for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I did W5d2 of c25k yesterday morning. It was pretty good. Not as hard as I thought.

I could never run on the treadmill. I also have to run in the mornings. Same reasons as IPlay. Less traffic, I am not as tired mentally so I do better physically. It is now actually sort of light out with the time change. I have one maniacal schoolbus driver on my road. She has almost hit me twice. :grumble: Where do they get these people? If I wait to run after work it is easier to come up with excuses not to also. I do it in the morning, and then it is done! BTW, I hate mornings.

Today is a no run day. Zumba! :drinker:
  • darman
    darman Posts: 269
    Options
    okay - here we go - first 5k this Satruday - I am already getting nervous - tried my "race" pace today - did 5k in 26:30 - not too shabby for an old guy - lol

Have no idea how to train for this thing - gues I will do an easy long run tomorrow - taking Friday off from running - just working out in the gym

Reading through the posts - everyone is really doing great - the weather is getting so nice for running outside - must say I do miss the sweat though - just don't feel like I am burning enough cals if I'm not sweating up a storm - ya know.......
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Tabby- I am not a morning person either, but I like to run in the morning too, to get it over with so I don't find 100 excuses.

Darman- I don't recommend a long run tomorrow. I would do an easy run, with Friday off. No need to tire out your muscles for Friday. 26:30 is awesome! I am dreaming of those times again! Someday...:blushing:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Today is my weights day, but I was thinking. My first race of 2 miles is in 2.5 weeks. And I have no idea what my 2 mile time is because I've been running time, not distance.

I'm sans family tonight. So I'm thinking 2-Mile run before weights this evening, and then turning around and doing the C25K in the am, that would be 25 minutes.

I may be dragging tomorrow afternoon, but I feel good, and I think I'm up for it. I'll post later with my time.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I did W5D2 this morning. Phew. For a while there when I had to run uphill for a few minutes, I was dying. But I made it through! Friday is 20 minute run! :drinker:

iplayoutside19 - Good luck on your 2-mile run!
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I did W5D2 this morning. Phew. For a while there when I had to run uphill for a few minutes, I was dying. But I made it through! Friday is 20 minute run! :drinker:

Thanks.

I was so aprehensinve of that first 20 Minute run, I did a several fist pumps when I finished it.
  • savvystephy
    Options

Thanks.

I was so aprehensinve of that first 20 Minute run, I did a several fist pumps when I finished it.

Haha! I may do a little dance afterwards myself if I can manage it. :tongue:
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    That little run didn't go the way I wanted. I was nearing the 1 mile mark and I felt a little tinge in my knee. I was on a dirt road at the time and some times the ground isn't even so I thought maybe on that step I landed wrong. But I felt it two more times with increasing severeity. So I shut it down and stretched.

I started walking back and didn't feel it again. I then ran most fo the way back home, did my wieght training which included two sets that involved my knee and still haven't felt it again. Now I'm miffed and kind of pissed off about it.

Will say racing a clock is a completly different mentality than running for time. I was on pace for a 10 minutes mile. Maybe with the different mentality I changed something about my stride that my knee didn't like. Oh Well, W7D2 tomorrow morning.
  • tabbydog
    Options
    My next run is the 20 Minute run also..... Ai yi yi. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow, but Zumba tonight kicked my butt..... We'll see how I feel in the morning. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight, might be a good day to just stay in bed......:noway:

If not tomorrow, then Friday for sure. Looking forward to having it done! :tongue:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    My next run is the 20 Minute run also..... Ai yi yi. I was thinking of doing it tomorrow, but Zumba tonight kicked my butt..... We'll see how I feel in the morning. We are supposed to get a bunch of snow tonight, might be a good day to just stay in bed......:noway:

If not tomorrow, then Friday for sure. Looking forward to having it done! :tongue:

