Do people log their alcohol intake.

Replies

• chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    A calorie is a calorie whether you eat it or drink it.

This first. And then.... it's up to you to decide which means more to you right now. Getting drunk or getting fit.

Realistically speaking, I drink quite a bit on the weekends or when I go out as well - and I drink straight vodka, or vodka and sugar free redbull. It comes out to about 100 calories per drink. I never count the first one, but I will count after that. I don't always "log" it, because if i'm out drinking, I am probably not thinking about my macros.
  • mamatrice
    mamatrice Posts: 14
    At first I didn't log my alcohol intake but then I realized I was cheating myself. Yes, you should log your alcohol calories but you really should not substitute it for your meals. It isn't just about calories. Nutrition is very important. You want to feel good so it is important to balance out all your nutrients including protein, fat, carbs etc. Exercise would be a good way to balance out those extra calories from alcohol, snacks, etc.
  • agreed! thank you so much for your opinions guys!
    i am at university, and naturally drink a lot, but not excessively! and i know my limits.

but the whole excersising to counter balance what i know i am going to drink is an excellent plan. so annoying alcohol is full of empty calories. such a shame !

x
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    When I have a couple drinks, it really screws up my weight loss program, causes me to retain water and takes a couple days to get rid of the excess water, so I try to avoid alcohol when I am losing but sometimes you just gotta have the drink. I don't always log stuff and usually don't log alcohol, especially when I am having more than I should be having.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    I certainly do. It's calories taken in. Therefore, I log
  • shellrocker12
    shellrocker12 Posts: 47 Member
    I log everything, solid or liguid!! Everything has calories - except for ofcourse the good ole H20!!!!
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Nope, the last thing I want to be thinking about when drinking is cals/carbs.

I don't log exercise either.

I figure they will cancel each other out.:-)

As long as I am drinking wine (preferably red) and not beer I don't sweat the booze ...

I'm afraid I still don't understand why you don't log alcohol and exercise. Certainly alcohol affects your macronutrients (hello carbs). Likewise, doesn't exercise factor in to ones sense of well-being and body composition?

ya....the calories in red wine are nothing like the calories in beer......NOT

so if you dont keep track of calories burned or calories consumed, why are you here?
    I know its just a waste of time otherwise.

Nope, it's not wasting my time ... I am very interested in tracking my macronuttrient consumption and the effect this has on both my body composition and general mood.

I love MFP but not for tracking calories :)
  • Absolutely I track alcohol.

Those calories add up FAST.

When I track, it helps me figure out if that second (third, fourth) glass of wine or pint of beer is really worth it.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I look at it this way. If I don't log everything to the best of my ability, my log is about useless. How can I look back and see what worked and didn't if I left off an entire food group? :wink:
  • vltaylor35
    vltaylor35 Posts: 72
    log it! hopefully seeing how many calories are you drinking will change your habits. if not, drinking days should definately be work out days!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I don't drink much, but I picked up some of the dollar bottles of really watered down vodka from the gas station and spent a good hour doing math based on the proof amounts in them, and they only work out to about 60 Cal each bottle. Now, the bottle of Sky that we have around here somewhere.... I bet that is a different story.

Is it sad that now I want to look for dollar bottles of low cal vodka at the gas station? :laugh:
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Yes I log the alcohol I drink.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    I don't.
    But I'm losing at a rate that I'm very happy with, so until I don't - I won't.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I don't.
    But I'm losing at a rate that I'm very happy with, so until I don't - I won't.

I like :)

And here is further proof of my madness ... each to their own y'all :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/DeadVim/view/i-don-t-log-alcohol-i-don-t-log-exercise-why-am-i-even-bothering-278563

I've got a cracking bottle of Shiraz on the go, $60 a bottle fresh from duty-free thanks to the Mother In Law's european adventure.

Calories? Carbs? I have not a clue.
  • matafleur
    matafleur Posts: 5
    absolutely! calories in get marked down.

I'm not going to lie, I like to drink, and drink on the weekdays. I'm on a 1200 cal/day plan- which I stick to quite strictly- and treat exercise as a way to earn alcohol ;)
  • sherryjohnson2012
    sherryjohnson2012 Posts: 102 Member
    I do... just look!! lol
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    Absolutely, it's a treat and just like ice cream has a lot of fast digesting carbs. You'd log candy bars if you ate them wouldn't you?
  • I don't. If I know I'm going to be drinking, I cut back on the rest of my calorie intake for the day. When I'm drinking, I drink to get drunk, and quantifying the drinks/counting calories is the last thing on my mind. Sometimes I also just don't know how much/and of what I'm drinking. For example tonight I shared a Long Island with a friend at a local bar. I don't know what they put in it, I don't know how much I drank vs. how much he drank, or even how many oz the drink was to begin with. I do know though that that small amount of alcohol won't set me back dramatically, plus I worked out a bit today so I don't feel too guilty about it.
  • shellebelle87
    shellebelle87 Posts: 291 Member
    I do if it is just a couple of drinks at night. I dont if I am out on a bender, because I have no idea how much I drank. I know what I drank, but not how many. But as someone else said, those nights are full of dancing so I like to think I exercise the majority of it off. Sadly I am not drinking now until I am at my goal weight. And now all I want to do is have a darn drink!!!
  • that's why I often don't log on the weekends, I look at it and just feel awful afterwards!! But yeah I think back to when I was at uni, I don't even want to admit what I used to drink.
    - when ppl say 'oh gosh i had 3 glasses of wine last night' I think, why? were you trying to stay sober?

But I'm not sure where you live, here in Australia we have heaps of cheap substitues for the coconut rum 'malibu', instead of $35 - $40 a bottle, can get a bottle for like $14 (good for uni students), and I mix that with diet soft drinks. It's about 21%, so one of your better options (for price/strength/calories)