How do I track standing?

Options
I just supervised a three hour exam, which meant strolling around and standing still for 3 hours.

I'd like to track this "activity" but I typed in "standing" and nothing relevant came up.

Ideas?

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I just supervised a three hour exam, which meant strolling around and standing still for 3 hours.

I'd like to track this "activity" but I typed in "standing" and nothing relevant came up.

Ideas?
    Is it not part of your normal job? standing about. If it is I'd not track it. other wise try logging it as "walking" slowly
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    It's not part of my normal job (which is basically sitting at a computer all day). I do try and get up and move around as often as I can, but standing/strolling for 3 hours is quite a departure (and I have my daily fitness level set at the lowest sedentary possible).

I'll check out slow walking.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Ideas?

Standing? Like, standing still?

THAT'S NOT EXERCISE.

But if you must log, log .0000001 calorie burned for every 5 hours standing.

Please don't cheat yourself.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Look under "laying down". I think they use about the same number of calories.
  • Saiklor
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would just change my activity setting for the day to lightly active instead of sedentary ( just for today then switch it back tomorrow)
  • Saiklor
    Options
    ^ I appreciate your helpful suggestion.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    maybe walking at a leisurely pace??

I use this when I go shopping.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Standing and moving around at a leisurely pace probably doesn't burn a lot more calories that sitting at a desk (especially when you consider the "net" difference). Would you log a trip to the mall?
  • Saiklor
    Options
    ^ I appreciate your useful suggestion too!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Look under "laying down". I think they use about the same number of calories.

It would depend on what you were doing while lying down, but if you are lying still then it's not even close.

I agree with the poster that said check out the slowest speed for walking they have. I'd probably log 2 hours of slow walking to account for the time standing still.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Standing and moving around at a leisurely pace probably doesn't burn a lot more calories that sitting at a desk (especially when you consider the "net" difference). Would you log a trip to the mall?

That's my main gripe about calculating calories burned during mundane activities that are just part of life. If you really want to log all this stuff then go ahead I guess.

According to this link you burn an extra 60 calories an hour if you're standing instead of sitting.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/2008/0610-stand_up_for_your_health.htm

If you're actually standing all the time it would be much simpler to just adjust your activity level. I don't know how much is already accounted for in your general setting for you to be standing instead of sitting but I suppose for now just add in a manual adjustment of 60 x 3 for calories burned "standing" if you wish.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes. I track every time I walk to and from the grocerys store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

I think the point is that the difference in calorie burn between what you are doing and what you would normally do is not enough to justify logging it as exercise. Say you burn 60 calories in an hour doing desk work and 75 calories in an hour standing and strolling around an exam room. Over the course of 3 hours, you're only burning an additional 45 calories. But you're going to log 225 (75 calories X 3 hours). That's what he means by "cheating yourself." It's not enough of a departure from your normal routine to track it as though it's going to help you lose weight. In fact, it may lead to weight gain because you're tricking yourself into thinking you're burning more calories than you actually are.

Of course it's your profile, and you are free to track things as you wish, but for the sake of accuracy, it's important to consider the reality of tracking literally everything you do that isn't part of your daily routine.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you just stood, dont. You didnt move enough
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

That's my main gripe about calculating calories burned during mundane activities that are just part of life. If you really want to log all this stuff then go ahead I guess.

According to this link you burn an extra 60 calories an hour if you're standing instead of sitting.

If you're actually standing all the time it would be much simpler to just adjust your activity level. I don't know how much is already accounted for in your general setting for you to be standing instead of sitting but I suppose for now just add in a manual adjustment of 60 x 3 for calories burned "standing" if you wish.

I don't buy that "extra 60 calories an hour" business at all. I know you didn't make that up, but I seriously doubt there is that much of a difference between doing desk work for an hour and standing still for an hour. Maybe if you're an obese man, but not for an average sized woman.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    1) Don't log everyday activity as exercise, as it's been said. That should ALREADY be included in your calorie goals when you set up your diet plan.

2) Since you're curious, standing gives about a 30% boost in metabolism over sitting. And walking about another 30% boost over standing.

From a metabolic chamber study of an average weight 30something dood, sleeping was .8cal/min, awake and working at a desk was 2cal/min. Standing was 3cal/min and walking was 4cal/min.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options

I don't buy that "extra 60 calories an hour" business at all. I know you didn't make that up, but I seriously doubt there is that much of a difference between doing desk work for an hour and standing still for an hour. Maybe if you're an obese man, but not for an average sized woman.
    it's been measured from metabolic chamber studies. it's accurate I assure you. if you're wondering why, feel your lower back when you're standing. Your core is engaged to keep you upright. Sitting it is not. Muscles firing = metabolic activity.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I don't buy that "extra 60 calories an hour" business at all.
    Right. See my first comment. I was just trying to be helpful but I seriously doubt that the difference is worth logging at all. Just my 2 cents.
This discussion has been closed.