I do not want to see another post about someone's grammar!

Options

Replies

• AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time not correcting it. I don't see why it is so hard to use proper grammer or spelling. Plus text speak kills me. :noway:

I know in my case the need to correct comes from a general belief that our society is "dumbing down". I will control my urges :wink:
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I told my MIL about MFP. Set her up on her computer with a shortcut to get here. Her first couple days were good. She answered a post and the grammar police came out! She left and will not be returning. What the police didn't know is, she had a stroke and has never been the same. They didn't know she was a person that really needs to be here, it truly might have saved her life. If she would have been here years before her stroke she would have fit right in, grammar errors didn't plague her then. I also have a friend with learning disabilities who tries hard but can't remember simple things no matter how many times she has been shown, told, directed. To Speak to her you would never know. On paper it glares at you. Still a good person! I will not be joining the grammar police for those reasons. :flowerforyou:
  • FitnessSista
    FitnessSista Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, because, ya know, EDUCATING people is frowned on here, you're only supposed to smile and pat them on the back, no matter what. When I make a mistake, I prefer and appreciate being corrected, it's called LEARNING.

Especially on a message board, spelling and grammar are the only way you can communicate, and pretty much directly relates to people's opinions. If I can't understand what a person is saying, that's a problem. Whatever happened to being proud of your language? I find it truly sad when non-native English speakers have better spelling and grammar than native speakers.

How can you assume that everyone's language is English? Just because they reside in those English speaking countries doesn't mean they're native speakers. What if they're recent immigrants who are still learning the language?

I personally are a spanish speaking person may be there's a lot of mistakes in my posts, never been in the states or other english speakers countries, so my english is what i learn from school and by myself, so i know that my english is may be not the best, but at least is better that other peoples spanish, still working on my english and want to learn other languages as well

Me too. I'm bilingual in Spanish (more on Mexican Spanish) & Filipino (My dad is Spanish-Mexican descent & mom is a Filipina) while English is only my 3rd language which is why my English writing is poor & you can see a lot of edits in my posts. Even worse is that I can write English better than I can speak it. Of course I learned English in the Philippines but I can't practice that language here simply because its not the native language. However I feel the pressure to be "perfect" in that language not only in MFP but more so here even though English isn't a mother tongue. And that is what I hate the most.

That's awesome that u speak three languages! Wish it was me!!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Yes, because, ya know, EDUCATING people is frowned on here, you're only supposed to smile and pat them on the back, no matter what. When I make a mistake, I prefer and appreciate being corrected, it's called LEARNING.

Especially on a message board, spelling and grammar are the only way you can communicate, and pretty much directly relates to people's opinions. If I can't understand what a person is saying, that's a problem. Whatever happened to being proud of your language? I find it truly sad when non-native English speakers have better spelling and grammar than native speakers.

Afraid I agree. People that have trouble spelling, suffer from dyslexia I can understand. But I really dislike how our language is being bastardised by people that can't be bothered. I also get very ashamed when people who don't have English as their first language have a better grasp of it than the majority of people I know. Sad.

To the original poster. I know what you are saying, and if someone comes begging for help and support and the response is more about their spelling, grammar and punctuation then that says more about us than them. But, if one is able to, then good english is like good manners. Doesn't cost anything.

I for one have the biggest pet hate of DOUBLE NEGATIVES. Argh!!!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    There...do you feel better now? :flowerforyou:
  • Waterbottlefiller
    Options
    Well in you making this you just have.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    to answer the title of this post: neither did i. and then OP made this post...
  • FitnessSista
    Options
    I told my MIL about MFP. Set her up on her computer with a shortcut to get here. Her first couple days were good. She answered a post and the grammar police came out! She left and will not be returning. What the police didn't know is, she had a stroke and has never been the same. They didn't know she was a person that really needs to be here, it truly might have saved her life. If she would have been here years before her stroke she would have fit right in, grammar errors didn't plague her then. I also have a friend with learning disabilities who tries hard but can't remember simple things no matter how many times she has been shown, told, directed. To Speak to her you would never know. On paper it glares at you. Still a good person! I will not be joining the grammar police for those reasons. :flowerforyou:

What words! I had a friend who could not pass the bar exam for years. It is because I worked with dyslexic children I knew his problem. I advised his wife that he should take the bar orally and he passed. He now make more than $300,000 a year easy! And, he is an awesome attorney. He hires paralegals to review his grammar.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    v6C7q.jpg
    :tongue:
  • Modcom
    Modcom Posts: 18
    Options
    Shouldn't this be titled, "I don't wanna"?
  • camelgirlmn
    camelgirlmn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i tells ya sum pepoles mothers!!!
  • FitnessSista
    Options
    There...do you feel better

Peace
  • nicholettebell
    Options

Yes! This!
  • Mrsvbritt
    Mrsvbritt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! I don't want to see that mess. People have alot to deal with aready! You should be ashamed of youselves for making people feel bad or hurting their feelings! Wow all of this on a MOTIVATIONAL AND SUPPORT WEBSITE!!! WOW!! IT'S JUST SAD!!!!!!
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It is so sad that one has to come to MFP, a place that is to be about support to be harassed for their writing style! I have read some of the profiles of those doing the harassing and do not see any PhDs in the bunch!

Now, I am not one for being negative, for we get enough of that crap as fat people in the 'real world.' My friends of MFP, this ain't the real world for me! This is my created reality for where I put my mind in a positive place to allow for positive inspirations and associations! I am sure there are others who have joined MFP for the same reason.

No one needs to be harassed about there writing style on MFP! The ability to write was not a perquisite for joining MFP. Stop it! Stop the negativity! Enough already! Let people express themselves without concern or worry about what someone will say about their writing style!

Please don't take ur time and correct anything that I have written. When I receive my paycheck every two weeks there are no deductions for grammatical errors! When they gave me my three degrees, they did not hold back honors because of grammatical errors in my writing style.

Let people be. Let them speak. Let them say what they need to say. This site sometimes is more about why we eat more than what we eat. Some of the harassing comments are a reflection of why some people are obese.

Please, no comments from the grammatical experts. Y'all have said enough!!!

THANK YOU for posting this! We all come from different countries and backgrounds. For many, English is a second language. People need to stop being so "anal retentive" and start encouraging the right kind of support, since we are all on here to try and lose weight, not to be critiqued on the mechanics of grammar.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    v6C7q.jpg
    :tongue:

Now that's funny!:laugh:
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Awww. :(
  • Spice_4_Life
    Spice_4_Life Posts: 225
    Options
    I just think this is nonsense. No need to correct people, or complain about the people who do it. Does it really affect you? No. Just go on with your fight to get healthy. Nothing else should really matter. If people are healthy, it shouldn't matter what else they do. People need to stop, and just be healthy.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options

Afraid I agree. People that have trouble spelling, suffer from dyslexia I can understand. But I really dislike how our language is being bastardised by people that can't be bothered. I also get very ashamed when people who don't have English as their first language have a better grasp of it than the majority of people I know. Sad.

To the original poster. I know what you are saying, and if someone comes begging for help and support and the response is more about their spelling, grammar and punctuation then that says more about us than them. But, if one is able to, then good english is like good manners. Doesn't cost anything.

I for one have the biggest pet hate of DOUBLE NEGATIVES. Argh!!!

So if you are talking to a stranger on the street, or being served at a restaurant, do you correct them if they make a grammatical error? Most likely no. Its the same thing here. It is one thing to nicely make a note of it, but another to over analyze and state one's annoyance for other people's posts.

Bigger picture here people, c'mon! LOL If we were all on www.owlpurdue.com or in a discussion forum in an online class, maybe that's one thing.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I have spell check turned on all the time, it's not difficult, sometimes when I type stuff too fast there are spelling errors and I wouldn't notice unless I saw the red squiggly line under the word,
    Some of the harassing comments are a reflection of why some people are obese.

Are you saying people are obese because someone corrected their grammar?
This discussion has been closed.