Fruit - to eat or not to eat?

Options

Replies

• Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The recommendation is 4-5 servings of fruit AND vegetables. A combination. Not just of fruit. 5 servings of fruit a day is a little much. Yes it is good for you but so is a lot of foods. Too much of anything is not.

Who says? "Healthy Eating Guidelines" -- you mean myplate.gov?

I'm not sure why you'd listen to any nutrition advice the government shells out. They don't really want you to base your diet on produce, because there's no money in produce. And "too much of anything" -- so should I cap my vegetables at three servings per day? Watch out for those green veggies?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The recommendation is 4-5 servings of fruit AND vegetables. A combination. Not just of fruit. 5 servings of fruit a day is a little much. Yes it is good for you but so is a lot of foods. Too much of anything is not.

Who says? "Healthy Eating Guidelines" -- you mean myplate.gov?

I'm not sure why you'd listen to any nutrition advice the government shells out. They don't really want you to base your diet on produce, because there's no money in produce. And "too much of anything" -- so should I cap my vegetables at three servings per day? Watch out for those green veggies?

Quite true. More recent data indicates you want more than 5 servings of fruits and veggies per day. Especially more vegetables.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    IF IT GROWS FROM THE GROUND EAT IT!!!!! ARE WE REALLY ASKING IF EATING FRUIT IS BAD?? PEOPLE WE NEED SOME SUGAR IN OUR DIETS!! BETTER TO GET IT FROM A PEACH THAN FROM A CANDY BAR!
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Genuine question: why are bananas to be avoided?

I eat fruit, I have a banana with yoghurt for breakfast to give me a much needed energy boost. Fruit is also a good source of fibre (according to my doctor).
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes too much of anything. Good or bad. You can gain weight if you eat veggies in excess too. Granted you have to eat an *kitten* load of them every day but it can happen. I'm not saying you need to put a "cap" on your veggies. Obviously they are better for you than anything else but you should still not go crazy with them. But because of the amount of carbs and sugars in fruit you should be careful of the amount you eat. It's just common sense. Basing my information on the nutritional food pyramids I have been taught and from weight watchers and pretty much every nutritionist and trainer I have talked to. I'm not saying fruits are bad for you at all and I hope that's not what you are getting from my post. The OP should not be worried in the least about her fruit intake. I just don't want people to think that it's ok to consume an endless amount of fruit.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    IF IT GROWS FROM THE GROUND EAT IT!!!!! ARE WE REALLY ASKING IF EATING FRUIT IS BAD?? PEOPLE WE NEED SOME SUGAR IN OUR DIETS!! BETTER TO GET IT FROM A PEACH THAN FROM A CANDY BAR!

actually our body does not know or care whether the sugar came from fruit or a candy bar. sugar is sugar. However, fruit has more fiber and other beneficial nutrients that the candy bar does not have, so fruit is a better choice overall. But the idea that since the sugar is from fruit makes it ok to eat a bunch of it doesnt make any sense. If you dont care about the sugar, eat as much as you want. If you do care, keep your amount of fruit at a moderate level.
  • Rilke
    Options
    Yes too much of anything. Good or bad. You can gain weight if you eat veggies in excess too. Granted you have to eat an *kitten* load of them every day but it can happen. I'm not saying you need to put a "cap" on your veggies. Obviously they are better for you than anything else but you should still not go crazy with them. But because of the amount of carbs and sugars in fruit you should be careful of the amount you eat. It's just common sense. Basing my information on the nutritional food pyramids I have been taught and from weight watchers and pretty much every nutritionist and trainer I have talked to. I'm not saying fruits are bad for you at all and I hope that's not what you are getting from my post. The OP should not be worried in the least about her fruit intake. I just don't want people to think that it's ok to consume an endless amount of fruit.

The food pyramid, and any nutritionist who bases advice on it, is, to be blunt, full of crap. It still recommends low fat dairy and processed cheese products and refined vegetable oils. There is no mention or emphasis on healthy fats. There is no mention of vitamins or nutrients or fiber.

If you believe it's in your best interest to eat what industrial agriculture wants you to eat, then by all means, stick to the pyramid / plate / whatever. If you believe it's in your best interest to eat a truly healthful and beneficial diet, start doing your own research.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Actually here is the list of Healthy Guidlines that Weight Watchers provided for us when I was doing it.

1) 5 servings of fruits and veggies (9 if you weigh more than 350 lbs) so you're sure you're getting enough fiber and all other vitamins and minerals found in plants

2) 1-2 servings of lean proteins to stay satisfied and to obtain necessary amino acids, iron, zinc and other nutrients

3) 2 servings of non-fat and low-fat dairy (3 if you're a nursing mom, a teenager, over 50 or weigh more than 250 lbs) for calcium, vitamin D, zinc, phosphorous and a raft of other essential viatamins and minerals.

4) Select whole grains whenever possible over refined white grains as they're rich with nutrients, including fiber.

