Places to visit - USA

Options

Replies

• cookadook
    cookadook Posts: 41
    Options
    I have lived all over the U.S... some of my favorites to live and visit are... Mrytle Beach, South Carolina, Virginia Beach, VA. Both of those depend on weather and your appeal to the beach. I also recommend Baltimore, Maryland, Boston, Mass., Cincinnati, OH, San Fransisco, CA, Denver, CO, Austin, TX, New Orleans, LA, St. Louis, MO., and Chicago, IL. It really depends on what kind of activities you are interested in and what kind of culture you are looking for and also how much you have to spend. I get email offers from Groupon and LivingSocial that will give you great deals on packages to lot of places. Good luck and have fun!!
  • gwduker
    gwduker Posts: 293
    Options
    For scenery and beauty, Rapid City area. You have the Black Hills, The Wastelands, Devil's Tower is nearby, Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mtn, and the National Park out there.
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Am looking for somewhere a little different to visit, everyone I know from the UK seems to visit, LA, NYC, Vegas or Florida

Can anyone recommend somewhere? Louisiana is looking appealing at the mo...

I moved to NYC from Louisiana... You werent planning on going to Lousie in July - September were you? If so... please be prepared for vietnam type tropical humidity/scorching heat. Anytime other than that though - is one of the most culturally fun places Ive ever lived.

*snuggles memories of home*

No chance lol I am a real English Rose - I made sure I went to NYC in December because I just can't *do* heat :laugh:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Chicago is fun!

If you like canoeing, hiking, and other stuff like that I'd see the grand canyon like another poster mentioned
    Sanibel Island in Florida is beautiful, peaceful and not as crazy-busy as other beach places. June is the best time to go in my opinion.
    Key West, Florida, is also a lot of fun but it's a big 'bar scene' at night. You'd love it if you're into that. Otherwise it's still pretty there, historical, has several art galleries, and there are, of course, beaches, snorkeling, etc.. The place is small enough that you can rent a bike to go nearly anywhere.

Colorado Springs is another awesome place. Pikes Peak is nearby, they have tons of bike trails, parks, etc. I'd live there if I could!
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You might do better to pick a region of the US and then narrow it down from there. There's quirky all over the place- it's kind of our thing. There's always an art car, a weird house or a giant lighthouse in the shape of a goose.

I wouldn't come to the deep South this time of year though unless you can handle humidity that makes the South of France seem like a crisp cool day. Unless you hit a beach city- you'll be sitting in humidity you will remember for a long, long time to come.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    San Diego, California up through Los Angeles - one of my FAVORITE places to vacation. Lots of things to see and do there, it's not too hot and the beaches are beautiful. We like to stay in northern San Diego near the highway - then everything is easy to get to. Beach, mountains, desert, all gorgeous!

On the other end of the spectrum - and the continent - New England states like Massachussets (which I've never learned to spell properly) - particularly near the coast. Rockport, Salem, Gloucester - all fabulous, and Boston is close by.

We also love the Gulf of Mexico side of Florida, like Sarasota. The waves are much calmer there and it's cleaned up nicely (I hear) after the horrid oil "spill" (if you can call that many gallons of oil a "spill").

Finally, I have to give a plug for my homestates - Virginia and West Virginia (hand over heart). Virginia is gorgeous and rich with history (Revolutionary and Civil, particularly). West Virginia is glorious and great for wild adventures like rafting, rock climbing, hiking, etc. Plus, the accents are hilarious (I still have a good bit of mine, so it should be safe for me to say that!)

No matter what city, though, I highly recommend at least one trip to Wal-Mart. I love taking my European friends to "Wally World" just to see their reaction to just HOW BIG that store is. It may not be the classiest stop on your visit, but it's certainly memorable!
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    New orleans is okay but if you're really looking to immerse yourself into actual culture and experience, you should come south of new orleans. I can take you gator huntin. LOL
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Oklahoma, I'll teach you to wrastle a hog.

Are you making fun of my great state? :huh:

Oklahoma is a beautiful state, but the roads are horrible.
  • tugers2
    tugers2 Posts: 139
    Options
    michigan.... then u can take a day trip or whatever into canada
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Usually I would point you towards Colorado, with the beautiful mountains and a million different outdoorsy things to do and most of the state being incredibly fitness/nutrition healthy, but apparently, our entire state is on fire this month.
  • twistofcain
    twistofcain Posts: 190
    Options
    Austin, TX or Memphis, TN. Both have an excellent night life, good food, and awesome blues music.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    Seattle --Underground Tours, Mt. St. Helens... Mt. Rainier -- Olympic Peninsula (Ho Rain Forest) -- So much to do there...

Utah - Zion National Park, Moab for mt. biking, Arches National Park... Wasatch Mountains are friggin' amazing. Park City... Such a great little ex-mining community.

Wyoming -- Jackson Hole - visit the Tetons and then head to Yellowstone National Park... you won't be sorry. It's outstanding.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Research the following suggested itineraries:

1. Louisiana - sure the French quarter but also Houmas House, Laura House, and Oak Alley for the full plantation tour, and a swamp tour south of Oak Alley is also a treat. While in the French Quarter, tour the Mint, and walk the Garden District - fantastic antiques and boutiques! Lafayette is another planet and even the radio stations speak french - Poupard's bakery is worth the trip just to have one of their Baba au Rhum pastries for a little hair of the dog.....

2. Monterey/Carmel/Pebble Beach/Big Sur California. the central coast south of SF and north of LA is beautiful. The Monterey Bay Aquarium is world class, the dining at the Fish House is as good as seafood gets, golf is everywhere and expensive unless you know someone in Pacific Grove and can get on the municipal course ($38). Pebble Beach is likely to be $500 a round, but playing the par 3 Peter Hay right next door is only $30 for all day! The shops in Carmel are amazing and the scenery along the coast is incredible. This is my favorite part of the USA but I am biased - I grew up there.

3. Chicago - St Louis. Two great midwestern towns that get overlooked. Lots of museums, shopping, tourist attractions, history, and great dining. This would be a trip to the heartland.

4. Boundary Waters, Ely Minnisota. Only if you like camping and canoeing. This huge region of northern Minnisota southern Canada is one of the the last pristine wilderness areas in the states. Very inexpensive to get a guide, rent all the gear, and do a week of paddling and fishing. The scenery is prehistoric and gorgeous.

5. Glacier National Park/Kalispell, Montana. Northern Rocky Mountains. Amazing views and hiking if you like mountain wilderness and the wild west. Real cowboys.

That's just a few ideas. There's tons more. Good luck!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    You must see the giant Redwood trees in Northern California! They are spectacular! Google them. And then go wine tasting in Napa Valley. But make sure you have a designated driver. It's so beautiful there!
  • duplicitous
    duplicitous Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Washington DC for a little history
  • M77308
    M77308 Posts: 183
    Options
    Estes Park, Colorado... Jackson Hole, WY and Yellowstone National Park... My two favorites :)
  • blazeybug87
    blazeybug87 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Might sounds a little unusual but for actual activities I don't care... gimme anything. I would be going alone so somewhere where you can meet real locals and just sorta blend in for a while

For some reason I have somewhere like Bon Temps from True Blood in my head.... and no I won't be expecting to meet Bill or Eric lol I just like the community style environment that is portrayed
    [/quote]

Further to the above people keep asking about activities... erm

1. Beaches - no no no no no! Sand, saltwater - eugh! This girl does not do heat!
    2. Bit of scenery is nice but if I had to spend all day every day walking around looking at rocks I would be bored
    3. Friendly locals - as I said before I would be on my own so a real friendly environment is what I am looking for, the sort where you can just meet people and hang out with them for the day, then the following day meet someone new and do the same
    4. Can be a bit of a thrillseeker at times?
    5. Budget - not really an issue
    6. Canada - no for now, just because I have family there and am in the process of planning a visit to them on a different occasion

Any help?
  • Rizabees
    Rizabees Posts: 80
    Options
    Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin (sorry I'm from Texas so I'm a bit biased), Atlanta, Washington D.C., Boston (my personal fave up north), Denver.... We have such a diverse landscape.... both physically and culturally.... what would you like to see/experience?
    Being from Texas, I agree with this! Check out the Texas hill country (Austin area). It's beautiful! There are tons of wineries,and bed and breakfasts. Have dinner at the Oasis on Lake Travis and enjoy a margarita while watching the boats and enjoying the beautiful sun sets. Stay in New Braunfels and check out Schiltterbahn-the most awesome waterpark you'll ever visit! Then spend a day floating down either the Comal or Guadalupe rivers.

I gotta agree on Texas with these two.
    I'm just north of Austin and it's a great city. Plenty to do in and around it.
    Schlitterbahn is a must if you're here.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin (sorry I'm from Texas so I'm a bit biased), Atlanta, Washington D.C., Boston (my personal fave up north), Denver.... We have such a diverse landscape.... both physically and culturally.... what would you like to see/experience?

I would take Atlanta off the list. I live close to Atlanta and I'd rather go anywhere but there!

I personally was thinking more along the lines of Savannah or the beaches along the Carolinas... but my brain misfired and Atlanta was the closest thing I could think of...