Vegetarians - why?

Options

Replies

• amivox
    amivox Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    He isn't here; I am.

Truly, the thing that gets me about these boards are the meat-eaters who pound their chests and say something like "Dead animals are tasty. I don't care how the hell they died."

Meat-eaters who at least show some respect for the animals they eat are fine with me. But, I hate the entitlement, and 'you can't make me stop' attitude. Yeah...like I could.

You clearly share the same elitist views if you chose to marry someone who speaks to people like he does...

Please show me where I'm pounding my chest and saying how I don't care how animals die? I believe that they should be humanely killed, I also believe animals like chickens shouldn't be stuck in tiny pens where they can hardly move from over crowding of other chickens. Just because I eat meat that does not mean that I believe animals should be mistreated and tortured before death. That's a very simple minded way of stereotyping omni/carnivores...

I agree with everything but the first line. My boyfriend is really REALLY opinionated, and overly honest to the point where it isn't tactful. I am not like that at all. The way he talks to people sometimes is actually embarrassing. I definitely wouldn't want to have it assumed that I hold some of the views he has, because even he and I argue over the ridiculousness of some of his statements. lol
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    He isn't here; I am.

Truly, the thing that gets me about these boards are the meat-eaters who pound their chests and say something like "Dead animals are tasty. I don't care how the hell they died."

Meat-eaters who at least show some respect for the animals they eat are fine with me. But, I hate the entitlement, and 'you can't make me stop' attitude. Yeah...like I could.

You clearly share the same elitist views if you chose to marry someone who speaks to people like he does...

Please show me where I'm pounding my chest and saying how I don't care how animals die? I believe that they should be humanely killed, I also believe animals like chickens shouldn't be stuck in tiny pens where they can hardly move from over crowding of other chickens. Just because I eat meat that does not mean that I believe animals should be mistreated and tortured before death. That's a very simple minded way of stereotyping omni/carnivores...

I am speaking generally about these boards. Not anything you said, specifically.

And you are saying I'm an 'elitist' because I married someone you think fits that category? Amazing!
  • _VoV
    Options
    He isn't here; I am.

I agree with everything but the first line. My boyfriend is really REALLY opinionated, and overly honest to the point where it isn't tactful. I am not like that at all. The way he talks to people sometimes is actually embarrassing. I definitely wouldn't want to have it assumed that I hold some of the views he has, because even he and I argue over the ridiculousness of some of his statements. lol

Some posters come onto these threads, and that's all they say. It's insensitive, if nothing else.
  • JellyButter
    JellyButter Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I just don't like meat.
    Simple as that.
  • TheFitFireman
    TheFitFireman Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    LOL I go to the gym and come back to See the Omnivore thread closed and now VergingOnVega is working on getting this one closed as well.

Star_Trek_-_In_Before_the_Lock.gif

Really. And why would that be? For expressing an opinion that is different than yours?

You're aloud to have a varied opinion from mine, unlike you, I don't judge people for what they eat. I'm more than okay with you being vegetarian but you have a severe case of "butt hurt" on every single forum that has someone stating they eat meat.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It boils down to.... preference and choice.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I almost went veg. The only meat I ate was chicken nuggets and I think I just ate them so often the thought of eating more meat turned me. Turns out I hate most vegetarian food too (getting better). I'm also concerned for those who do not research what is lacking in the vegetarian's diet and how to get it in a healthy matter that doesn't consist of eating the same thing over and over like tofu (that's a different thread rant). I can understand why peoples stomach turn over meat. It doesn't do that to me anymore. A animal dies for me every day. I'm like Jesus.

I also didn't want to be associated with the attitude problem most people assume vegetarians have. I bet some people got offended by my jesus comment for example. Don't get me wrong the 'meat eaters' can be just as bad to the other extreme making a point to tick the vegetarians off. I think we all need to be a little more acceptable and not assume that because someone has curiosity (not necessarily a bad thing in life) like the OP, or a sense of humor, you need to fight with them (non-constructively).

I think it's all rather silly. If someone is saying something and it's not to be intentionally mean about it, why would you flip it to be?
  • _VoV
    Options
    He isn't here; I am.

My husband doesn't try to be politically correct either, so I understand. I try to state things in as respectful a way as I can, but I'm human, and sometimes get provoked. This guy is saying I think I'm 'superior' because of who I'm married to--like I have no individuality at all. He mustn't be married to think that way, I think. This point of view goes back to the days when wives were little more than chattel to their husbands.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Really. And why would that be? For expressing an opinion that is different than yours?
    It's the seemingly militant and derogatory way in which your message is delivered, rather than the message itself. I usually respect your opinion if not your husbands, but you have veered more toward the superiority argument in the last couple of threads. I just wish the issue could be discussed without either side being hostile or unreasonable.
  • amivox
    Options
    I almost went veg. The only meat I ate was chicken nuggets and I think I just ate them so often the thought of eating more meat turned me. Turns out I hate most vegetarian food too (getting better). I'm also concerned for those who do not research what is lacking in the vegetarian's diet and how to get it in a healthy matter that doesn't consist of eating the same thing over and over like tofu (that's a different thread rant). I can understand why peoples stomach turn over meat. It doesn't do that to me anymore. A animal dies for me every day. I'm like Jesus.

