Now they are going to ban free refills on drinks?

Options

Replies

• lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    People kill themselves with over the counter drugs. Better get rid of those too.

K...so what if McDonald's was giving out free OTC drugs with every purchase?

Thats there choice...and guess what...thanks to are supposed freedom in this country, you have a choice not to buy it.

Free markets will also even that kind of crap out. If someone wants it they will buy it, if they dont, they wont.

Lmao...so you'd be cool with McD's giving out free cough syrup?

Ya why? I got a free sample of deodorant the last time I bought a magazine...whats the difference? If McDonalds wants to waste money on that, that's there business...not the governments.

Hmmm...

Use too much deoderant = You smell like a douche.

Use too much cough syrup = You end up high or in the hospital.

Maybe I am retarded, and like to eat deodorant = End up in the hospital...whats the difference?

If you are into eating deoderant I'm guessing you shouldn't be allowed in public anyway.

If your into using too much cough syrup you shouldnt be allowed in public anways.

You mean like a teenage kid looking to get high? Agreed...they should be at home playing videogames and being generally awkward. But they aren't. And if it was your teenage kid getting high off cough syrup that he got from McD's I'd bet you'd be singing a different tune.

You mean like a teenage kid looking to kill themselves? Agreed...they should be at home playing video games and being generally awkward. But they weren't. And if your teenage kid was the one killing themselves by eating deodorant that he got from a supermarket I'd bet you'd be singing a different tune.

You can flip that argument on anything. So we should just band everything, ban all freedom and have the government regulate everything.

Why would I blame the supermarket if my teenage kid ate deoderant? Deoderant is not intended to be taken orally...it's intended to be applied to your skin. Something like cough syrup however is intended to be taken orally and is easy to take a dose that is far over the recommended amount.
  • Rennae9
    Rennae9 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Are the American people so stupid they can't figure out drinking a ton of cola is bad for their health? I am saddened that the government thinks it needs to step in so we don't become even more obese as a nation. Pathetic. I am a libertarian all the way. The less government pokes their noses in my business the better. I am competent enough to lose weight without the government controlling what I can and can't consume.

I know while traveling abroad getting free refills is unheard of. I get it. But we are a nation that is accustomed to "free refills". I get free coke zero refills which I am happy about. I just don't like any government entity telling private business what they can and can't sell. Geez.

Sorry for ranting but this irks me....:explode:
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Hmmm this ban has Michelle Obama written all over it

It's a proposal in it's infancy stage from the mayor of Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is not a ban nor has anything to do with Michelle Obama of all people O.O There can be legitimate criticisms of initiatives like these but come on now, that's reaching pretty far.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I don't know how I feel about this ban. It would be interesting to see some numbers on how much obsesity actually cost this country and the insurance companies.
  • Jess81620
    Jess81620 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    :grumble: Hmmm this ban has Michelle Obama written all over it

It's a proposal in it's infancy stage from the mayor of Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is not a ban or has anything to do with Michelle Obama of all people O.O

Thank you I was trying to figure out how it went from city government to Michelle Obama.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    People kill themselves with over the counter drugs. Better get rid of those too.

Thats there choice...and guess what...thanks to are supposed freedom in this country, you have a choice not to buy it.

Free markets will also even that kind of crap out. If someone wants it they will buy it, if they dont, they wont.

Ya why? I got a free sample of deodorant the last time I bought a magazine...whats the difference? If McDonalds wants to waste money on that, that's there business...not the governments.

Hmmm...

Maybe I am retarded, and like to eat deodorant = End up in the hospital...whats the difference?

If you are into eating deoderant I'm guessing you shouldn't be allowed in public anyway.

If your into using too much cough syrup you shouldnt be allowed in public anways.

You mean like a teenage kid looking to get high? Agreed...they should be at home playing videogames and being generally awkward. But they aren't. And if it was your teenage kid getting high off cough syrup that he got from McD's I'd bet you'd be singing a different tune.

You mean like a teenage kid looking to kill themselves? Agreed...they should be at home playing video games and being generally awkward. But they weren't. And if your teenage kid was the one killing themselves by eating deodorant that he got from a supermarket I'd bet you'd be singing a different tune.

You can flip that argument on anything. So we should just band everything, ban all freedom and have the government regulate everything.

Why would I blame the supermarket if my teenage kid ate deoderant? Deoderant is not intended to be taken orally...it's intended to be applied to your skin. Something like cough syrup however is intended to be taken orally and is easy to take a dose that is far over the recommended amount.

If your an idiot and cant follow directions.

But maybe we need the government to regulate cough syrup more...maybe they should force it to be sold in individual doses. But you have to pay an extra 100 bucks every time so someone from the government can administer it to you

That way you would NEVER overdose!

Man sounds great.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    So just because you want something, it's supposed to be handed to you? Would you hand a kid his 5th piece of candy just because he "wants" it? Certainly would not "need" it.
    No, that's what parents are SUPPOSED to be for. It's not the government's job.

So obviously the government felt the need to act like a parent and step in to regulate our intake just like a parent because people were unable to do it themselves. This is getting kinda lame, arguing over refills when there are better debates out there like Gun Rights and Abortion to deal with. Here ya go Europe and the rest of the world--American Citizens at their very best! :frown:
  • lukeout007
    Options

Hmmm...

