for all the hopefull "wanna be" runners out there - trying t

Options

Replies

• aeswan
    aeswan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure that I consider myself a runner, but the C25K has been amazing. I start the final week next week, and I'm amazed and proud.

So when do you guys think it's okay to consider yourself a runner? When you run 3 miles 3 times a week? Or more? I know it seems silly, but what's the criteria?

When you feel like one? I don't know. I've been running 3-4 miles several times a week for nearly a year, and I still have a hard time calling myself a runner.

3.8 miles this morning for me--I thought it was 4, so I was a little bummed when I got home and mapped the route. But I am loving the cooler, fall weather--great for running!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the criteria is but after I started the C25K I considered myself a runner. I never would have thought I would be running but I finished the C25K and now I'm hoping to run a 5K in Seattle in November.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Despite the doubts and second guessing that have been (unhelpfully) popping up - i got out there again today and did it. 30 minutes, no walk breaks, plenty of uphill, downhill and level stretches.

It wasn't quite the distance of 5k, but I know I can get there.

Jan, thanks for the encouragement - will be rooting for you on race day!
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You might be a runner if...

... you run for 3.8 miles and are disapointed it wasn't really 4!
  • aeswan
    Options

Maybe so! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options

Yup, I'm pretty sure that would qualify you as a runner. :laugh:
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    Ok, I know another one now...

... you plan for a morning run, and when you wake up discovering a pouring rain, you decide to run outdoors anyway.

(By that definition - I'm not there yet :-) My morning run got washed out this AM :-)
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I hope I can join this thread! I am trying to get back into running after an injury. I am running about 8 miles a week right now!
  • aeswan
    Options
    How about, when your run gets rained out you know you'll get out there and do it again another day, instead of giving up?

Today I went just over 3 miles, and felt like I was running through glue the whole time. :grumble:
    I think it was a combination of not enough lunch and being over dressed for the weather.

Welcome nicolee516!

And one more random question--does anyone else get itchy toes when they run?
  • nicolee516
    Options
    no...no itchy toes...not when I run at least!
  • JPriceGA
    Options
    No itcy toes, but I was wondering if others get HUNGRY on the days they don't run...

Hasn't happened often, but today is one of those days... hungrier than normal and fewer calories allotted without the compensating run. I went over by 110 today and still feel like I could eat dinner!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I find that days after I burn a lot of calories I'm more hungry than normal. We're talking about 1500-2000 calorie deficit. If that's the case I don't worry about going over a little bit.

I just did W4D1 of C25K. This week is a big test for me. This where you learn the pacing for distance running. I only stopped once for a about 10 seconds in the 2nd 5 min run.

The cool drizzle and wind didn't help either. But If I'm going to run a 5K in Dec you gotta deal with that.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for later. It's 11:23 and I have to go to bed so I can get up at 5:30 to do day 1 of week 4 c25k. 5:30 comes early...... :noway:
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I started Week 6 of C25k and I actually look forward to saying good bye to walk-run intervals next week!

I went to the local running store and bought some gloves and a hat for running. It is starting to get very chilly and the dark is creeping in. I really prefer outdoor running, so I have to figure out my clothing for the winter. I just bought an UnderArmour long sleeve compression top for cold. Now I have to figure out what to wear for my legs and feet.
  • blackmamba886
    blackmamba886 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    So after procrastinating for a week :blushing: I'm determined to start C25K again tonight. I'd like to be able to do it outside but the weather is rapidly getting really crappy out so I'm thinking I might start on the elliptical for the winter, then start from the beginning again once the weather starts improving in the spring.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    No itcy toes, but I was wondering if others get HUNGRY on the days they don't run...

Hasn't happened often, but today is one of those days... hungrier than normal and fewer calories allotted without the compensating run. I went over by 110 today and still feel like I could eat dinner!

I feel that way too the next day ....extremely hungry!:devil: :laugh: Going to go for a 2miler today, hopefully between the rain drops!
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    aeswan wrote:

I don't wanna gross you out, but it could be bacteria or fungus - you might be starting to cultivate athlete's foot. I've also read on coolrunning.com about how runner's feet are usually really gross - black toenails, etc... because they are hard on their feet and they sweat a lot, and are very warm thereby becoming a perfect media for fungus and bacteria to grow.

However there is a very easy and cheap way to fix this!! I know you'll think I'm nuts but this honestly works, read about it somewhere online, and have been doing it for about 8 months now. Take a cheap spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar. Keep it by your shower. When you get out of the shower and towel dry your feet then spray them with the vinegar - top of toes and bottom of foot. Let it air dry.

Vinegar is very acidic, and bacteria and fungus can't live in it. This will actually heal the thick yellow toenails that you can sometimes get - it takes 4 or 5 months for the toenail to grow out, but it works, that's why I started using it. no more thick yellow toenails - nice clean normal toenails.

Your feet won't smell either. :) hee hee. It seems nuts, but it's part of my daily routine and it works.
  • nicolee516
    Options
    aeswan wrote:

I don't wanna gross you out, but it could be bacteria or fungus - you might be starting to cultivate athlete's foot. I've also read on coolrunning.com about how runner's feet are usually really gross - black toenails, etc... because they are hard on their feet and they sweat a lot, and are very warm thereby becoming a perfect media for fungus and bacteria to grow.

However there is a very easy and cheap way to fix this!! I know you'll think I'm nuts but this honestly works, read about it somewhere online, and have been doing it for about 8 months now. Take a cheap spray bottle and fill it with white vinegar. Keep it by your shower. When you get out of the shower and towel dry your feet then spray them with the vinegar - top of toes and bottom of foot. Let it air dry.

Vinegar is very acidic, and bacteria and fungus can't live in it. This will actually heal the thick yellow toenails that you can sometimes get - it takes 4 or 5 months for the toenail to grow out, but it works, that's why I started using it. no more thick yellow toenails - nice clean normal toenails.

Your feet won't smell either. :) hee hee. It seems nuts, but it's part of my daily routine and it works.
    what a great idea with the vinegar! I don't have problmeswith it, but my husband does! Thanks!:bigsmile:
  • nicolee516
    Options
    The rain missed me!!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :love: I gotta get new running sneakers though...man are they killing me!:sad:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Well, this morning was COLD and POURING. Ran tonight instead. Day 1 of Week 4 of C25K. Felt good. It was clear and cold (35F). Only going to get colder though. :huh: