The real "cool kids"...

Options

Replies

• allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    JMHO, I think a cool kid is someone who is supportive and doesn't kick others while they are down. Knows the old saying of, "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". And remembers that they too were at the beginning at some point and we all have to start somewhere. Even if that start is slow.

I will go now and continue to lurk on the edges of a cruel and unfriendly place, minding my own business with my truely cool friends.

That's just it. If we don't say what you WANT to hear, we're "kicking others while they're down"....No, we're not. We're being honest. We're explaining something that should already be known. We're helping through something called "tough love"....or "suck it up support". I'm not going to lie and sugar coat things just because people can't handle the reality. If you don't want honest answers, don't ask the question.

But what I have seen is the "cool kids" making fun of people for asking ANY question. If someone is new here they don't know the question may have been asked before. Search button blah, blah, blah. Just let them ask. If you don't want to answer again then don't let someone else who really cares answer. Instead these boards have become a place of hostility where others don't want to come for fear of being bullied by the cool kids. Gee, I wonder what we are teaching our kids about tolerance???

I knew I would be flamed for my post. I don't care. Cuz frankly I don't care what any of you think of me. So I am not a "cool kid". Who cares about being part of your mean and snarky group. Id rather have real friends.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bully = the most overused buzz word in the English language right now.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    JMHO, I think a cool kid is someone who is supportive and doesn't kick others while they are down. Knows the old saying of, "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all". And remembers that they too were at the beginning at some point and we all have to start somewhere. Even if that start is slow.

I will go now and continue to lurk on the edges of a cruel and unfriendly place, minding my own business with my truely cool friends.

That's just it. If we don't say what you WANT to hear, we're "kicking others while they're down"....No, we're not. We're being honest. We're explaining something that should already be known. We're helping through something called "tough love"....or "suck it up support". I'm not going to lie and sugar coat things just because people can't handle the reality. If you don't want honest answers, don't ask the question.

But what I have seen is the "cool kids" making fun of people for asking ANY question. If someone is new here they don't know the question may have been asked before. Search button blah, blah, blah. Just let them ask. If you don't want to answer again then don't let someone else who really cares answer. Instead these boards have become a place of hostility where others don't want to come for fear of being bullied by the cool kids. Gee, I wonder what we are teaching our kids about tolerance???

I knew I would be flamed for my post. I don't care. Cuz frankly I don't care what any of you think of me. So I am not a "cool kid". Who cares about being part of your mean and snarky group. Id rather have real friends.
    You sure showed them.
  • cspong
    cspong Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    :D
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    errrr... has anyone read The Sneetches by our beloved Dr. Seuss? :wink:
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    for the win.
  • ElleOQuent
    ElleOQuent Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Yes, but do they like turtles?
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Remember what I posted about putting down your baggage?

I'm sorry you've seen some people you label as rude. Odds are they're probably really rude people. But do they fit the criteria listed in the first post? Most likely not. So you're taking one person you saw and using it as a label towards others. You're willingly distancing yourself from those who would help you because you refuse to listen if it's not worded in a way you're comfortable with.

Let down your walls and pay close attention to the good advice that people try to present. Or refuse because you only want to hear nice things. One way will get you results.
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Best thread ever!
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Knows the old saying of, "if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all

See the 10th item down ("tell it like it is"). It doesn't have to be "nice" to be true. Not saying anything at all in response to misinformation is a disservice to the community here.

Even more epicly right the second time. And Allyson, you're not being flamed. Claiming you're being flamed is precisely the dynamic that the "cool" folks are getting at. We didn't all agree with you, and now you're being flamed. Whatever. :noway:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Did you ever consider that maybe you only "think" you know who the "cool kids" are? No one ever named any names. Just offered a description. You refuted that description with your own description. Do you think maybe we are all talking about two entirely different groups of people?

Or maybe just maybe you could be a tad bit too sensitive to use the internet. Every type of personality here on this website can be found in the real world. Maybe you just need to accept that people aren't going to change just because you want them to, and stop fighting this battle against the world. You can't change people. You can only change yourself and how you react to people.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    Yes, but do they like turtles?
    I feel like I have one poking its head out.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plan their lives around their training and nutrition

I agree with every word you said... except for the piece quoted above. I don't think I need to plan my life around training and nutrition. It's part of my daily routine, but I plan my life around my responsibilities (job/managing the household/etc) and caring for the people I love.

