Disgusting much?

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Most people that will eat that stuff don't eat it just once a year at the fair.

How do you know? Have you done studies?

Look - I've never had a deep fried candy bar or any other fair novelty... I became obese because I drank too much, ate too large of portions, and sat on my *kitten* too much. It had nothing to do with what McDonald's was selling, either... the majority of my weight was gained eating wholesome, natural foods that I mostly grew myself. It was the excess of calories in my salad with grilled chicken, and my enormous turkey sandwiches, and the fabulous cheesecake I make from scratch, and all of those frittatas I made for breakfast, and the roast with red potatoes and carrots.... I could go on .... these foods, in excess of my caloric needs are the ones that made me fat. Not fried Fruit Loops.

I said most. You're one person. Clearly you wouldn't fall into the category of "most". My comment was that most people who would eat deep fried stuff at the fair (whatever it is) would most likely eat it all year round.

You still haven't explained where your "most" figure comes from. This is your opinion, not a fact.
  • gmarriottfccla
    Options
    Looks like I'm disgusting, because I wanted to try it. I have self control and can walk away from things after one bite. You can eat anything in moderation and still lose weight. So next time when you post, think about it first. 'Cause there are going to be some people who agree, but a lot more that are offended because you just called them disgusting. And of course, the only reason they're fat is because they eat too much fried food. Get your **** together.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Too fun. Toss something out there, and sit back and watch the fireworks. Betther than 4th of July, and free to boot.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    The obesity problem is not because of novelty food that's eaten once a year at a fair.

Thank you, Captain Obvious. I was talking about the deep frying - ANYTHING - part. Not the fact that a person can buy it at the fair once a year when it moves through town.

Really? I love eating the things at the fair...deep fried snickers, twinkies, oreos, reeses. I've even done them at home.

Does that mean that I'm obese because of that?

Or do you think I'm obese because I had dessert after every single meal. Soda with every single meal. And sugary coffee drinks every morning? Could it be because every night after dinner I'd sit on the couch and snack on candy? Could it be that I spent 90% of my free time on the couch?

Nope...it must be the 2-3 times per year that I eat foods that aren't normally deep fried.

All of the above? You mentioned that you've deep fried that stuff at home. So, I'm guessing you ate it mre than 2-3 times a year?

I'm pretty sure I didn't say it was *THE* reason for obesity. But, it's obviously a contributing factor. Deep fried food doesn't just exist at the fair. Fast food chains everywhere would shut down if people stopped eating fried foods.

We have 2 fairs...I eat it once at each one. I've also done it at home...one time. And it was wonderful.

So yes 2-3 times is the actual number.

The point is it's not the food we're eating thats making us obese...it's the lack of self control. If I ate this stuff 2-3 times per year but didn't do any of the other things I listed above...I'd be a normal weight.
  • sheldor5
    sheldor5 Posts: 6
    Options
    so much anger in this thread:explode:
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    wahhh.....I'm doomed. I read that article and thought it sounded pretty good. :sad:
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Yea we've got that here in US too. I saw on TV the other week a restaurant that will deep fry ANYTHING. Pizza. Oreos. Cola. Pickles. It's a travesty.

MMMMM fried pickles... must talk hubby into going to Hooters
  • nill4me
    Options
    You are clearly just making stuff up and spewing your opinion and not fact. I highly doubt MOST people eat this stuff more than once a year if EVER

Really? No KFC? No Fries? No Chicken Sandwich or nugget McMush?

The average family eats out 4-5 times per week. Tell me they are all going to Salad World.
  • emzmc
    emzmc Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hahahaha what you worried about? In Scotland you can get deep fried mars and snickers bars

In parts of England you can get battered deep fried pizza.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    You haven't lived until you've tried a deep fried oreo.

fried-oreo-macro.jpg
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't think the gov't should tell me if I can or not, if I want to eat it, I will, we all know what's good and bad for us right?
  • nill4me
    Options
    You are clearly just making stuff up and spewing your opinion and not fact. I highly doubt MOST people eat this stuff more than once a year if EVER

Really? No KFC? No Fries? No Chicken Sandwich or nugget McMush?

The average family eats out 4-5 times per week. Tell me they are all going to Salad World.
    And if they ARE going to Salad World....I'll bet you 100.00 freaking dollars that the kids are eating ranch dressing...lol
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Watch any cooking show on the Food Netwok and that's what tbey'll tell you. Can you make things taste nomtastic using seasonings and whatnot? Of course, that's how I cook most of the time, but sometimes, the savory goodness of fat is crucial to a recipe. We need fat to live...just a thought.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    How about buying our kids gaming systems and smart phones at an age in which they should be coloring pictures and going outside to play - Yes I said it....OUTSIDE.
    Coloring is now aerobic exercise? I never knew.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Mm all this talk about fried is making me want a blooming onion mmmmmm
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Watch any cooking show on the Food Netwok and that's what tbey'll tell you. Can you make things taste nomtastic using seasonings and whatnot? Of course, that's how I cook most of the time, but sometimes, the savory goodness of fat is crucial to a recipe. We need fat to live...just a thought.

I'm a food network junkie and cooking is my hobby...but I don't subscribe to the fat=flavor BS....

Yes fat=flavor...so does brining your meat...does that mean its necessary? No of course not...you can still make delicious meals without brining.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a post-stalker, I agree with everything Misskortney has written.

Take some responsibility for your own actions and don't blame the vendors. We all have the freedom to eat what we want. You don't have to eat it. I eat "bad" foods on occasion and am not obese and also know people who are not obese that eat them, too. I didn't gain weight because someone forced a fried twinkie into my mouth. I gained weight from not practicing portion control and sitting my *kitten* on the couch.
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding? I wait for the fair. It's the only time I let myself have that kind of crap,......because it's the FAIR!! Deep fried oreos, uffda tacos, cotton candy, those chili dogs that may contain some sort of disease after three days of sitting in a warming vat, but who cares, you'll eat em slathered in relish and onions anyway? Oh...and the beer gardens, yes yes. Does anyone over 18 go to the county fairs for the rides? ITS THE FOOD!! lol. I'm exagerating a bit here, but come on. There's supposed to be nasty crap to eat/drink at the fair, it's all part of the experience. Lighten up and enjoy it.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Mm all this talk about fried is making me want a blooming onion mmmmmm

Made me want fried cereal...

and twinkies...
    and snickers...
    and oreos...
    and reeses...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    How about buying our kids gaming systems and smart phones at an age in which they should be coloring pictures and going outside to play - Yes I said it....OUTSIDE.
    Coloring is now aerobic exercise? I never knew.

It is if you have a big enough coloring book :angry: