How do I track standing?

Options

Replies

• shellsrenee01
    shellsrenee01 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    This thread made me curious about standing vs sitting (I only read to page 2, so I don't know what might have been on pages 3-?).

I have an app with all sorts of "activities" on it and standing/sitting just happen to be on there.

With my weight (242) and 3 hours of standing, it indicates I would burn 432.22 calories during that time frame.
    If I were to sit (resting) for the same amount of time, I would burn 345.77.

The difference is less than 100 calories.

For me, personally, I wouldn't log the standing. It isn't a big enough difference from sitting.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thank you Saiklor for posting this. :wink: I support your wanting to understand and learn more about the most effective way to log in your progress. So I will contribute to your topic in a more "positive manner".

This community is to be a place of learning, educating yourself to a more healthier lifestyle. It is a place where others can make MFP friends who are on the same journey. To "BE" an "Inspiration", to help "motivate", to "encourage others", to "cheer" and applaud each others successes. :flowerforyou:

♦♦ I cannot believe all of the negative & obnoxiousness comments that MFP folks have left on your topic!!! I am so disgusted with ALL the "Egotistical MR. & MS I know it all!" { specifically mrmanmeat :devil: }
    Some of you need more than just a change in your physical appearance....maybe a visit to a Physiologist....to fix, heal your emotional being. I would suggest to swallow a pill that will help your issues of being so cocky, rude, and disrespectful called
    "HUMBLE". :laugh:

Oh, the word I am look for is called "Narcissistic personality disorder" (NPD) is a personality disorder.
    I now that some of you, who make these inappropriate, negative and uneducated comments on the MFP forum do not take it upon yourself to research, educate and learn new ways of doing things.
    So I took it upon myself, for your benefit, to find what a "Narcissistic personality disorder" means. It is, in which the individual is described as being excessively preoccupied with issues of personal adequacy both physical and emotional, power, prestige and vanity. It appears that the exact same individuals that you find in a gym and also on MFP!!! ♦♦

It appears that some of you take the MFP exercise "database" as the only source of how many calories are to be burned on a particular activity or exercise.
    It would be a positive for those of you to "EDUCATE & RESEARCH" before speaking any of your 'OPINIONS AND COMMENTS".

With that all being said and to put those in they're place......

I just wanted to share a new discovery I made yesterday. I found a Free Android App & iphone App called
    "Calories Burned Calculator".

I was amazed on how many different activities that it had. It includes "Standing",
    "Standing while singing" (for those who sing in they're church choir), "Sitting", "Sleeping"

It even has for Pole dancing, All aerobics, Pilates, Tae Bo, Kinect XBOX 360 (Dance Central), WII workout games, All of the DVD's for Billy Blanks, Bob Harper, Biggest Loser, Chalean Extreme Workout, Denise Austin, Insanity, Jillian Michaels, Kim Kardashian, Leslie Sanson, Les Mills, P90X & P90X2, Paul Katami, Tapout XT workouts, Turbo Fire, Zumba. If ya'll did not know about it...check it out! It is very helpful and has more than the MFP exercises. You will have to set the calculator to your current weight. Everyone will burn a different amount of calories based on they’re weight.

I was amazed for myself that sleeping for 8 hours is 480 minutes=695 calories burned.
    Sitting at the computer/studying 1 hr=218 calories burned.

So thank you, for helping me burn all of these calories it took to sit here and respond to helping "Saiklor" with an answer to her questions. I hope that this will also help others who are also looking for another source to record the calories that you burn in ALL of your daily activities.

Nice Post !
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have a disability and have been very sedentary for quite some time. Today I enthusiastically started this program hoping that an earnest commitment to diet and movement - particularly one that included your camaraderie, commiseration, and community support - would help me regain some fitness and quality of life. I am absolutely gobsmacked at the number of snide, mean, and inappropriate comments posted. I quit.

Don't let this thread put you off there really is a lot of support and great advice on MFP I personally couldn't have got this far without it. You just have to sort the wheat from the chaff. I have a wonderfully supportive group of friends who help me and cheer for me all the way.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I get that people are going to do what they want to, regardless of what everyone else tells them, but when you ask for opinions, that's what you're going to get. If you only want to hear that everything you are doing is 100% correct, this is not the place to ask.
    I agree with you about only logging actual work-outs. That's what I do, too, but, I don't care what other people choose to log. I don't think she was asking for advice on *IF* she should log this, as much as she was asking *HOW*.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Good grief. Do people only read the title when commenting in a thread? She walked around the room while proctoring the exam, when she would normally have just been sitting at her desk. She was looking to log "standing" only because she did more of that than walking. It is exercise that she normally doesn't have during her work day. You may not think it's *great* exercise because you're all bad @ss gym rats, but she wanted to log this. Why so mad?

