Almond vs Soy vs Cow Milk

Options
124»

Replies

• thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer a mixture of all three. I've never been a huge fan of cow milk, but I like it for eating with chocolate cake, as well as for things like making rice custard. I quite like the taste of soy milk though, and unsweetened vanilla almond is also very taste in my opinion. Unfortunately, both are more expensive than cow milk so making the switch isn't really possible for me. I basically buy almond milk when I can, and drink cow milk when I can't. I do think dairy might be making me break out though, so I'm working on cutting it out of my diet more. Still experimenting to see if that's true or just a coincidence though.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Almond milk all the way. I'm obsessed with it, it's the most delicious thing ever.

Edit: Specifically - Silk Unsweetened Original.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I have recently been wondering the same thing as Almond Milk is pretty tasty and has less calories. However, Almond milk only has 1g of protein vs Cow's Milk/Soy Milk at 7-8g protein. The other benefit to Cow's milk is the calcium. I am going to get some Almond Milk to use at times but think I will be sticking with my lactose free skim Cow's milk for the protein & calcium, I would rather get it from the source than taking a pill. Hope this helps!

Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze Vanilla Almond Milk actually has 50% more calcium than cows milk (45% RDA as opposed to 30%). The unsweetened almond milk has the same amount of calcium as cows milk, 30%.. At least this is the case for the brand I buy.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    1% due to our pediatrician. I like it for the calcium and protein. I prefer 2% or whole but I can't make my kids drink 1% while i drink the good stuff :)

Just curious, but unless your kids have an allergy or something, why wouldnt you give them 2% or whole? Milk fat is the BEST fat source for brain development! Just sayin....
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk in my cereal and coffee (just found out I like almonds too lol) and like a glass of 1% cow milk as part of my chocolate milk "recovery" drink...hehe. Love chocolate milk and it's a good excuse to include it in my diet...plus my kids need the milk and I was raised in a family that consumed a gallon of whole milk a day between the 5 of us...so I am a recovering milk addict lol.
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    1% due to our pediatrician. I like it for the calcium and protein. I prefer 2% or whole but I can't make my kids drink 1% while i drink the good stuff :)

Just curious, but unless your kids have an allergy or something, why wouldnt you give them 2% or whole? Milk fat is the BEST fat source for brain development! Just sayin....

AAP recommends 1% to skim for kids over the age of 4. They get plenty of fat from other sources, it shouldn't be an issue.
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options

AAP recommends 1% to skim for kids over the age of 4. They get plenty of fat from other sources, it shouldn't be an issue.

That is pure lunacy!!!!!!!!!!!!! They get plenty of fat from other sources?? Like cheeseburgers and fries?

Kids should drink WHOLE MILK for brain development alone!
  • callmeBAM
    callmeBAM Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't fancy cow milk, I think it is bad for health as cows nowadays are fed with medicinal drugs and antibiotic which bring more harm than goodness to the human beings.

That's why you buy organic.
  • jp329607
    jp329607 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar free vanilla coconut milk, or almond milk, or the Blue Diamond blend of the two. Yum! I drank soy for years but have been hearing bad things about its effects on the body lately, so...

If I do drink cow's milk, it is very rarely and I prefer Snowville Creamery Whole Milk, since I know where it's from, and if I am drinking real milk it's a treat and I want all the fat! :)
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    light vanilla soy milk. it have less calories, sugar and taste delicious
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer coconut and flax milk to any of those.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Skim milk for drinking alone, unsweetened vanilla almond milk for adding into coffee or shakes.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I alternate between coconut milk and unsweetened almond milk. I don't t use soy milk any more as I am hypothyroid and soy is not good for those of us with this condition! Have read conflicting info about soy for the general public--some swear by it and others say with all the chemicals and genetic modifications that you shouldn't touch the stuff.

i went off soy for about 3 months and never felt better - recently (last 3 weeks) i've been drinking it again and feel AWFUL, drained, and SOOOOOO bloated..... Im off it as of tomorrow!
  • trudefaith
    trudefaith Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk the best - I love the taste! blue diamond 40 cal unsweetened
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Almond milk is my low calorie choice. If I need carbs, rice milk or coconut milk. They all taste great.

I'm not into cow's milk, in general. Also not a fan of soy: estrogen + being a guy = not my first choice.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

That is pure lunacy!!!!!!!!!!!!! They get plenty of fat from other sources?? Like cheeseburgers and fries?

There is nothing wrong with a cheeseburger and fries for kids now and then. But healthy kids get plenty of fat from peanut butter, nuts, cheese, healthy fats their parents use to prepare meals, etc.

Whole milk is only recommended for very young children. After age 4-5 most pediatricians recommend switching to skim or 1%.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Not a soy fan because of GMOs.

I don't live in a heavy populated area, but the stores here offer 3 or 4 brands of soy milk. All are organic, which means no GMO. I think the GMO soy is mostly used for oil and food additives. I've never seen non-organic tofu, edamame or soy milk.
  • carlosdon
    carlosdon Posts: 125
    Options
    my flatmates drink whole milk and always have done. My flatmates are retarded idiots, what does that say?
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Didn't see this particluar brand in the sting of replies but I've tried several of the milks you mentioned. I really like almond milk but it's got quite a few calories (or at least the variety that I bought). I've been digging on the Smart Balance milk lately. I'm normally a skim milk drinker and this has a richer taste. I'm not sure about all of the health claims, I just think its really creamy. Food for thought.

This is what the website says:

"100% lactose-free, fat free milk that’s easy to digest (1g total fat from Omega-3 oil blend)
    Tastes rich and creamy like 2%, without the saturated fat
    Excellent source of heart-healthy EPA/DHA Omega-3s (32 mg per serving, 20% of the 160mg daily value)
    20% more calcium than whole milk (345mg per serving versus 285mg per serving in whole milk)2
    20% more protein than whole milk (10g per serving versus 8g per serving in whole milk)2
    Vitamins A & D added
    Good source of potassium
    Ultra-pasteurized
    We pledge to use milk from cows not treated with the growth hormone rBST1
    BestLife™ Approved

1 The FDA has found no significant difference from milk derived from rBST-treated cows and those not treated.

2 Based on federal milk standards for whole milk. State standards and actual values may vary. "
  • wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Find me a pedi who recommends that. Seriously, I would love to know. I know MINE doesn't.

My kids have whole fat cheese, whole fat yogurt, my youngest can eat avocados by the handful, my oldest's favorite food is raw almonds. PLENTY of fat there, they don't need it from milk.