funny looks doing 3x10 sets of 800 lbs on the incline sled, it's time to move to a new gym.
    No need to be nice about a gym that states it's "Judgement free" except when it comes to people who like to move some iron.

IDEA Fitness member