Do you "check in" when your weight goes up?

Options

Replies

• bleu528
    bleu528 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes! I weigh in on Wednesdays... And if it goes up I log it. And If it goes down, I log it. It's not about de-motivation or depressing myself... it's about being Honest with myself. Maybe once a week is too often, maybe I should do once every two weeks, but whatever that weight is on Wednesday, I log it. If I don't, I'm just lying to myself.

Yea so true, I weigh in a few times a week but if it's up I'll wait a day or two. But really, this is a journey and it's the long-term changes that count!
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Losses. The thing is I don't log my actual weight. For example, I weighed in around 173 for days before I actually entered "173". It is a strategy. Now my scale has said 170.2 and 170.6 for the last two days. I have been trying to get under 173, but I was at a plateau. My weigh-in was put at 172 yesterday even though I weighed 170.2 (just in case I was low on water and it came back the next day). Today when I weighed 170.6, I still put in 171, just in case, to leave room for some error later. I keep this guide because that way if I gain a lb of water I don't really feel like I gained a lb because I logged a higher number than I seen on my scale. It keeps me from being discouraged by having to put in a gain of some pounds.. Sort of like saying the glass is half full, not a lie, just a different perception.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I do. I find it important to note my gains to see where they are coming from. I can be up like 5 pounds and I will notice that I've consumed insane amounts of sodium this week. Or maybe I went over on calories too much. I find it equally important as posting the losses.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I log my weight once a week based on my Tuesday morning weigh-in. I might hop on the scale at other points througout the week to make sure keeping on track, but that's the only one that gets input. And I post it, regardless of whether I'm up or down from the previous week.
    This. Only mine is Thursday evenings when I go weigh in. I weigh every day I go to the gym just to see which direction I'm going in, but I log that in another app and not here. That way I can see a true up and down graph of my journey when I'm all done with the losing.
  • strongnotskinny121
    strongnotskinny121 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Sunday and whatever the number is, it gets recorded.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    if its just a lb or two, I do not record gains, but if it was a lot say (5+), I think I'd have to. I only weigh once a month, so I don't see a lot of the normal fluctuations.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily to stay on course, I do record it to learn from the fluctuations.

^^^^This. It also keeps me honest. If I only record the results I like, pretty soon I will only be recording the good food I eat. Pretty soon, my entire journal becomes a fantasy....
  • chameleon77
    chameleon77 Posts: 124
    Options
    I've only gained one pound since I've begun to lose weight, and I didn't log that. But if it were to be 5 lbs or more, I definitely would so I could stay focused and on track. I need that visual sometimes.:smile:
  • lauries3
    lauries3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I put it all in. No matter what the scale says.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I once tried it & even updated my diary settings based on my gained weight however I saw that there wasn't any difference on the amount of calories that I need to eat to maintain that weight. I'm not here to lose weight by the way.
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do now. Regardless of my weight on Fridays, it's inputed.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There are fluctuations every day, but I log my weight "officially" for MFP on Monday mornings. It's a new week and whatever my weight is (up or down) it gets logged. It's the only way I'm honest with myself and if I go up ... I better watch what I'm eating and I better be exercising more! If I go down - bonus, but the journey isn't over. That's what I'm here for!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Whatever the scale says on Friday morning I log - up or down or same.
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just the losses, but I weigh everyday.
  • wearealladdicts
    wearealladdicts Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes, because I want to see everything from the graph.....so I could keep an eye on it.
    I go up and down by 3 kg weekly
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    I have been plateauing for a while.......and the scale has gone up and down a little...................and I hate it! I decided NOT to weigh more than once a week, because it's depressing me.

So.............question for ya'll..........DO YOU note your weight GAINS in MFP? Or just your losses.

Me? JUST the losses.................
    Yep. Weight is just a number. If I gained 2lbs today, no one would be able to tell by looking at me. However if I looked like I gained weight, I probably did.
    You are responsible for your gains and losses. If you lost, it's on you. If you gained, the same. When I weight check clients, I DON'T disregard the gains and just count the losses.
    Be honest and put yourself out there. You may find it easier to reach goal with this in mind.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • avt85
    avt85 Posts: 64
    Options
    I used to only log losses but then again I used to only weight myself Once a week. Now that I have started weighing myself everyday for about 3-4 weeks now. I've been logging everything(loss and gain). It allows me to understand how my body fluctuates based on my food intake and choices. Also gives me a good idea when my body retains water and finally decides to drop it.

Thanks to this. I can somewhat predict that my weekly drop in weight happens towards the end of the week.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Just the losses.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If I weigh I track it... It helps me see trends in my diet and remain accountable. A small gain or no movement on the scale does NOT equate to being a failure. Not tracking doesn't mean that weigh in didn't happen or that number on the scale wasn't there. It did happen and the number WAS there. Why hide from it? Shame? Embarrassment, disappointment? Isnt it more shameful and embarrasing that you want to hide from normal biological fluctuations or admit youarent perfect, or even if you are some things are just out of our control....

Once you weigh, you may has well hold yourself accountable. If you can't even hold yourself accountable with a number on the scale how can you be accountable for tracking all the calories you put in your mouth each day? Do you not track your food if you ate more than you want to acknowledge? It just doesn't make any sense!

ACCOUNTABILITY... No one else is going to do it for you!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Yes! I weigh in on Wednesdays... And if it goes up I log it. And If it goes down, I log it. It's not about de-motivation or depressing myself... it's about being Honest with myself. Maybe once a week is too often, maybe I should do once every two weeks, but whatever that weight is on Wednesday, I log it. If I don't, I'm just lying to myself.

This. But on Monday mornings so I can't screw up the weekend.