I also didn't want to be associated with the attitude problem most people assume vegetarians have. I bet some people got offended by my jesus comment for example. Don't get me wrong the 'meat eaters' can be just as bad to the other extreme making a point to tick the vegetarians off. I think we all need to be a little more acceptable and not assume that because someone has curiosity (not necessarily a bad thing in life) like the OP, or a sense of humor, you need to fight with them (non-constructively).

I think it's all rather silly. If someone is saying something and it's not to be intentionally mean about it, why would you flip it to be?

If you're like Jesus, I have lots of water I need turned into more suitable adult drinks...
  • _VoV
    Options
    LOL I go to the gym and come back to See the Omnivore thread closed and now VergingOnVega is working on getting this one closed as well.

Star_Trek_-_In_Before_the_Lock.gif

You're aloud to have a varied opinion from mine, unlike you, I don't judge people for what they eat. I'm more than okay with you being vegetarian but you have a severe case of "butt hurt" on every single forum that has someone stating they eat meat.

Whatever. For the record, I have never 'judged' anyone. That would be you feeling judged for reasons only you can know.
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Personally, I am a low carber (the EXACT opposite of a vegetarian) and the #1 argument people use against low carb eating is this..."It isn't healthy to completely eliminate an entire food group from your diet"

HELLO......vegetarians eliminate an entire food group from their diet but that seems to be totally acceptable and much less taboo for some reason. I think that most people are vegetarians just because they want to act holier-than-thou about their lifestyle choice:tongue:
  • _VoV
    Options
    It's the seemingly militant and derogatory way in which your message is delivered, rather than the message itself. I usually respect your opinion if not your husbands, but you have veered more toward the superiority argument in the last couple of threads. I just wish the issue could be discussed without either side being hostile or unreasonable.

I think you should go back and read my posts--I mainly objected to the argument about plants feeling pain. I really don't think I am morally 'superior.' Many people have me beat in so many ways: taking in foster kids, visiting old folks in nursing homes, volunteering to fight fires in their communities. I love animals and want to reduce suffering by not eating them--it's a point of fact. It says nothing about you at all.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I've tried to cut down my consumption of meat/meat products due to the fact that livestock maintenance and production causes a lot of CO2 emissions (particularly beef).

Decreasing CO2 means less food for all those yummy plants.....just saying....
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I don't eat meat for a number of reasons. It's disgusting. The thought of it grosses me out. If if doesn't bother you, fine. And the animals suffer. And the big thing for me is that the meat industry is very, very bad for the environment, especially factory farms, which provide most meat (chances are, if you eat meat, you are eating animals that were treated and killed inhumanely). It plays a major role in deforestation, the depletion of the ozone layer, irreversible damage to coral reefs, drought, famine, hunger, and poverty. Personally, I believe that if it is within your power to do something good, then you should, so if you can afford to give up meat (and dairy), you should.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Jesus, Doorki, you really REALLY want people to start considering the feelings of plants. This is like the 1984y638927t53 forum you have posted your plant argument in.

Don't you have like... working out... or a job... or something else besides your absurd argument to focus your attention on? Maybe you need a girlfriend. EHarmony is a wonderful site from what I have heard.

lol...Married, 2 kids, good job and healthy love for debate. The argument is not absurd because it pokes holes in some of the anti-meat crowd's perceived superiority because they do not harm things to eat. Everyone harms things to eat. Its the life and it is messy. Accept it =)

I'm not vegetarian clearly to anyone who have seen my posts in these vegetarian debates but it is a silly argument to compare harming a plant to an animal. Many plants are even designed to get ate in order to spread their seeds.

Many animals are designed to be eaten as well..... :wink:
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options

I'm not vegetarian clearly to anyone who have seen my posts in these vegetarian debates but it is a silly argument to compare harming a plant to an animal. Many plants are even designed to get ate in order to spread their seeds.

Many animals are designed to be eaten as well..... :wink:

QFT
  • amivox
    Options
    Personally, I am a low carber (the EXACT opposite of a vegetarian) and the #1 argument people use against low carb eating is this..."It isn't healthy to completely eliminate an entire food group from your diet"

HELLO......vegetarians eliminate an entire food group from their diet but that seems to be totally acceptable and much less taboo for some reason. I think that most people are vegetarians just because they want to act holier-than-thou about their lifestyle choice:tongue:

I don't think people are talking about food groups when referring to the carbs. I think they are referring to completely removing a macro. There are 3 macros that are necessary: carbs, fats, and proteins. Our body needs all of those things to function at its best. Vegetarians aren't eliminating protein, they are using alternative protein sources. I think thats what they mean... just saying. And for your information, plenty of vegetarians don't have a holier than thou attitude, so maybe you should stop generalizing, because it sounds like you might have a superiority complex now...
  • lauramonster
    Options
    I've tried to cut down my consumption of meat/meat products due to the fact that livestock maintenance and production causes a lot of CO2 emissions (particularly beef).

Decreasing CO2 means less food for all those yummy plants.....just saying....

There is no shortage of carbon dioxide in the world. There will probably never be a shortage of carbon dioxide in the world. Even if there were, if people ate less meat, then animals would eat less plants, and there'd be more plants for the rest of us.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    The only reason for these threads is to get the veggies fighting the omnis...and then getting locked
This discussion has been closed.