Greek Yogurt lovers - (plain) How to sweeten it

Options

Replies

• IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like protein powder in mine. I've also heard, but haven't tried, that people use Mio in their Greek yogurt.
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    1)stevia(all natural 0 cal sweetner) mixed with cinnamon
    2) chcolate whey protein powder
    3) libbys pure mashed pumpkin with cinnamon and nutmeg <--love this
    4) frozen blueberries
    5) peanut butter would be good (or P2B) but ive never tried it, it just occured to me.
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    I use truvia/stevia and toss in fresh blueberries. It sweetens it up nicely and adds very few calories. The Trader Joe plain greek yogurt is less bitter in taste than Fage or Chobani IMO.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I add stewed rhubarb to it.
    Add rhubarb, a little water and sugar to taste to a pot and boil down. I usually make a weeks worth of this at a time.
  • divinebird
    divinebird Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make sorbet at home, which does contain sugar but is a pretty low-cal treat. Add a scoop of that on top of your yogurt and mix it up--it's a super creamy sweet-tart dessert. I have that as a snack all the time; with fat-free greek yogurt and the sorbet, a massive bowl of it ends up being about 140 calories and I am STUFFED.

May I also suggest that you try reducing the sweetener little by little? When I started eating it, I needed honey or preserves with it. Now I can lick the spoon clean without adding a thing. For folks like you and me, who were used to pre-sweetened yogurt, it is something of an acquired taste. But it's TOTALLY worth developing! I find myself craving that specific tartness sometimes. I actually can't stand most yogurts now because they don't hold up to what I expect from a good plain yogurt!
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Blue Agave or a little honey :smile:
  • SingeSange
    SingeSange Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, but the only kinds that I have had were little mini cups with blueberries on the bottom and the other was with honey. I loved the blueberry one, but the honey was disgusting (think it was bad). So this time, I bought a big tub of plain greek yogurt and a bunch of fresh blueberries. Today, I had a half of cup of yogurt and half cup of blueberries. I almost gagged. I need some sugar!

So the question is, how can I sweeten it up without adding too many calories? I do plan on buying some real honey and adding it to it, but I would like a variety. Would also like an idea on how I can sweeten it and use the blueberries, something to complement them.

Try the blue agave syrup. It's really sweet so you won't need much and it tastes better than honey. : )
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I use plain greek yogurt and add my own honey. It tastes different than the ones you get in the store. Also try to add cereal, the sugar in there should help.
  • joannecando
    Options
    Fruit is always a good choice, or natural honey or agave. When I just coudn't stand it and wanted some "real" sugar, I woud put in some raw brown sugar, which added a really satisfying crunch too.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    i also add my own locally-sourced honey (right now, it's buckwheat. my favorite is wildflower.) to plain 2% fage when i eat it on its own. i usually put it in my chocolaty protein smoothies these days. i also use a dallop on baked sweet potatoes instead of sour cream. it goes really well with natural sweetness of the potato.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I have a milkshake recipe that calls for a couple tablespoons of the stuff. I find it way too creamy on its own, but that same excessive creaminess works wonders for the consistency of a drink that would otherwise be either icy or way too high in calories and fat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/613773-giant-pistachio-milkshake-80cals-the-secret-to-creaminess
    It's basically this recipe, except I use half a cup of skim milk, chocolate pudding powder, and frozen strawberries.
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My favorite is honey, with or without some fresh strawberries.
    I make homemade preserves, so today I had Fage Total with raspberry preserves ( I use less sugar in my preserves than most store bought).
    I have tried a bunch of fruit/sweetener combos, but those are my favorites.
    OOOH, and super ripe peaches .... the really, really sweet juicy summer peaches? Those are awesome and don't need any other sweetener, in my opinion.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Stevia and fresh raspberries.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    always up for new ideas to add to yogurt!:drinker:
  • nastenka26
    Options
    I love plain greek yogurt with honey, almonds, dried cranberries, and raw oats <3
  • oceanwishes
    Options
    i use a serving of Simply Fruit to sweeten my plain greek yogurt.
  • johncole90
    johncole90 Posts: 23
    Options
    Serving of chocolate syrup. yum.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Sugar free/fat free jello pudding powder. Cheesecake is my favorite!
  • arellolson
    arellolson Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track with the plain yogurt and fresh blueberries! I sometimes slice up a few strawberries in it as well. But even then, I like it a little sweeter. I was using honey, but now, I use Raw, Organic Agave Nectar. Agave is nice because, even though it still has about the same calories as honey, you don't need too much of it. It also, does not spike your glucose levels, so your blood sugar stays nice and even!! It is one of my favorite things to eat, especially in the summertime. Enjoy!!