If your an idiot and cant follow directions.

But maybe we need the government to regulate cough syrup more...maybe they should force it to be sold in individual doses. But you have to pay an extra 100 bucks every time so someone from the government can administer it to you

That way you would NEVER overdose!

Man sounds great.

I like how you just put words in my mouth that had nothing to do with what I was saying. It's always cool to do that...
  • Nightmaretb
    Nightmaretb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is funny that people want to legislate a specific view of "morality" (e.g., gay rights, birth control, etc.) but man, don't mess with their Little Debbies or HFCS! Obesity is an epidemic and it costs money. We all pay for it.
  • lukeout007
    Options
    It is funny that people want to legislate a specific view of "morality" (e.g., gay rights, birth control, etc.) but man, don't mess with their Little Debbies or HFCS! Obesity is an epidemic and it costs money. We all pay for it.

Exactly.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Also using the excuse of "If it was your child you would sing a different tune" Its just dancing in the blood of innocents to push an agenda.

Same thing at all these shooting tragedy's. Politicians come flying out like crazy to dance in peoples blood and push there "good for you regulations"
  • MelMena
    MelMena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

Go to Cuba, they will let you drink as much as you want if you have the pesos for it.
  • flabbytofabby
    Options

Completely agree. It's mostly only in Northern American that you can get free refills. All of Europe you pay for what you drink. The government is only trying to take steps to encourage healthier lifestyles but you can still drink your litres of coke if you like. Let's not forget it's not a fundamental human right to get free soda!

The point the OP is trying to make is that the government has no right to tell me how much I can drink if the restaurant is willing to offer. AND the restaurant should offer free refills when we are paying $2-2.50 per sitting and it costs them an avg of $0.06 per glass .... ok off my soapbox !

$2.50 is cheap.. and its called profit margins, if you have an iphone they cost about £10 to make, do you demand free them aswell?
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Telling us what/how much we can drink is just one tiny step toward our country becoming a communist nation....

Go to Cuba, they will let you drink as much as you want if you have the pesos for it.

I think she meant Fascism...or Obamaism or Romneyism...something like that.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Govt. pays for a huge amount of the healthcare bill in this country. Is Govt. not allowed to implment policies that might reduce that healthcare bill? That's the issue here.

This isn't about fatty's desire to drink free soda. It's about this national economy becoming burdened by healthcare costs.

Get out of your tiny woe is me mindframe and look a little broader.

Do you all want to fork over $20,000 per year to pay for your parents/grandparents health insuracne?? I suspect not. If you want a "libertarian" society, then plan on paying out of pocket for Dad's triple bypass or his diabetic foot amputation. Good luck with that, see you in bankruptcy court.
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Completely agree. It's mostly only in Northern American that you can get free refills. All of Europe you pay for what you drink. The government is only trying to take steps to encourage healthier lifestyles but you can still drink your litres of coke if you like. Let's not forget it's not a fundamental human right to get free soda!

The point the OP is trying to make is that the government has no right to tell me how much I can drink if the restaurant is willing to offer. AND the restaurant should offer free refills when we are paying $2-2.50 per sitting and it costs them an avg of $0.06 per glass .... ok off my soapbox !

$2.50 is cheap.. and its called profit margins, if you have an iphone they cost about £10 to make, do you demand free them aswell?

This is what everyone is failing to realize.

If suddenly McDonalds said "We are changing store policy and are charging for refills" so be it.

If suddenly McDonalds said "We are changing store policy, are charging for refills, and 90% is tax that is going to the government" Thats what people have a problem with.

Business are in business to make money. They set policies based on that. Government should stay they hell out of Capitilsm (Although this country went the way of Corporatism and Statism a long while back)
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Simply put, I think the government is overstepping.
  • lukeout007
    Options

Exactly...people don't think about the other expenses companies have to deal with beside the actual manufacturing material cost. Yes it's $.06 worth of cola...but they also have to pay the staff, pay for the cups, and pay for other things they may not have as big of a profit margin on.
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Yep!

But lets all put our heads back in the sand and pretend fat is healthy.
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Govt. pays for a huge amount of the healthcare bill in this country. Is Govt. not allowed to implment policies that might reduce that healthcare bill? That's the issue here.

This isn't about fatty's desire to drink free soda. It's about this national economy becoming burdened by healthcare costs.

Get out of your tiny woe is me mindframe and look a little broader.

Do you all want to fork over $20,000 per year to pay for your parents/grandparents health insuracne?? I suspect not. If you want a "libertarian" society, then plan on paying out of pocket for Dad's triple bypass or his diabetic foot amputation. Good luck with that, see you in bankruptcy court.

You do realize the government contributes to the outrageous costs of health care right? The ridiculous amount of regulations and taxes they place on the industry drive up costs.

Also, do you think this will make a dent in Obesity? No, not one god damned drop. The only way to combat it, via regulations, is to regulate everything that goes in a persons mouth, and take away freedom of choice. Plain and simple.

Thinking like yours is what allows these politicians to erode your personal freedoms "for the benefit of the nation". Welcome to fascism.