Tell me what you do with Black Beans

12345679»

Replies

• shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    I put them in tacos!!!
    You can also put them in salad and soup. :)
    Veggie soup with black beans is YUM
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    What don't you do with Black Beans??? If I'm hungry enough, I drain them and eat them out of the can. I'm not a cook either. (Can't stand for more than 5 or 10 minutes.) I like them drained and rinsed added to Zatarain's box rices. They aren't very healthy for sodium, but they are low calorie and very easy to make and tasty. If you like raw onion...heated black beans with chopped onion is delicious. Most any spice in Mexican food is very good with them and Salsa is yummy with them. (Those are my non-cooking suggestions.) Enjoy! My apologies to cooks...I used to do the real thing... :drinker:
  • There's actually a Black Bean Brownies recipe from Food Network. Sounds gross but they're amazing!

Here's the link:
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/black-bean-brownies-recipe/index.html

I put all of the information in before to see the amount of calories they had per serving and it really wasn't all that bad.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    They are yummy. The recipe is an authentic cuban recipe. You can play with the proportions, especially if you like mojo criollo (Cuban marinade) ... the lime, orange, garlic, cumin, and oregano are basically a home made mojo.

ETA: If you want it a little sweeter, use more orange. If you want more zing, use more lime. If you want a slightly different taste, you can substitute sour orange (naranja agria - found in the latin section of many grocery stores) for the orange. OH ... you can ALWAYS add more garlic.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    I would put them in my garden salads.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Chili...with or without a ground meat. I like to use 3-4 different kinds of beans, tomatoes, onions, chili powder, splash of hot sauce and it's yummy!
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Vegetarian version of Spicy Italian and Black Bean soup. I used the Trader Joes Soy Italian Sausage instead of the regular spicy pork italian sausage and I swear I couldn't really find a difference. Good thing was that it was so much faster than using traditional sausage and I had dinner done in about half an hour (including all the chopping time!) Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 pound hot Italian (SOY) sausage
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 large onion, diced
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1 cup red wine
    1 (32 fluid ounce) container vegetable broth (low sodium)
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
    1 cup uncooked whole wheat rotini pasta
    1 cup Kale leaves
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
    salt and black pepper to taste
    I used all organic ingredients and low-sodium when available

Directions

Heat tablespoon of oil in dutch oven/pot and add onions and chopped Soy Sausage of your choosing, stir until onions are translucent
    Add garlic and celery (I like to leave the celery a little firm so there's more texture
    Add red wine to deglaze bottom of the pot, stir to get the bits and pieces loose then add in the tomato paste and stir until smooth
    Put in the veggie broth and black beans and bring to a boil
    Add Kale leaves, pasta, basil, and oregano and give a good stir
    Boil until the pasta is done (for the whole wheat kind it's between 10 and 12 minutes
    Put into bowls and top with a little parmesan cheese or greek yogurt!
    So good! Each LARGE serving is around 350 calories!
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    I need help with these...bump!
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    I feel this is like the "shrimp" scene from Forrest Gump.

Black bean burger,
    black bean soup
    black beans and rice
    black bean and smoked turkey chili
    black bean, roasted corn, avocado salsa
    black beans for baking in brownie recipes
    black beans for baking in cookie recipes

Hahaha! Awesome. :tongue: