for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Reporting in..... did 3.1 miles today - pushed myself to increase speed and worked up a good sweat! Tackled some hills in there as well...... all in all, not bad.

Happy to have a place and peeps to report in to, it will help me keep going.

Jan - good luck on Saturday - you're gonna feel AMAZING!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Going to run tonight. I should have run this morning but I was exhausted last night and went to bed early and wanted to sleep in (until 6:30) this morning. Feeling bright eyed and bushey tailed today, it helps that it is Friday!

22F this morning. Winter can't be coming already! It should be still in the 50's.... i love vermont i love vermont i love vermont.......

just not in the winter, which seems to be about 9 months of the year! :ohwell:
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Finished W4 of C25K this morning. Finished strong. This was also my first run with an MP3 player, boy did that make things go by fast. I think I'll look for a podcast tomorrow for next weeks running.

It didn't diminish my situational awareness very much, which is something I'm really big on.

I know I'm ready to move on because I actually thought I was begginning to get into a rythym and then it was time to stop. It was kind of irritating. But I'm really, really trying to avoid injuries. I'm still 60lbs over weight trying to run, no matter how much it gets easier. So I'm sticking to the plan, there's a reason it's there.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Finished W4 of C25K this morning. Finished strong. This was also my first run with an MP3 player, boy did that make things go by fast. I think I'll look for a podcast tomorrow for next weeks running.

It didn't diminish my situational awareness very much, which is something I'm really big on.

I know I'm ready to move on because I actually thought I was begginning to get into a rythym and then it was time to stop. It was kind of irritating. But I'm really, really trying to avoid injuries. I'm still 60lbs over weight trying to run, no matter how much it gets easier. So I'm sticking to the plan, there's a reason it's there.

Sounds like you have got the running bug! Good deal! I am running 5 tomorrow...well should I say run/walk, but it's about getting out there and moving the feet!

Tabbydog...I love Vermont! For skiing! I always figured if you can't beat the winter, join it outdoors head on!
    Smiles4smiles-Excellent! I gues you can laugh at everyone that has winter weathre already!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Well, I mustered through my 5mile run/walk...I haven't run that far in over a year! I started off slow as a turtle and I eased up from there!:laugh: :laugh: But I did it, and I feel great:smile:

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    Hi,
    Nicolee...great job on your 5 miles....that is so great!!!! :flowerforyou: I was right were you are just 2 weeks ago. so you are on your way and you will be running nonstop before you know it. just keep pushing yourself. You can do it!!!!!:smile:

:laugh: I am still amazed that I can do this. and today, i surpased my latest goal. I ran it nonstop. 6.1miles in 69.04. I always start with a 2 min. walk that is 00.10 of a mile. so my total was 6.2miles @ a speed of 5.3 in 71.04 min.'s so next week I will do it without counting the 2 min. warm up walk. But since I'm not increasing my speed yet, I do not expect to make the time any faster. In a couple of weeks I will begin to increase my speed and see how that goes. I am loving this,.although, I hate it when I am doing it. I spend most of the time thinking about how great it will be when it is over, and how I just need to go a few more min's and so on..... But WOW!!! when it is over...:bigsmile: the feeling of accomplishment is amazing...:smile: and the rush of adrenaline is empowering. :bigsmile: :laugh: I feel like I could do almost anything!!!!! so cool.
    I hope everyone has a good weekend.
    Keep pushing forward and a I wish you all strength and endurance today !!!!!:smile:
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Today I officially graduate from Couch to 5k with the completion of my 5k run in 41 minutes 7 seconds! My goal was 45 minutes. I didn't walk at all during the entire race. That's my fastest - If I did the math right it came out to 4.5 MPH. Wahooo!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Today I officially graduate from Couch to 5k with the completion of my 5k run in 41 minutes 7 seconds! My goal was 45 minutes. I didn't walk at all during the entire race. That's my fastest - If I did the math right it came out to 4.5 MPH. Wahooo!

Rock on!!!! What an accomplishment!! So proud... (and you must be too!)
    I logged on to get some motivation to get out there and do it - it's a gorgeous sunny day - will make for a nice run - gonna get out there and push myself.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and inspiration. I love this group!!! NIcole -you're right - no winter weather for me! (Makes me a HAPPY girl!) I'll report back in when the run is done.
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Had a great run today - 3.5 miles with some walking for a total of 5 miles. I do think I'm starting to like the cooler weather, found some great wicking long sleeve tops at TJ Maxx this morning so now with the right clothing it is really enjoyable. Great to read every one elses successes too - That's what has made me believe I can do this when I never was able to before.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Had a great run today - 3.5 miles with some walking for a total of 5 miles. I do think I'm starting to like the cooler weather, found some great wicking long sleeve tops at TJ Maxx this morning so now with the right clothing it is really enjoyable. Great to read every one elses successes too - That's what has made me believe I can do this when I never was able to before.

