Carbs + Fat = FAT!!

Options

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Except for the fact that eating at a calorie deficit eliminates the chance of ANYTHING being permanently stored.

Depends though. If our bodies are not going to be able to actively use it, it's going to get stored as fat.

Eating at a deficit means your body has to pull elsewhere for fuel (ideally your fat stores) at the time it is needed.

Well did you know that we burn most of our calories on those times that we are sleeping & not during our workout? That is what you call BMR or meaning the amount of calories we burn when we are in coma or lying down 24 hours. Our body does need calories to keep our hearts beating, our brains functioning, tissue repair etc. while we are sleeping so there goes your theory.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm new here, so maybe there's something I'm missing, but these responses sound rather mean!

I would say most people replying here are not trying to be mean. I know I'm not. It's just that you see a post like this every other day at a minimum and it's complete rubbish as far as facts. With so much good information on MFP and available in general with little searching effort needed, it gets really old seeing this stuff show up constantly.

Ah, I see. So what I was missing is that this is an ongoing thing. That makes a little more sense. I will, however, be very careful of what I say on here! :-)
    More like just dont go around claiming you know something and teach other people willy nilly when you have absolutely no clue on the manner. If you are asking a question, thats usually fine :p
  • belinus
    belinus Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit would mean that over the course of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. This makes the acute process of trying to "burn off that food you ate" meaningless.

If your body has no immediate need for glucose and your muscles' glycogen stores are full, where are those carbs going to go? Right into fat cells.

The rule about when to lessen carbs is tied to activity level. If you are just going to sit down and watch a movie tonight, you are not going to want to eat a high number of carbs. If you are going to go to the gym and workout or go out for a run, of course you want carbs because you just depleted glycogen stores and you need to refill them.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Eating at a deficit would mean that over the course of time, fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. This makes the acute process of trying to "burn off that food you ate" meaningless.

If your body has no immediate need for glucose and your muscles' glycogen stores are full, where are those carbs going to go? Right into fat cells.

Why do you believe this is important if you're in a calorie deficit? When you are in between meals you will be oxidizing that fat. It is irrelevant.

Are you familiar with this:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
    ?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

Why do you believe this is important if you're in a calorie deficit? When you are in between meals you will be oxidizing that fat. It is irrelevant.

?

^Interesting Article thanks SS
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm new here, so maybe there's something I'm missing, but these responses sound rather mean!

I would say most people replying here are not trying to be mean. I know I'm not. It's just that you see a post like this every other day at a minimum and it's complete rubbish as far as facts. With so much good information on MFP and available in general with little searching effort needed, it gets really old seeing this stuff show up constantly.

Ah, I see. So what I was missing is that this is an ongoing thing. That makes a little more sense. I will, however, be very careful of what I say on here! :-)
    More like just dont go around claiming you know something and teach other people willy nilly when you have absolutely no clue on the manner. If you are asking a question, thats usually fine :p

Thanks! And thanks to everyone else who responded to me! From my limited viewpoint, it just looked like everyone (and I use that term loosely) was jumping all over the guy for being wrong. But it seems I may have been the one that was wrong. Oh well, wouldn't be the first time! Slinks back to anonymous corner.
  • Barbellerella
    Options
    FYI~ a lot of people keep saying "guy"... The OP with the PINK helmet is a girl. Just Sayin'!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    FYI~ a lot of people keep saying "guy"... The OP with the PINK helmet is a girl. Just Sayin'!

I kept my lips pursed together several times. Glad someone said it ;) but since they are likely a troll who knows...it could be someone pretending to be a girl
  • belinus
    Options

?

This has nothing to do with insulin except its function to direct. It directs glucose and glycogen to go where it is needed. If no glucose is needed by the body at that moment and the glycogen stores are full, it has to go somewhere. It will not just sit there in your blood stream for hours on end.

And actually at night you're engaging in catabolism which means your muscles are being broken down which is why you should be eating protein at night.
  • jtakingcareofherself
    jtakingcareofherself Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    First person to post a reference to a peer-reviewed scientific journal article wins!
    Any takers?
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    Eh...never mind.
  • Barbellerella
    Options

I kept my lips pursed together several times. Glad someone said it ;) but since they are likely a troll who knows...it could be someone pretending to be a girl

LOL... I'm guessing NOT a troll, though. She says on her profile that she's in some club for "The Biggest Loser".... I figure they're just misguiding her!!
  • belinus
    Options
    First person to post a reference to a peer-reviewed scientific journal article wins!
    Any takers?

Problem with that is a) you have to pay for most of them so even if a link was posted folks would not be able to see it and b) Google returns too many forum results first :(
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    So, if I eat a lard sandwich, I'll get fat? Carbs + Lard = fat right?
  • jtakingcareofherself
    jtakingcareofherself Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Any takers?

Problem with that is a) you have to pay for most of them so even if a link was posted folks would not be able to see it and b) Google returns too many forum results first :(

My point exactly!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I just ate a big pile of spaghetti meatsauce and I'm going to bed soon. Am I gonna wake up fat?
  • Bleeeeeh
    Bleeeeeh Posts: 6
    Options
    Wasn't it Carbs + sugar = Fat. Thats the Atkins diet right there, or the idea that before refined carbs and sugars where around most people weren't as overweight? I assuming thats the basis of your argument, but most nutritionists say that as long as it's controlled you can have carbs and sugar and what not. Most people watch there carb intake, but sugar should be the larger concern. Sugar is addictive and causes health issues also. I'd prefer just to which my refined carbs for wholemeal, it's the sweet tooth that gets most of us...And my sources are a mixture of the Atkins, Body trim, "The Doctors", and really every other source Oprah, TV and google can tell you. We have a lot of shows on this because it's an issue, but it's up to us to actually read between the lines.
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    YES GUYS THIS IS 100% TRUE AFTER 6PM ALL CARBS AUTOMATICALLY TURN INTO FAT. It's okay to eat them at 5:59PM though. One second late and you're going to be a whale.. be careful!!111!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm not a doctor or do I have any type of data that proves it possible, but it could happen. We all have a biological clock and after years of lowering our activity level and going to bed around the same time, our body could have adapted to this process and automatically slow down our metabolism in the evenings thinking we are going to sleep soon and any carbs ingested the body will store as fat because it is used to us doing nothing but sleep soon. Our body does have the ability to adapt and evolve given enough time.
  • belinus
    Options
    I just ate a big pile of spaghetti meatsauce and I'm going to bed soon. Am I gonna wake up fat?

No. You won't "wake up fat".

If you were just active recently and your glycogen stores are depleted and/or your body needs glucose then those needs will be met first. After that into fat cells they go.
  • sunny_yogi
    sunny_yogi Posts: 19
    Options
    Well it is a fact about the after 6 pm eating, that is if you sleep within 4 hours.

Even dr Oz will tell you that one.

well if Dr. Oz said so.....