How do I track standing?

Options

Replies

• jazz161
    jazz161 Posts: 11
    Options
    I go to a calorie counter online that actually has standing. like the one impish gave you. Then i would log in a custom exercise. When i have extra long shifts at work that are about 10 hours, i log 10 hours of walking slow since I am constantly walking around to serve customers. And to the guy who calls it not exercising.... it is. Even though the body is used to it, she is still burning calories. If that was the case people would not walk 20 minutes a day in order to lose weight and stay healthy. And honestly to the people who put in little dumb comments about yawning, if thats all your going to say, then dont comment at all. Unless you did it to burn calories and move your fingers. Your on here to lose weight and get encouragement from others not post unnecessary comments. Grow up.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying here - if you normally have your activity level at sedentary, logging everything makes sense to me. Good for you. I'd do that, but I'm too lazy to pay that much attention to detail so I just keep it at lightly active.

Snark doesn't burn calories - LOL. Snarkarobics.

Suggestions for slowest walking are great, but without a heart rate monitor it's pretty difficult to say what exercise is super similar. I'd almost think that stretching or something would be similar because it's slow intentional movement that doesn't increase your heart rate too much.

No matter what you log, the big ticket intake and out cals are what are really going to make a difference, so don't stress to much about something little. You're doing great!
  • JoniRiaya
    JoniRiaya Posts: 79
    Options
    Everyone seems to assume that she is wanting to log the exercise so she can eat more but she didn't say that. I think that any movement is better than non movement and if logging movement helps you to be more active than it seems like a good motivator to me. Personally I have a fitbit which helps me move more everyday to see my calories burned get higher. I don't eat those calories except those from true exercise but I like to see how active I can be. Maybe I'm wrong about the OP but seems to me she is doing the same thing just without the fitbit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless it's for the purpose of eating the calories back to maintain the deficit that is ALREADY included in your daily goal, it really doesn't matter.

If you do eat back properly, don't count this at all - as this is just more daily activity that is mainly fat burning, and do you really want to replenish that?
    Most of your deficit comes exactly from this type of stuff, daily activity you aren't refeeding, you only feed the workouts or majority of the burn from it.
    Even your walking such brief amounts is considered within sedentary activity level.

For the time standing walking that slowly, about 1.5 x your BMR / 24 x 3. Or BMR x 0.1875
    That of course includes the calories you would have burned otherwise sleeping.
    If you literally want how many extra calories did that burned compared to sleeping - BMR * 0.0625.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I burn about 56 calories an hour just from existing. So, assuming standing "burns" 100 calories an hour, the real burn is probably about 46 (for me). Not substantial enough, honestly. I'd rather take the extra 120 calories worth of fat lost than eat a 120 cal snack
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    For the future, since you track everything, I would consider buying a heart rate monitor and when you deviate from your normal routine (i.e. standing for three hours) use it to track the calories. The calorie estimates here are off, IMO, and while none of this is exact science and all a big estimate, its a bit more reliable/accurate

Sadly a HRM is only going to have any decent accuracy for activity calorie burns actually in the steady state aerobic zone, about 90-160 bpm.
    I doubt standing or moving slightly would get much over 10 bpm over resting HR.

http://www.braydenwm.com/cal_vs_hr_ref_paper.pdf
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    dbates you came off as an *kitten*.
    Point noted. I freely accept criticism as part of helpful instruction.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For the future, since you track everything, I would consider buying a heart rate monitor and when you deviate from your normal routine (i.e. standing for three hours) use it to track the calories. The calorie estimates here are off, IMO, and while none of this is exact science and all a big estimate, its a bit more reliable/accurate

I'm not sure a HRM would record accurately for standing. My understanding is that they are meant to track calories used during aerobic activity. While standing may burn more than sitting or lying down, it's not going to reach an aerobic level.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My normal Monday to Friday job is sitting behind a desk all, but during the rugby season I work behind a bar standing and pacing for up to 6/8 hours I log purely to log it as its outside my usual routine, and burns more than being sat on my backside! The only thing I found when I entered standing was fishing I sometimes use that log BUT only log about a 1/4 for example 60 mins says 227 so if I've worked 6 hours I'll log an hour maybe hour and a half I don't however eat them back! Hope this helps x
  • jgunn81
    jgunn81 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

*flashes back to every ex-gf that told me this*

lmao
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.

