How do I track standing?

Options

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Considering how much my body hurts after standing for long periods of time (more than 2 hours), I consider it exercise and most OTHER sites do as well. http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi says I burn 397 standing for 3 hours vs 253 sitting at a computer. I'd use the difference. Everything you do outside your normal daily routine counts. Especially when you're just beginning. For some of us, that walk to the mailbox used to seem 160 miles and just putting the dishes away was a battle. :)

Hurting =/= sore from exercise. Maybe you just need better shoes or something, or a back exam. :|
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Using the calculator I used to use for my activity that I used before I got a heart rate monitor, standing would burn about 175 more calories in 3 hours for my weight then sitting, so it's not much, but if you want to log it you can try this calculator.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php (click on activity calculator)
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: Not sure if this is a joke :indifferent:

Go have that doughnut, I'm sure you worked up a sweat with all that standing. Seriously, I hope you're eating at a sedentary level. That is NOT exercise or anything that will help your body reach a goal.

I cannot believe I am even responding. MFP needs a facepalm "smiley".
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Look under "laying down". I think they use about the same number of calories.

No it wouldn't and that's an ignorant assumption.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and log it ... when you come back and want to know why you're not losing any weight a couple weeks from now, the 'jerks' will tell you you're logging things as exercise that aren't.

Jerks are gonna jerk, really. But you're cheating yourself by logging a leisurely activity as exercise no matter how you slice it.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I just yawned. How much should I log? :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    you'd burn more calories standing on your head.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I just yawned. How much should I log? :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

Was it a big yawn? lol
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Ever heard of the FITBIT. You should look into that. Then you won't have to worry so much about logging the little things. The fitbit automatically uploads it for you. PROBLEM SOLVED
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    Try this link: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Standing burns about 107 calories and hour, give or take, depending on your weight.
  • mrsvatitagain
    mrsvatitagain Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You absolutely do burn calories for standing without much movement. If its out of your normal daily activity, for example I log when I teach calss in the evening as it is not my normal 8-5 job where I am sitting most of the day and its not something I do everyday. Do a search there is a webiste that accounts for standing/teaching/counsling, use that and then manually log it. I usually only use half of it because it is a n overestimate in my opnion, but thats all it is, is my opinion. Be encouraged!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Only if "tone" is more important to you than "truth".

But the OP already made up her mind. Standing is exercise and she won't hear any different. Why would she need to listen to anyone? She knows exactly what she's doing. I just don't understand why people who only want a certain answer ask a question in the first place?
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    If I were you I wouldn't log it, I would just know in the back of my mind that I probably burned some extra calories and could maybe treat myself to a snack. When you open up threads like this, you open yourself up for some criticism so I wouldn't bother calling out the "jerks" - just take your lumps along with the help.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    My husband logs it as "Standing and Talking". He tracks everything too -- he loses weight QUICK (give me that problem, please), so if he doesn't eat back all of his "exercise" calories, he'll start to lose -- slowly, but still a loss.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Keeping your body upright does burn slightly more calories than sitting. But it's not enough to make a difference in the amount of calories you should be eating for the day, unless you normally spend most of your waking hours on your feet. It also isn't "exercise" so I wouldn't log it.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

Only if "tone" is more important to you than "truth".

But the OP already made up her mind. Standing is exercise and she won't hear any different. Why would she need to listen to anyone? She knows exactly what she's doing. I just don't understand why people who only want a certain answer ask a question in the first place?

Considering she was asking on HOW to log it not whether she SHOULD log it should have been an indicitive clue that opinions on whether or not she should would be ignored.
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.

http://atvb.ahajournals.org/content/26/4/729.long

Per this non-anecdotal, non-"gut feeling," non-bro-science, actual, peer-reviewed science, you can burn up to 350 additional Calories per day JUST by standing instead of sitting for 2.5 hours. That's up to 1 pounds of fat lost per ten days. I don't think she's "cheating" or logging BS. Maybe she's just better (more precise) at logging than you. YMMV :)

Nicely put!
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to my BMR because I don't work every day, but when I do, I stand for a solid 5 hours or more, which DOES burn more calories than sitting (For anyone who doubts this, just look at the description for light activity!). I went onto a website that helps you track absolutely every "exercise" you could possibly think of, including standing, and for an 8 hour shift at work it says I can burn up to 900 cals. I do not eat all of the calories back, as it seems VERY high, but I do track some of it, because eating just your BMR when you have been standing and strolling all day is too low.
  • cgsr
    cgsr Posts: 113
    Options
    For the future, since you track everything, I would consider buying a heart rate monitor and when you deviate from your normal routine (i.e. standing for three hours) use it to track the calories. The calorie estimates here are off, IMO, and while none of this is exact science and all a big estimate, its a bit more reliable/accurate
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Try this link: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Standing burns about 107 calories and hour, give or take, depending on your weight.
    inaccurate. That site overestimates exercise calories and underestimates BMR.

As I and couple others have said, standing burns 1cal/min over sitting. this has been measured in a metabolic chamber, which is 100% accurate. Unlike heartrate monitors or guestimates based on MET surveys. There will be some varience based on bodysize. But the rule is you can expect ~30% increase to your metabolism when you stand up over sit.
This discussion has been closed.