I don't know why Jenn, but when I see your posts it looks like you've always been a runner to me! Awesome job!

Just went out and gave it everything I had today. It wasn't as much as I have on other days, but that's how it goes, right? Focused on bursts of "speed" vs a greater distance at a slower pace.

I was thinking of starting 30 day shred too, but I'm not so sure how my legs will hold up with running AND toning. .. I did some squat toning exercises the other day and on my run today - I didn't really trust the ol'legs... :(
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Thanks smiles4miles - I just started the c25k in late July - I went through week 5 then kind of took off on my own, just set my own time and distance goals. I completely credit the c25k for getting me going though. Every other time I have ever tried to run I couldn't do it - when I started week 1 the 60 second runs were killers. I still don't go fast but I am running - I just love it, such a great way to get outdoors and burn mega calories. Now just working on extending my time and upping my speed. I agree with you some days are much more of a struggle then others, Ifind I really can't tell until I get out there, I may feel like I have tons of energy, then I start and just don't feel it.

I did the shred for 3 weeks in September, loved the results, but I found as I was increasing my running about the same time it was hard to do both, definitely didn't have the stamina to do on the same day. So for now I've been focused on running with just some basic 5 lb weight upper body work on the off days. Plan to start the shred again, it is a GREAT workout.
  • nicolee516
    Options

GREAT!!! JPrice! I am very proud of you! I know exactly how you feel! That is exactly how I felt when I did my first triathlon!

Thanks Smiles4smiles and m2kJenn! It's great to hear so much encouragement! Tomorrow I am just going to walk.

M2kjenn----a good way to increase your miles is to do interval training,either on a local track, your normal route, or treadmill...just friendly advice!

Thanks Kim for the encouragement as well! I keep trying not to think about hwen ididn't way this much and I used to run all of the time. I was sooooooo much faster....not that I was fast by any means! but I was definitely faster than now! I will be back though....!:smile::happy: :happy:

Just to let all of you know...we are not "wanna be" runners. WE ARE RUNNERS! Before I injured myself, I always frequented a running store for my sneakers, becuase they were alll runners and knew which shoe would be right for me. I sheppishly talked to the owners wife who was waiting on me, who won tons of stuff in running, but couldn't run anymore because she injured something, and said "I know I am not a runner and iknow I dont have a runner's build, but I do it and I love it!" Her was response was, "Why are you saying you are not a runner? You are out there doing it! So you ARE a runner!" Pretty profound if you ask me!

Have a great night!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I agree with you some days are much more of a struggle then others, Ifind I really can't tell until I get out there, I may feel like I have tons of energy, then I start and just don't feel it.

I did the shred for 3 weeks in September, loved the results, but I found as I was increasing my running about the same time it was hard to do both, definitely didn't have the stamina to do on the same day. So for now I've been focused on running with just some basic 5 lb weight upper body work on the off days. Plan to start the shred again, it is a GREAT workout.

It's good to hear I'm not the only one that happens to - yesterday I was mentally motivated and the body had other ideas - and other days, I go out there on 'autopilot' and before I know it, I've kicked butt! Maybe the lesson is in not trying too hard - and just letting it happen???

What are you doing now to increase your mileage? I saw Nicole's recommendation to do interval training. I'm not sure how that works. I thought about starting each day with a 30 minute base run and then follow it with the cto5k intervals from about week 3 and forward, to just increase the distance I'm running. But, then again, it might make more sense just to get out there and see what the body is willing to do.

On another note, I did day 1 of the shred today and WOW - had me sweating!!! I think I'll have to alternate it with running days for sure - hopefully this will make my legs STRONGER and have an overall positive impact on the running...
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Just to let all of you know...we are not "wanna be" runners. WE ARE RUNNERS! Before I injured myself, I always frequented a running store for my sneakers, becuase they were alll runners and knew which shoe would be right for me. I sheppishly talked to the owners wife who was waiting on me, who won tons of stuff in running, but couldn't run anymore because she injured something, and said "I know I am not a runner and iknow I dont have a runner's build, but I do it and I love it!" Her was response was, "Why are you saying you are not a runner? You are out there doing it! So you ARE a runner!" Pretty profound if you ask me!

