Most Disgusting Thing You've Found In Your Food?

Options

Replies

• MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    when I worked at headstart they were transporting the lunch to the school I found a cockroach in the gravy. It was a good thing I whispered to the teacher about it and told her she might not want to serve the gravy. the health inspector was there went to another room for a minuet so she thanked me for catching it and saving her butt.
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    Once my Dad and I went to a restaurant called in a suburb of Nashville (Madison), TN to eat for Thanksgiving Day. They had the best dressing for a little dive "family style restaurant" too. I got a dirty bandaid in my dressing:(

Years later, my Dad and his wife came to visit my then husband and I in Houston, TX and I was eating a salad. I bit down on a little metal screw. It REALLY hurt, they acted like I put it in there then the salad prep person came out and apologized and said that they use these little steak knives to cut them up and one of the little screws had apparently fallen out that was in the steak knife... they offered me a free meal. I didn't want to eat at a TGI Fridays again for years!

Once my sister found a cockroach in a can of chili she was eating:( GROSS
    There was a worm in a salad (in a cherry tomato) that my Mom was eating at the TGI Friday's in Nashville....
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    I was eating KFC coleslaw when I came across this thread and literally just threw it away because I lost my appetite lol, As for feathers still being in fried chicken...a lot would be gross yea but the occasional feather? It was deep fried, I seriously doubt any germs survived that process, pick it out and keep eating lol.
  • danthomson56
    Options
    I found 1/2 of a bee in a salad at Arby's a couple of years ago. And yes, it looked like I had eaten the other half. Not a lot of calories in bee's, thank goodness.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I found a giant thick curly man hair in my can of flavoured tuna a couple years ago. Buried right in the middle of the can. Already had eaten half of it. If I knew how the heck to put pics up on here I would be glad to show you... gag.

I need to see this.

I tried like 10 times to upload the pic and Its just not happening... sorry!
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    Strange, I know, but I found a closed safety pin embedded in a Tyson's chicken breast. We took it to the local health department and I doubt much happened since it was discovered before eaten. I cannot imagine how it got there though! Weird!!! Also, I used to buy coffee every morning from this old fashioned automated machine where you made your selection then had to hold the cup under the coffee spout you preferred - black, sugar only, sugar + cream. One day I passed the machine while it was being maintained and there were 50+ dead roaches trapped near the spouts. The coffee literally passed through all of the bodies as it poured. Needless to say, I didn't use that machine (or similar ones) since but I somehow managed to remain a coffee lover. Blek! Fun topic, by the way!!

THIS ONE, THIS ONE RIGHT HERE...i went flush, pale and nearly had to scratch my goosebumps away....gag
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Years ago I worked at a Fruit & Veg suppliers. The stories I could tell.:wink:

My fav is the branch who rang to say they'd found a frog in with the bananas. They sent it back to us the next day in a jam jar well supplied with lettuce. It was a tiny little tree frog. We rang the local musium, and they came to collect it. Turned out it was a very rare type & it lived out it's days in a living exibit in the musium. It even made to local news.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a butchers , in those days people in the shops didn't wear gloves.
    I had made sausages , I had mixed the batch with my hands and as fast as I was making them they
    were being sold. Earlier in the day I had cut my finger and put a bandaid on it, after the rush of customers I noticed
    the bandaid wasn't on my finger. Somebody must have found their sausage extra chewy !!

Too funny. My dad is a butcher also and had this happen years ago. Except he was wrapping up meat (steaks, burger and what not) for an order. He didnt notice til the people were gone that the bandaid and gauze was no longer on his his finger. To this day he still laughs about it and what the people must have thought.

Having worked in butcher shops, grocery stores and delivering product to many restaurants over the years. I gladly avoid eating out as much as I can. I've just seen too much gross stuff in the back rooms behind closed doors :sick:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I opened a package of Quaker instant oatmeal and there were live worms in it, I was so grossed out I didn't eat oatmeal for a year!

Me too!!!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    Just last night we found a moth in our salad, MMMM CROUTONS!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've had a few occasions where there was a shard of plastic or some other hard material like it in my food.

Bugs in food would freak me out but on lettuce or produce, I would say it's not a big deal and probably pretty natural and common.
  • dolldreams
    dolldreams Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    In Basic Training there was an eyeball in my fish. I was so hungry and scared to say anything, I just ate around it.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I was eating KFC coleslaw when I came across this thread and literally just threw it away because I lost my appetite lol, As for feathers still being in fried chicken...a lot would be gross yea but the occasional feather? It was deep fried, I seriously doubt any germs survived that process, pick it out and keep eating lol.

OOPS!! LOL The thought did cross my mind that with it deep fried it probably was ok, but ummmm...NO! We ate the rest of the chicken though...that piece hit the trash can.
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Ants in the Lucky Charms - Years ago while babysitting I poured the kid and I each a bowl and thought they must've had a special edition with sprinkles....upon closer inspection, they were ants and we were eating them. :ohwell:

OMG I forgot ANOTHER one! Staying at a friend's house for a bit and poured my bowl of cereal and began eating when I noticed ants EVERYWHERE in my bowl! *bleck*
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I was at a big meeting were they were trying to save money so they made coffee in one of those big gator aid containers.

Well I NEED my coffee, and I went and got it.

this was a big meeting with all sorts of people from places that I didn't know. So I drank my coffee.

Apparently they had recently made some sort of soup in it, because at the bottom I got a big mouthful of carrots peas, beans and coffee grounds. I pretty much spit it up all over the place. it tasted like absolute garbage. The only other thing to drink was ice water.. in another gator aid container.
    I sat for half an hour wanting to puke till I realized I could just go to the bathroom and rinse my mouth out in the sink.
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Personally, I say who cares? Those insects are probably more nutritious than the food they are in! Plus, most food that we eat already has bugs and parts in them... we just don't know it. (It's allowed by the FDA.) I'm an advocate for entomophagy.

The one that does bother me are the band-aids. Seriously... they didn't realize it fell off? Um, at least they were covering their cut??

http://www.fda.gov/food/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidancedocuments/sanitation/ucm056174.htm

I worked at a sub shop in NC, Baldinos.., they made me where those blue condom look a like things over my bandaid. =|
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A WHOLE CATERPILLAR in a CAN of organic green peas!! I found it when I lifted my fork about to eat a bite....I 'bout hurled!! I will NEVER again buy canned veggies!!!...which was probably a good thing in the long run!
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    I was at my grandmas house and went to get a Swiss Roll.. I bit into it and it was Sour.. =( Chocolate isn't supposed to be sour.
  • Chrystibel
    Chrystibel Posts: 116
    Options
    A WHOLE CATERPILLAR in a CAN of organic green peas!! I found it when I lifted my fork about to eat a bite....I 'bout hurled!! I will NEVER again buy canned veggies!!!...which was probably a good thing in the long run!

LOL yea...I dumped out a can of organic corn for my kids and there was a whole worm caterpillar thing in it... that's a little too organic for my taste.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I used to work in food micro. And yes we were allowed to pass a certain number of insect parts and rodent hairs per sample. The number was actually alarmingly high.
    I lost so much weight working there. I once received a pack of sausage casings for testing. The sample was full of maggots. That one didn't pass.

When I was in 4th grade though a girl next to me opened up her HOT lunch. Peeled back the foil and a huge spider crawled out of the steaming spaghetti. I have been traumatized since.