TOO MUCH FRUIT CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

Options

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    You should find a new personal trainer if he is yours. Sugar by itself does inhibit fat loss within a calorie deficit assuming you have no underlying medical conditions.

^ This.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    ^agreed

The rule of thumb I've always lived by is don't eat fruit 6 hours before bed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Although fruit contains natural sugar in the form of fructose, it is nonetheless still sugar and too much of it can lead to weight gain. Most of the carbohydrates we eat are made up of chains of glucose. When glucose enters the bloodstream, the body releases insulin to help regulate it. Fructose, on the other hand, is processed in the liver. When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can't process it all fast enough so it is converted into fats.

From a pathophysiological point of view, you would have to eat a bucketful of fruit before your liver had problems processing fructose.

This.

Also, from a caloric standpoint, eating too much of ANYTHING can lead to weight gain. The last thing I'd be worrying about is fruit.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm......fruit. This post inspired me to have a cup of sliced strawberries with a tbsp of ED smith no sugar added syrup. Seriously, it did. I love me some fruit and if I choose it over ice cream---it's a win for me.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    nope, misleading.

you can have all the fruit/sugar you want. if you're in a calorie deficit you will not gain fat.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    eating too much anything can get in the way of weight loss. just sayin.

oh, and unless you are diabetic? sugar doesn't matter.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I love fruit. It is nature's candy.
  • AlexPawley
    AlexPawley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Posts such as this always make me a little worried. For the average person wanting to lose weight and get healthy avoiding fruit is not a good suggestion.

Losing weight is all about calories in and calories out, doesn't matter where those calories come from.

Personally I am aiming for better health and a change in lifestyle, therefore I would rather consume fewer starch, protein and fat calories.

People don't eat enough fruit as it is and suggestions such as the original post just give people an excuse not to eat fruit and to eat maybe more starchy carbs, protein and fat. The balance in nutrients is gone.
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Nothing is good if you eat too much of it. Avoiding fruit because of sugar, however, is not necessarily a healthy option either. It has so many good things - vitamins, minerals, fiber, micronutrients - that is hard to get from other sources. And not to be rude to the personal trainer, I am careful about taking advice from trainers where nutrition is concerned. Registered Dietitians are much more appropriate sources of info.

^I agree. Fruit is not our enemy, and I'm with the other posters, I eat mine in the morning or with lunch. Fruit is yummy and good for you :)
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't, by nature, bad for you.

And, I know I'm being pedantic, but rhubarb is a vegetable.
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    bump that is good to know. Thank you for sharing! I went over on my sugar from just that today! Bought fruits and vegetables, every kind...Tk you:)

Don't think it will chang emy mind though....I love fresh fruits!
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is so true... We can easily add the pounds thinking we are eating healthy by over eating fruit. Definitely helpful info. I was just having me some strawberries as i read this Lol

I love your profile pic....
  • EEpling89
    EEpling89 Posts: 152
    Options
    OMG. Fruit is better than a cheeseburger. Calories in versus calories out.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

You should find a new personal trainer if he is yours. Sugar by itself does inhibit fat loss within a calorie deficit assuming you have no underlying medical conditions.
    ^This... I eat fruit daily and. Its never hampered my weight loss
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    THIS JUST IN:

TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

....smashes face off of keyboard repeatedly....
  • amnski
    amnski Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    THIS JUST IN:

TOO MUCH OF ANYTHING CAN GET IN THE WAY OF WEIGHT LOSS!

....smashes face off of keyboard repeatedly....

hahahahaha!!
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Fruits fight cancer. Some of the sweetest of the fruits are some of the most nutritious. I shoot for two a day, at least one, and I use fake sugar in my coffee.

Did you know that one kiwi supplies 100% of your vitamin C for the day, and is also a good source of potassium?

Researchers are still discovering more about the cancer-fighting properties of phytonutrients. Generally, the darker and redder the fruit, the better it is for you, such as blueberries (low in sugar) and red grapes (high in sugar). Cherries are also good in fighting arthritis and gout, they are discovering. It's cherry season right now! About 20 is a serving. I find I enjoy eating cherries more when I have an olive pitter to take out the pits.

In the meantime, I think it's safer to eat all kinds of fruit. Berries are very good for you but expensive as heck. When I have a banana, I only eat half of one for a serving because it is very high in sugar. That takes a little willpower. They are very rich in potassium. Fruits are an excellent source of potassium, which is main ion inside every cell in your body. It also helps counteract high blood pressure because it interacts with sodium in the extra-cellular fluids of body.

Ruth
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

^This... I eat fruit daily and. Its never hampered my weight loss

Another one for this....

(except he meant "doesn't", not "does"...can't believe I was the first to correct that...lol)