Have a great night!

Thanks Nicole - it's probably helpful to "see" ourselves as the runners that we are! I have a "real runner" friend who may be joining me on my runs, and I'm starting to get nervous and doubt myself already! For what?!? She used to run 4 miles daily (in 30 minutes time) on the treadmill.... so far, it's taken me just over 30 mins to do 3.1 miles.... While I'm excited to have a running buddy, I'm battling the nerves of "measuring up". I know, I know, it's all in my head. Need to kick those thoughts STAT!
  • nicolee516
    Options
    Smiles- the intervals are basiclayy sprints. If you keep running the same pace all of the time you will stay that pace. We have 2 types of muscles. Fast twitch and slow twitch. The fast twitch are the sprinting muscles, the slow twitch we use for the long endurance runs. If you incorporate both in your training, you will ultimately lower your times.

As for your runner friend....don't be afraid!It will be exciting to run with someone. If she has only been running on a treadmill, it will be a big change for her and she will most likely slow down....I haven't met too many people that speed up going from treadmill to road.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 7 of the C25k today. So exciting! Last week's long run was 25 minutes - and it didn't feel too great. I think it was dehydration - I woke up so early (for me) that I didn't take the time to drink enough water before I went out. Still I made it through.

smiles4miles - I would love, love to have a running buddy! That sounds like fun. If you aren't the same pace, you can always make adjustments. I used to run and I had a friend who was a very experienced runner - she would sometimes take off after the warm up and run a loop ahead of me and then meet up with me for the end of the run. We would always sprint to the "finish" - she was an experienced runner but very petite and I have very long legs, so it was a fun little way to end our run "together" - Also, she would sometimes keep pace with me and treat it as her "easy" day - but would push me to run further, which was great for me.
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    I came to this thread for some motivation. I finished W4 of C25K on Friday. But I ate...or rather drank a bunch garbage on Saturday, so I'm not feeling my oats this morning. There some kind of rash on my ankle and I have no idea where I picked it up.

So I'm waiting for the Dr's office to open so i can get an appointment to check out the ankle. And when I run depends on that. Rather frustrating.

This is adversity, this is when people quit, so I just have to make sure I push through it and keep focused.

W5 starts some time today. D1 Actually looks easier than anything in Week 4
  • iplayoutside19
    Options
    On the dehydration thing. When i run first thing in the morning I have one or two sips of water before i go. Why, because I hate it sloshing around on my empty stomach when running.

The day before is when you should be drinking water. The evening before I pound the water.

Just like High School athletes getting cramps late in games. If you waited until game time to get hydrated it's already too late.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    I came to this thread for some motivation. I finished W4 of C25K on Friday. But I ate...or rather drank a bunch garbage on Saturday, so I'm not feeling my oats this morning. There some kind of rash on my ankle and I have no idea where I picked it up.

So I'm waiting for the Dr's office to open so i can get an appointment to check out the ankle. And when I run depends on that. Rather frustrating.

This is adversity, this is when people quit, so I just have to make sure I push through it and keep focused.

That's ok that you drank!:drinker: :drinker: We are all human! Saturday is my day I allow myself to drink alcohol. Imagine this! When I was younger, I used to do my long runs(6miles or more) on Sunday mornings, with a hangover! I have now decided to change my long runs to saturdays! I'm not sure about the rash, butget it checked out and don't beat yourself up! You will be right back on track!
  • iplayoutside19
    Options

That's ok that you drank!:drinker: :drinker: We are all human! Saturday is my day I allow myself to drink alcohol. Imagine this! When I was younger, I used to do my long runs(6miles or more) on Sunday mornings, with a hangover! I have now decided to change my long runs to saturdays! I'm not sure about the rash, butget it checked out and don't beat yourself up! You will be right back on track!

I'm not beating myself up. It was a day of gluttony and drunkenness that had been planned since Labor Day. Not sure when the next day like that is, but I bet it won't be until after Thanksgiving.
    However, I am re reminded why you're not supposed to do that all the time.

Yes in college I remember rolling out of the rack with a hang over, and doing Army ROTC PT. I'm not that guy anymore either.

Went to the Doc and got a scrip for the rash.

Then did W5D1 on a nature trail nearby. I've walked it several times, but it's amazing how much more you notice the elevation and twists and turns in the trail when you're running. The run was a good start to the work out week, not too stresful, and not too easy.

I think I've some time to play golf this afternoon. See how my game is 20 lbs lighter from the last time I played.