5) 6 nonalcoholic beverages a day

6) 2 teaspons per day of healthy oils like olive, canola, safflower or flaxseed so that you get vitamin E and essential fatty acids

7) take a multivitamin each day

8) Get at least 30 minutes of activity a day most days of the week

9) Watch your intake of added sugar and sodium and alcoholic beverages.

I don't know where you're anger stems from. Even if I don't always follow these guidelines, I know what is healthy and what is not. If I choose to eat processed food I will. For me eating a Paleo Diet or completely non-processed diet is not feasible when you work full time and have to raise a family. You do the best you can. If that works for you or whoever, that's fine. But no one should be judged because they don't. We don't know anyone elses lifestyle or family or financial situations. And I will stand by my statement that too much of anything whether it is healthy or not is not good for you. You don't have to agree. It's my opinion.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I did not get to my starting weight because I ate too many strawberries, I promise you that.

Just count the calories. If it fits in your daily budget, and you want it, eat it.

I have 2 - 3 servings of fruit on most days.
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    fruit rules eat it

very filling

low cal

high fiber

good poopies
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    2 fruits a day is OK. eat more veggies though. You can overload on nartural sugars.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit with every meal. And NO it does not hinder me one bit.
    A red flag for me is any advice or program that extremely limits or eliminates fruits or veggies, lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts or whole grain rice or breads.
    Such programs are bogus.
    And they're usually pushed by those scammers selling some shake you're supposed to drink.
    Absurd!
    Enjoy your fruit, and ignore anybody who'd tell you to abstain. Just eat as close to MFP goal as you can each day, and all will be well.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fruit.

I love this line.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fruit.
    Can we stop saying this? I don't know anyone who got fat from eating any one single food. This is meaningless.

Fruit is not a single food; and I don't know anyone who got fat from eating fresh fruit either. Dried fruit, chocolate covered fruit, sure, but not fresh fruit.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    actually our body does not know or care whether the sugar came from fruit or a candy bar. sugar is sugar.

Not entirely true. Fructose (sugar from fruit) and Sucrose (white sugar, usually in candy bars) do have some differences, including the insulin response in our body.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/311336-fructose-vs-sucrose/
  • Rilke
    Options
    Actually here is the list of Healthy Guidlines that Weight Watchers provided for us when I was doing it.

1) 5 servings of fruits and veggies (9 if you weigh more than 350 lbs) so you're sure you're getting enough fiber and all other vitamins and minerals found in plants

2) 1-2 servings of lean proteins to stay satisfied and to obtain necessary amino acids, iron, zinc and other nutrients

3) 2 servings of non-fat and low-fat dairy (3 if you're a nursing mom, a teenager, over 50 or weigh more than 250 lbs) for calcium, vitamin D, zinc, phosphorous and a raft of other essential viatamins and minerals.

4) Select whole grains whenever possible over refined white grains as they're rich with nutrients, including fiber.

5) 6 nonalcoholic beverages a day

6) 2 teaspons per day of healthy oils like olive, canola, safflower or flaxseed so that you get vitamin E and essential fatty acids

7) take a multivitamin each day

8) Get at least 30 minutes of activity a day most days of the week

9) Watch your intake of added sugar and sodium and alcoholic beverages.

I don't know where you're anger stems from. Even if I don't always follow these guidelines, I know what is healthy and what is not. If I choose to eat processed food I will. For me eating a Paleo Diet or completely non-processed diet is not feasible when you work full time and have to raise a family. You do the best you can. If that works for you or whoever, that's fine. But no one should be judged because they don't. We don't know anyone elses lifestyle or family or financial situations. And I will stand by my statement that too much of anything whether it is healthy or not is not good for you. You don't have to agree. It's my opinion.

No anger here. It's utterly your choice whether you choose to swallow the advice the government and Weight Watchers endorses, or you choose to make an informed decision based on independent research. It's when people start spreading misinformation to others that I will step in and disagree.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Eating fruit shouldn't harm weight loss at all. Fruit has sucrose, yes, and that's okay. The great thing ABOUT fruit is that while it has sugar, it also is loaded with fiber, which is great for you! I try to balance my sugar intake with my fiber intake so that they are equal or I'm a bit heavy on the fiber side. Fruit has so many nutritional benefits, it hardly makes sense to completely cut it from your diet unless you need to severely restrict your sugar intake for medical reasons such as diabetes.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    For me, proteins and fats make up the bulk of my food, along with vegetables, and extremely limited whole grains and fruits. And the fruits I eat are the lowest sugar varieties. No tropical fruits, such as oranges and tangerines. When I know I'm going to work out long, like a7-8 mile walk, I may eat a banana, but never any other time. I am always way under on my sugar and carbs and way over on my protein and fat and it works great for me, especially since I"m not constantly hungry like I was on the low fat high carb diet that still seems to be hanging on despite being proven to be less than ideal in most cases.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit each day. And the newest dietary recommendations are for at least 9 servings (4 1/2 cups) of fruits and vegetables every day.
  • LadyB05
    LadyB05 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit. I eat strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, red grapes, cantelope and the occasional banana. I've lost 20 pounds since March 19th. I've lost 10.5 inches. I eat fruit.

I'm with ya! =)