Vegetarians - why?

Options
BigDaddyRonnie
BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
Ok, I am probably going to offend some, but its not my intention.

However, I just don't get it, and never will. There has never been a good argument presented to me. I figure because whenever I ask why, they almost always get offended. For the life of me, I don't understand why I can't ask for a reason?

So why?

And please remove all of the tofu answers. That stuff is just nasty.

Replies

• DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    why does it matter
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You know, they don't feel like there is a good reason to eat meat. Eat your way, I'll eat mine, and they will eat theirs.
  • cyurt
    cyurt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i was a vegetarian for 5 months just recently. everyone has different reasons weather it be for the saving of an animal or because they do not like meat period.

think of the one food you hate....would you want someone judging you if you dont like it?
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    You'd eat any tofu recipe I made and you would ask for seconds.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    i was a vegetarian for 5 months just recently. everyone has different reasons weather it be for the saving of an animal or because they do not like meat period.

think of the one food you hate....would you want someone judging you if you dont like it?

See, I will eat everything...I mean EVERYTHING (except tofu, so then that is not everything). You name it, I have had it. I could have one of those food tv shows.

So not liking food, or foods, or types, or ingredients, or...that is not the option for me, so maybe that is why I have no understanding of what the word vegetarian means to a person.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My motto is if it works for you, use it. Live and let live, brother.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    some people just don't *like* meat.

others are opposed to animals being killed for food.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Yes it is.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

Yes it is.

That is not really fair. How can someone ask for clarification on a stance if the people with the answers immediately take this stance?
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 9 years, and honestly, it really comes down to taste preferences for me. I don't like how meat tastes. I don't like how it smells, and I don't like how it feels (either when I'm eating it or when it's sitting in my stomach). I also get creeped out at the thought of eating muscles when I myself am made of muscles. It's just too close for my liking.

That said, I don't care if other people choose to eat meat; that's totally their preference. If it doesn't bother them, then I don't see it as my business to try and gross them out or convert them. If there ever came a time where I had to eat meat or die, or if my desire to eat a steak overwhelmed my distaste for it, I would do it. I actually have tried meat a few times over the past few years to see if I really wanted to continue being vegetarian, and every time it (the meat in question) was just not for me.
  • sktllmdrhmz
    sktllmdrhmz Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I see lots of people jumping the OP and no one giving a reason. Given that's exactly what the OP says always happens, I wish I could find it ironic, but it's exactly what I was expecting, too.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Vegetarianism and veganism are both manners of eating that don't make sense and don't appeal to me. The ethical stance in particular kind of rubs me wrong, but as long as they're not getting all militant and demanding that I change my eating ways, I won't complain. Them not eating bacon just means there's more for me.

ETA: spent a lot of time in Hawaii and never met a tofu I could eat without gagging. It doesn't matter what it tastes like, it's the texture that makes my throat scream in protest when I try to ingest the stuff.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I simply don't like to eat things that are cute.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    I see lots of people jumping the OP and no one giving a reason. Given that's exactly what the OP says always happens, I wish I could find it ironic, but it's exactly what I was expecting, too.

I think, and I could be wrong in this particular case, that the reason some vegetarians get defensive quickly is because a lot of us are often presented with "Carnivore Trolls" who pretend to be curious about vegetarianism and then just want to bash us for not eating "real food" or whatnot. So, unfortunately, when someone has a legitimate question, the walls go up right away so as to avoid having to go through the whole rigmarole again.

It's actually a pretty interesting thing I've experienced. Vegetarianism is strangely polarizing; many veggies assume meat-eaters will belittle their choices, and many meat-eaters assume veggies are trying to convert them to the PETA lifestyle. So then in defense they both fall deeper into the stereotypes. It's really interesting to obverse.
  • sherry9300
    sherry9300 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian, but I can go meatless for days at a time. I'm just not a big meat and potatoes type person. What really does throw me is the fake processed meat substitutes for vegans/vegetarians. I supposed those are simply for people who choose to go vegan/vegetarian for animal-ethical reasons. I mean, if I want chicken, I will eat chicken not some mystery protein made to look chicken-like.

But really, to each his own. You can be healthy or unhealthy either way.
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Please do not get offended anybody, but i think it is very unnatural for someone to not eat meat. think about cavemen, they ate meat all their lives, they needed it to survive. they did not eat any grains either. Sure it saves you from the fat, and maybe a heart attack being a vegetarian, but if you eat lean cuts of meat, its even better for your health. Sure they are adorable, but you need meat to survive, or at least be as healthy as can be. I was a vegetarian for a VERY short time, because i joined PETA. sure it kills animals, but you are never 100% vegetarian, because think of all the flies a year that you eat in your sleep... I think its really cool when people are vegetarians, its just not for me, because i love meat too much.

please nobody get offended, this is just my opinion.

*edited to fix a spell error*
  • juliaamilee
    juliaamilee Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter? To each their own.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    For me personally I just don't like the taste of most meats...so it's not an ethical decision or a dietary one. I think cheeseburgers taste gross. Steak blahhh. Ham...ick. I do eat chicken if it's grilled and burned beyond recognition. I love smoked turkey (helloooo sodium lol) as well as hot dogs burned on the grill!!!! And bacon!!!! Yummy!! So for me it's just a preference.
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    It's a personal choice - simple as that! I could go into details but it kinda sounds like you've made your mind up already. Sorry if I'm wrong and you are genuinly have an open mind? Would be happy to share if that is the case.

LIke someone else mentioned I don't go round trying to convert people, I buy and cook meat for my man, I just ask that he thinks about where that food has come from. (the same as we all should do with anything we put in our mouths lol!)
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options

Yes it is.

That is not really fair. How can someone ask for clarification on a stance if the people with the answers immediately take this stance?
    I think it is perfectly fair, when people start any kind of statement with " I'm not a ...... but…."
    What they are really saying is “I know I’m a..... But I'm going to say/act like one anyway”
    Be it a troll or a bigot or a racist or just a ****. They know in advance the rise they will get when they say what they say, and get a perverse joy from the attention.
This discussion has been closed.