Yes but I still think even with leisurely strolling about the room on and off for 3 hours the calorie output would be minimal and she would be cheating herself to log it!! As it is MFP overestimates our calories burned through exercise. IMO this would be over-estimating what you burned for the day.

OP - are you set at sedentary or lightly active?

Very early on in this thread she stated her activity level was set on sedentary - the lowest possible. That's what she was trying to say as she was being bashed for asking a question.

Well as it is still minimal expenditure, for me, I would not log it. It's just wiggle room in case I under estimated on my calories consumed for the day. If it becomes routine to proctor tests....as I stated before I would consider changing my activity level to lightly active.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Dear America, this is why you're fat.

Seriously? Pacing around a room for a couple hours is log-worthy? I'm not assuming that she wants to eat the cals back, but I find it heard to believe that in a testing room atmosphere, she moved fast enough to add even ONE heat beat per minute. I'm not trying to be mean, but people, be realistic.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options

I get that people are going to do what they want to, regardless of what everyone else tells them, but when you ask for opinions, that's what you're going to get. If you only want to hear that everything you are doing is 100% correct, this is not the place to ask.

I'm confused, where did she ask for an opinion? She asked HOW to do something... not whether she should.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have a disability and have been very sedentary for quite some time. Today I enthusiastically started this program hoping that an earnest commitment to diet and movement - particularly one that included your camaraderie, commiseration, and community support - would help me regain some fitness and quality of life. I am absolutely gobsmacked at the number of snide, mean, and inappropriate comments posted. I quit.

Quitting the site is, of course, your choice. But, this is to be expected on any www internet forum. You can choose people that you find supportive and add them as friends and avoid the forums, if you so choose. Or you can ignore or block the people you don't like and only respond to or read those you do.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I'm pretty amused by this now.

I'm also highly amused that people get so VICIOUS about this.

I asked a simple question, how many calories above the sitting/sedentary lifestyle I usually live does 3 hours of standing/strolling burn. I didn't even mention that the exam room is a giant theatre so I climbed about 2 flights worth of stairs maybe 15-20 times too!

And somewhere amidst the info this has clearly become a conversation about what constitutes "exercise" (I'd like to again harken to my original post where I both avoided the word exercise AND placed the word activity in quotation marks to draw attention to my loose use of it).

Exercise is of course a touchy subject as we are generally from a society that has issues with fitness and exercise. Just look at the rants around the forums by people who HATE lazy work-out people at gyms, who HATE girls who "stroll" and call it walking. Just look at this thread and realize that people have go-to items to complain about and say are NOT exercise (cooking, sleeping, watching Maury, the list goes on...) and think that tracking small stuff is laughable, that only power-walking or running marathons "counts."

What's the real issue here? I realize now that it's not actually that I asked how to track calories for standing, that was merely the catalyst for a conversation about what it means to exercise, to be a person exercising, and how we exclude people from that group.

Fascinating how a group of people, obese and overweight as most of us are, work SO QUICKLY to mock, ridicule, and exclude people based on small things they do or fail to do. And notice how some of the posts appeal to the other posters to agree with them. The "I bet she counts cooking too" post stands out to me as particularly noteworthy.

Mocking. Abusing. Belittling. And above all excluding.

I guess we learned something to do SOMETHING from the attitudes of certain segment of the skinny population after all! Some of you have found your way to finally be part of the "in" group!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Try this link: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Standing burns about 107 calories and hour, give or take, depending on your weight.
    inaccurate. That site overestimates exercise calories and underestimates BMR.

As I and couple others have said, standing burns 1cal/min over sitting. this has been measured in a metabolic chamber, which is 100% accurate. Unlike heartrate monitors or guestimates based on MET surveys. There will be some varience based on bodysize. But the rule is you can expect ~30% increase to your metabolism when you stand up over sit.

Wow! This thread really seems to put people on one side of the fence or the other (fence jumping=45 cal).

I think both of these numbers are the same. 107 cal/hour.....minus BMR....probably puts us around the 60 or so people seem to be agreeing on. Of course that's nowhere near the 350 from that "nonbroscience study" the one gentleman posted.

So lets use the 60. For 3 hours that's 180, which is one handful of peanuts. This crazy long thread is over a handful of peanuts. THAT'S why we're saying don't log it. The variance is too small. Easily within the margin of error of all the other things you are tracking. Was your banana exactly 8 inches and did you eat that last bruised bite at the bottom? Did they fill your coffee all the way to the brim or did they leave more space than usual for cream and sugar? Was there an extra tomato on your salad? Did you eat those fries at the bottom of the bag?

Trying to get credit for 150-180 calories is asking for trouble, especially if you're a female with a 1300-1550 daily range. That's a 15% bump for someone with a very tiny window. Just because we think this is a bad idea doesn't make us jerks. There's plenty of reasons that I'm a jerk but not logging standing isn't one of them.
  • macpatti
    Options
    Mystery solved, America!!!!! Now we know whey we're fat. Because, you know, all of America is fat. :huh:
  • Saiklor
    Options
    I'm Canadian?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty amused by this now.