$100 says she counts Cooking, too.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Since you normally have your activity level at sedentary, I can understand wanting to log the walking you did while proctoring the exam. Perhaps you can use the slowest pace of walking available, but I would only enter what you realistically think you walked while pacing up and down the ailse. It may not be much, but heck.....a Mich Ultra is only 74 calories and I'd proctor an exam for that! :drinker:
    2143661 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna try and figure out how many cals I burn when I'm trying to push a tough crap out of my corn hole. Has to be a good ab work out at the very least!
  • ImpishScoundrel
    Options
    Try this link: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Standing burns about 107 calories and hour, give or take, depending on your weight.
    inaccurate. That site overestimates exercise calories and underestimates BMR.

As I and couple others have said, standing burns 1cal/min over sitting. this has been measured in a metabolic chamber, which is 100% accurate. Unlike heartrate monitors or guestimates based on MET surveys. There will be some varience based on bodysize. But the rule is you can expect ~30% increase to your metabolism when you stand up over sit.

Well, this site must really go overboard on the over estimates: http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm

The woman wanted some information so I gave her a link. What she does with the information is up to her. I'm not here to judge, criticize, or offer my inexperienced opinion on the subject.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to assume that she is wanting to log the exercise so she can eat more but she didn't say that. I think that any movement is better than non movement and if logging movement helps you to be more active than it seems like a good motivator to me. Personally I have a fitbit which helps me move more everyday to see my calories burned get higher. I don't eat those calories except those from true exercise but I like to see how active I can be. Maybe I'm wrong about the OP but seems to me she is doing the same thing just without the fitbit.

This is a good point, and why I think so many of the "eat more" crowd proclaim that MFP is wrong in the number of calories it gives. I happen to believe that MFP is fairly accurate if used correctly. If you have your activity level set to sedentary, then you should be logging all activity beyond sedentary to correctly use the tool. And when you log those activities you will be told to eat more. If you don't log them, MFP will not tell you eat more. Not because the tool is wrong, but because you didn't use the tool correctly.
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    That's not anything I wouldn't do it!
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't track it at all because I feel that it is a bonus activity that you can say later oh I ate too much, but wait I also walked around for 3 hrs so I'm fine.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Would you log a trip to the mall?
    If you normally have your activity level at sedentary, why wouldn't you log walking around the mall as *some* exercise? What's the difference if she's walking leisurely in a classroom, at the mall, or on a treadmill?
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Wow, the jerks are out in full force today.

I am not trying to cheat myself, I'm trying to be honest about what I did today, as I am every day. I track every time I walk to and from campus, even though it's only 20 minutes each way. I track every time I walk to and from the grocery store, even though it's only 15 mins each way. I TRACK EVERYTHING which is a departure from my normal daily routine, I don't believe that is "cheating." Standing and strolling around for three hours is a departure from my normal routine of sitting at a computer for eight hours straight; as such, I am trying to track it. Maybe this isn't how you'd do your tracking, but I'm looking for help not snarky comments.

If you actually have evidence that standing is the same number of calories as sitting or lying down then SHOW ME THAT and I'll reconsider.

If all you have is a mean attitude, then take it elsewhere. Nobody cares for it here and I'm pretty sure that snark doesn't burn calories.

Walking is not the same as standing. If you walk to class every day, you shouldn't log that as exercise. It's your daily routine, your body is used to it so it's not making you any fitter.

Now if you told me that sometimes you at least power walked or ran a few miles a week, that's exercise. But what you do day in and day out, that's not.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but you can't call me a jerk for telling you how it is. Even if you don't like the answer.

Standing is not something you should count. If it is, maybe you should count watching tv too.

$100 says she counts Cooking, too.

lol
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Standing and moving around at a leisurely pace probably doesn't burn a lot more calories that sitting at a desk (especially when you consider the "net" difference). Would you log a trip to the mall?

Apparently the person above you would.

How sad :/
This discussion has been closed.