Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• brett1117
    brett1117 Posts: 208
    Options
    I'm a police officer. I carry Sig P229. I also have a back up weapon Springfield XDM..In my squad I have an AR-15 rifle :) can't carry that though :))
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    You 'mericans are lucky to even have the choice to CC. Up here in ultra-liberal hell called Canada, I practically have to beg to simply own a gun, and having to transport it to a gun range is another bend-over session.

I recently got a S&W M&P9 and love it. Also have an older .22 revolver, but that's more of a nostalgia piece.

Yup, and our rates of gun deaths in Canada are less than 1/2 per 100,000 than our American friends, and our homicide rate is 1/5th of the US. I'll take the nanny state regulation of firearms over the debate on conceal or not conceal any day. You are always free to move south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    My husband carries a glock and it seems to work fine. Good size, not too big and bulky and heavy, but still slick looking lol. Sorry I can't be more descriptive.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Why would you carry? Why do you feel the need?

This.
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Some guns that have been suggested so far:

Springfield XDM
    Walther P99
    S&W M&P
    Sig Sauer P229
    H&K 45
    Glock 19
    I like them all! Try finding a local gun shop that rents guns, or a friend who owns one, so you can try each one out.

I shot Springfield xdm. It's an amazing gun! Very simple to strip. I also have a Glock 17. Not good for concealed. They are bulky. And a sig p250. It would be okay with a shoulder holster but not good on concealed. The sig also has a long trigger pull to it. Our next purchase is a beretta fs foe home and a Springfield xdm for concealed!
  • miniberger
    miniberger Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Please take a class on gun safety. And read "In the Gravest Extreme".

Carrying a gun is an awesome responsibility that requires respect.
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This whole post is surreal! ... And scary! It's generally unheard of to carry a gun in Australia unless your a Police Officer or a criminal!!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This whole post is surreal! ... And scary! It's generally unheard of to carry a gun in Australia unless your a Police Officer or a criminal!!
    I agree that it's scary. People's minds seem to go right to deadly force. It's such a foreign concept to me, and I am an American, born and raised.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You 'mericans are lucky to even have the choice to CC. Up here in ultra-liberal hell called Canada, I practically have to beg to simply own a gun, and having to transport it to a gun range is another bend-over session.

I recently got a S&W M&P9 and love it. Also have an older .22 revolver, but that's more of a nostalgia piece.

Yup, and our rates of gun deaths in Canada are less than 1/2 per 100,000 than our American friends, and our homicide rate is 1/5th of the US. I'll take the nanny state regulation of firearms over the debate on conceal or not conceal any day. You are always free to move south.

I concur.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

I agree! Not a fan of guns. Too dangerous with a high potential of an accident for casual non-business use.

I don't understand the need to carry one unless you're a cop or a detective and it's required by the profession.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options

Canada does not share a border with Mexico nor has millions of drug addicts that cause 85% of ALL violent crime.
    Comparing crime rates between countries is difficult due to the differences in jurisprudence, reporting and crime classifications. National crime statistics are in reality statistics of only selected crime types.
    And, of course Canada will have a lower rate of gun death, they have less guns! That is a moronic claim.
    Robbery, homicide, and assaults in Canada are more often committed with KNIFE than gun. If you're dead, does it matter how you were murdered?
  • KathieSwenson
    Options

This.

I be the first to tell you that I am not a gun lover. If I had it my way I wouldn't have one around. However, after many close calls in a fairly decent neighborhood. I have opted to consider carrying. It is a dangerous world with the need to protect yourself. Guns don't kill people. People kill people and if you are not protected then how do you plan to protect yourself. Plus. I live in Texas. We have all kinds of wildlife here that will not think twice about coming after you to kill you. Including mountain lions, coyotes and rattlesnakes. I am also a first degree red belt in tae. Kwon do and at first I was convinced that this is all I need but if someone is breaking into my house, trust me ill get out my sig, I'll give the one warning that I am armed and will take defense and then I'll have to protect myself from there.
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    This thread is meant to discuss what gun to carry.

If a vegetarian made a post on what bean has the most protein, i wouldn't go on there and try and talk about how being a vegetarian is unhealthy, wouldn't you consider that poor taste????

In the same way, you are polluting this thread with unwanted commentary. If you want to discuss gun control, please start your own forum post instead of posting here. It's called etiquette.
  • RedWeb
    RedWeb Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Wow, do you judge much?

Glad you changed the original post. I'm sure I wouldn't have been the only one to report it. Would have been your last day on here.

Chill !!
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
    Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Exactly!!!
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This thread is meant to discuss what gun to carry.

If a vegetarian made a post on what bean has the most protein, i wouldn't go on there and try and talk about how being a vegetarian is unhealthy, wouldn't you consider that poor taste????

In the same way, you are polluting this thread with unwanted commentary. If you want to discuss gun control, please start your own forum post instead of posting here. It's called etiquette.

You make a very good point and I apologise for 'highjacking' your thread - however, if you'd worded it as above initially rather than just telling us to '*** off' then it would have been much less offensive!
  • rogarr
    rogarr Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    anyway back to the original subject....I have an SW40VE and I love it. Great for home protection, but a bit too big for carrying. My gf has a Ruger LCP which in my opinion is small and perfect for carrying....
  • callmeBAM
    Options
    In a 1998 book, More Guns, Less Crime, economics researcher John Lott's analysis of crime report data claims a statistically significant effect of concealed carry laws on crime, with more permissive concealed carry laws correlated with a decrease in overall crime. Lott studied FBI crime statistics from 1977 to 1993 and found that the passage of concealed carry laws resulted in a murder rate reduction of 8.5%, rape rate reduction of 5%, and aggravated assault reduction of 7%.

some other points to consider:
    New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
    In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
    In 1976, Washington, D.C. enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.

But, feel free to bring your idea that the world is full of puppy dogs and rainbows and that if guns were made illegal, crime would stop. No, do that and the average citizen would be defenseless while the criminal (not caring about laws) would have guns.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    New Jersey adopted what sponsors described as "the most stringent gun law" in the nation in 1966; two years later the murder rate was up 46% and the reported robbery rate had nearly doubled.
    In 1968, Hawaii imposed a series of increasingly harsh measures and its murder rate tripled from a low of 2.4 per 100,000 in 1968 to 7.2 by 1977.
    In 1976, Washington, D.C. enacted one of the most restrictive gun control laws in the nation. Since then, the city's murder rate has risen 134% while the national murder rate has dropped 2%.
    Don't forget Chicago!!!
This discussion has been closed.