I went through a phase where I planned my life around training and nutrition. Letting training and nutrition be my focal point morphed into exercise bulimia for me. I was a miserable person and made a lot of people around me miserable. I let my dedication to training and healthy food rule every moment of every day and ended up missing out on a lot of joy. It wasn't healthy.

Life is too short to let diet and exercise rule everything!

Point well taken. We don't all have to be fitness obsessed. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with being fitness obsessed, so long as it doesn't turn harmful (which it looks like it did for, unfortunately, but I'm glad to hear you've come back from it).

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying. Other aspects of life can take the top priority, so long as fitness and nutrition don't fall by the wayside.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    How could anyone have ANYTHING negative to say about this post.

It's just list of how to recognize awesome people.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options
    How could anyone have ANYTHING negative to say about this post.

It's just list of how to recognize awesome people.
    You have a pretty awesome profile pic.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Did you ever consider that maybe you only "think" you know who the "cool kids" are? No one ever named any names. Just offered a description. You refuted that description with your own description. Do you think maybe we are all talking about two entirely different groups of people?

You beat me to it. I was just about to say this. The really "cool kids" know how to be snarky, sarcastic, and tell it like it is without being mean. The "mean kids" are the ones who do with just for the sake of being mean and without backing it up with advice to help the OP. There's a difference.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

But.. but you weren't flamed... The reply was quite polite and succinct. I'm gonna tell a little story now.. gather 'round children (but not really children, since they aren't allowed here)...

I had been a member of MFP for about two weeks and had started visiting the forums. Someone asked a question about women lifting weights and I replied with a bit of knowledge I had carried with me for years - that the way to 'tone' your muscles was to lift low weight at high reps. A "cool kid" corrected me, stating that I had given misinformation, that this belief was long-known to be incorrect, and that I should search for more information about lifting heavy.

The reply wasn't made in a necessarily kind way, there was no :flowerforyou: to let me know they were being suuuper nice and polite. They were stating facts to try to dispel the MASSIVE INFLUX of BAD information we read in the forums every day. I'm a big girl, and can handle that, and decided to search out more information. Learned a lot a long the way. And never once thought someone was being cruel or disrespectful. *I was passing out bad information. If anyone deserves to be told hard and fast that they're wrong, it's someone that is doing something wrong.*
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Plan their lives around their training and nutrition

I agree with every word you said... except for the piece quoted above. I don't think I need to plan my life around training and nutrition. It's part of my daily routine, but I plan my life around my responsibilities (job/managing the household/etc) and caring for the people I love.

I went through a phase where I planned my life around training and nutrition. Letting training and nutrition be my focal point morphed into exercise bulimia for me. I was a miserable person and made a lot of people around me miserable. I let my dedication to training and healthy food rule every moment of every day and ended up missing out on a lot of joy. It wasn't healthy.

Life is too short to let diet and exercise rule everything!

Point well taken. We don't all have to be fitness obsessed. I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with being fitness obsessed, so long as it doesn't turn harmful (which it looks like it did for, unfortunately, but I'm glad to hear you've come back from it).

I agree with the spirit of what you're saying. Other aspects of life can take the top priority, so long as fitness and nutrition don't fall by the wayside.

I consider nutrition and training to be part of my responsibilities.

Not everyone has a family or children or others to take care of. Some of us just have ourselves and... well... consider fitness and nutrition to be part of taking care of ourselves. Just like laundry, bills and sleep.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    Options

You beat me to it. I was just about to say this. The really "cool kids" know how to be snarky, sarcastic, and tell it like it is without being mean. The "mean kids" are the ones who do with just for the sake of being mean and without backing it up with advice to help the OP. There's a difference.
    The coolest kids don't call themselves 'cool' or 'kids'.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I can't help but feel like anyone who's getting butt hurt about this thread had it hit a little close to home for them... Stop being sad and be awesome instead.