I'm also highly amused that people get so VICIOUS about this.

I asked a simple question, how many calories above the sitting/sedentary lifestyle I usually live does 3 hours of standing/strolling burn. I didn't even mention that the exam room is a giant theatre so I climbed about 2 flights worth of stairs maybe 15-20 times too!

And somewhere amidst the info this has clearly become a conversation about what constitutes "exercise" (I'd like to again harken to my original post where I both avoided the word exercise AND placed the word activity in quotation marks to draw attention to my loose use of it).

Exercise is of course a touchy subject as we are generally from a society that has issues with fitness and exercise. Just look at the rants around the forums by people who HATE lazy work-out people at gyms, who HATE girls who "stroll" and call it walking. Just look at this thread and realize that people have go-to items to complain about and say are NOT exercise (cooking, sleeping, watching Maury, the list goes on...) and think that tracking small stuff is laughable, that only power-walking or running marathons "counts."

What's the real issue here? I realize now that it's not actually that I asked how to track calories for standing, that was merely the catalyst for a conversation about what it means to exercise, to be a person exercising, and how we exclude people from that group.

Fascinating how a group of people, obese and overweight as most of us are, work SO QUICKLY to mock, ridicule, and exclude people based on small things they do or fail to do. And notice how some of the posts appeal to the other posters to agree with them. The "I bet she counts cooking too" post stands out to me as particularly noteworthy.

Mocking. Abusing. Belittling. And above all excluding.

I guess we learned something to do SOMETHING from the attitudes of certain segment of the skinny population after all! Some of you have found your way to finally be part of the "in" group!

Here here <applauds loudly>
  • macpatti
    Options
    I'm Canadian?
    Awesome! I just love all the ASSumptions in this thread!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Try this link: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

Standing burns about 107 calories and hour, give or take, depending on your weight.
    inaccurate. That site overestimates exercise calories and underestimates BMR.

As I and couple others have said, standing burns 1cal/min over sitting. this has been measured in a metabolic chamber, which is 100% accurate. Unlike heartrate monitors or guestimates based on MET surveys. There will be some varience based on bodysize. But the rule is you can expect ~30% increase to your metabolism when you stand up over sit.

Wow! This thread really seems to put people on one side of the fence or the other (fence jumping-45 cal).

I think both of these numbers are the same. 107 cal/hour.....minus BMR....probably puts us around the 60 or so people seem to be agreeing on. Of course that's nowhere near the 350 from that "nonbroscience study" the one gentleman posted.

So lets use the 60. For 3 hours that's 180, which is one handful of peanuts. This crazy long thread is over a handful of peanuts. THAT'S why we're saying don't log it. The variance is too small. Easily within the margin of error of all the other things you are tracking. Was your banana exactly 8 inches and did eat that last bruised bite at the bottom? Did they fill your coffee all the way to the brim or did they leave more space than usual for cream and sugar? Did you eat those fries at the bottom of the bag?

Trying to get credit for 150-180 calories is asking for trouble, especially if you're a female with a 1300-1550 daily range. That's a 15% bump for someone with a very tiny window. Just because we think this is a bad idea doesn't make us jerks. There's plenty of reasons that I'm a jerk but not logging standing isn't one of them.

Except she didn't ask whether or not anyone thought it was a bad idea.... why is this hard for so many people to understand? Your (in a general sense) opinion is wasted on deaf ears because SHE DIDN'T ASK FOR YOUR OPINION ON WHETHER OR NOT SHE SHOULD LOG IT!!!! So why can't people just quit being narcissist and asserting their opinion when it wasn't asked for?
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Mystery solved, America!!!!! Now we know whey we're fat. Because, you know, all of America is fat. :huh:

No, you're right, not all. Jut a very unhealthy percentage of the population. OPs way of thinking is just the same as mine was when I was one of the millions of obese Americans. Then I realized that pacing isn't exercise, and things got better for me.

EDIT- In light of realizing that OP is Canadian, I'm sorry that our epidemic is finding it's way north.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    *kitten* galore...can't believe some of you are still on this...get over yourselves
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    Is this a joke? I'm sorry but there are so many people posting "fake" questions that I can't keep straight what is a joke and what is not.
  • Saiklor
    Options
    I....I'm still Canadian......you may have heard of it? It's sometimes called "America's hat"....?

edit: and still amused that people don't read the threads before posting their 2cents. :-)
  • phoenix3050
    Options
    Standing burns about 50 calories an hour (more than sitting)...or so I read. You can add it as a new entry. I had to do that with a new Wii game.

Happy logging! :)
This discussion has been closed.