I hear ya! I am nervous about it, though I am sure I can do it! :smile:

iplayoutside - Perhaps it was a different stride or something. I am glad it went away though. Just relax tonight and do C25K tomorrow. I hope the pain doesn't come back! :flowerforyou:
  • tabbydog
    Options
    IPlay, my knees do that sometimes. I am not sure what it is. A sharp piercing pain with increasing intensity, then it usually stops. I usually back off my pace a little bit until it stops, and then continue, assuming it does stop. Grrrrrr. I hate when a run doesn't go the way you want it to, but there is always tomorrow! :wink:
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    W7D2 went off without a hitch. No pain in the knee. Although had a litle trouble until inertia took over. I was a little sluggish from the work out last night.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Great job c25k people! :drinker: I am really looking forward to hearing about your first race!:bigsmile:
  • savvystephy
    Options
    WOOHOO! I did my first 20 minute run! YES C25K W5D3!!! :drinker: :drinker: I am so happy I made it! Even running up the hill I was dying on Wednesday felt so much easier today! I didn't feel nauseated until the top of the hill and Wednesday I felt nauseated halfway through it. :laugh:

I am so happy! :tongue:
  • tabbydog
    Options
    Steph, I ran 20 minutes today too! I was so happy. The last bit of the first 10 minutes was starting to kill me because it is about 3 minutes of up hill, but after that it was easy! Well, not easy, but doably hard! Yay to you and yay to me! Next week looks really easy! :tongue:

IPlay, I am not a fist pump kind of girl, but if I was, I would have done it. I did have a grin from ear to ear though! :bigsmile:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    That's awesome Steph and Tabby! Keep up the good work! When are your races???:wink::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Is your first race On your ticker Steph?

I ran on the track today. Did 800m repeats. Blah!!!!:grumble: :grumble: I do hate doing that....but I know it makes me faster....I am reminding myself....I know it makes me faster! :flowerforyou:
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    hi all,
    sounds like your all doing great this week.

I had a slow start, but I'm picking up speed for the rest of the week. I will have to run both days this weekend to reach my goal for 25 miles this week. But it is do-able!!!!:wink:
    congrat's to all of you that reached your goals of 20min... running this week. That is a great accomplishment... I remember how hard that was.

Good luck to you all.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    Since my schedule won't allow me to run tomorrow. I finished up W7C25K tonight. By far the best run of the week. Now that I'm done I know I'm ready for W8. Which is weird, typicly when i run in the evening it's a real struggle. Today was a double header too, I did weights this morning (lets put it this way, I have a 532 calorie pork chop for dinner and I'm still 250 calories under goal). Now my work out week is done. Time for some rest.

Have a good weekend.
  • savvystephy
    Options
    That's awesome Steph and Tabby! Keep up the good work! When are your races???:wink::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Is your first race On your ticker Steph?

I ran on the track today. Did 800m repeats. Blah!!!!:grumble: :grumble: I do hate doing that....but I know it makes me faster....I am reminding myself....I know it makes me faster! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! Yep, my first race will be that date on the ticker. I have been trying to find races this winter, but it seems that this year no one near me wants to host them! (In previous years there have been hang over races on January 1st, and other races in the cold months). So I am keeping my eye out for ones sooner than 5 months from now, but at least I have one to target! :tongue:

Tabby - YAY great job! I know what you mean! 3 minutes of my run was uphill too. That was in the last 5 minutes of the 20 minute run too, so I was losing some steam. :laugh:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    nicolee516 - thanks for the encouragement!

I'm still on my trip - wedding with lots of food! Including BBQ - which I just can't turn down...

Anyhow, the hotel pool is closed - so they recommended a local hospital's fitness center that has not one, not two, not three, but 4 indoor pools! (including the most awesome hot tub) So, since my reward for getting on the treadmill is my cooldown in the pool, that did the trick!

I've decided to be a C2 5k "retread" - starting with week 3 - I'm starting back with intervals ton increase my base pace. So now, I'm trying to go faster - 6.0 for 90 seconds 5.0 for 3 minutes. I think this will work for me for a while. I wasn't having much luck finding another program to move forward to - and this one worked well for me, so why stop just because I finished all 9 weeks???

I feel much better being back on track. At first I was frustrated I was struggling with the shorter time, but the increased intensity is much harder for me. It's amazing how a little faster pace makes my ability to sustain it fall off like a rock!