So you exercise to eat?

Options

Replies

• lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    . Do you really work up a sweat strolling through the mall????

Some people do, yes. If you have 150 pounds to lose any amount of walking is a benefit and I for one would log it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh boy! Based on the reaming people are getting for posting on the "How many calories do I get for standing" thread, I really think you're sticking your head in the hornets nest here. Best of luck, but you're on your own. I barely have any *kitten* left after getting it chewed off for posting in that other thread.

DavPul burned 45 calories doing 20 minutes of internet trolling, including "*kitten* Chewed".
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I've never run a 5K race where donuts were handed out at the finish......where do sign up for one??

There is a 5k around here that you have to run half, eat 4 doughnuts, run the next half and then eat 4 more.

hell to the NO.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ohhhhhhh boy! Based on the reaming people are getting for posting on the "How many calories do I get for standing" thread, I really think you're sticking your head in the hornets nest here. Best of luck, but you're on your own. I barely have any *kitten* left after getting it chewed off for posting in that other thread.

DavPul burned 45 calories doing 20 minutes of internet trolling, including "*kitten* Chewed".

lmao, if you got 45 calories I should have about 300 by now!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If people ask for opinions or advice, I'm not going to give them some candy-filled nonsense about how great they're doing when they're doing something stupid, like logging that they drove for a few hours and justifying it by saying they don't normally drive for more than 20 minutes a day. Sure, I get that it's their diary, and they're allowed to do what they want. And if they're going to post a question about how reasonable it is, I'm allowed to tell them what I think. Imagine if the only commentary we ever got when we asked people for advice was of the postive, you're-on-the-right-path variety. We'd all be doing a lot of really stupid things and wondering why we never get anywhere. I understand the need for tact and civility, but this is, after all, the Internet.
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    OK. Here's what's REALLY comical to me. Check out the OP's food notes!!!!

I spent the night at Joe's which means I skipped breakfast. I tried so hard to look at the other menu options and pick something better...but I was craving a burger. Now to go workout and burn at least 620 calories!
    I expected my carrabba's left overs to be about 500-600 calories...I need to learn to find out before I eat it! Guess I have a lot of working out to do!

Looks like you've done your share of it too, Little Miss Judgealot.
  • ShrinkingShawna
    ShrinkingShawna Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    As I didn't walk for 3 years, I log my 5 minute walks. It's a big freakin deal to me to be able to walk at all. I personally don't eat back exercise calories, and I certainly don't log for anyone else. WHEN I get strong enough to clean my house again, you bet your *kitten* I'm going to log it. I really don't care what the calories burned say, I care that I'm actually moving on my own. It must be nice to have such a perfect log, and brag about your weight loss. I wish I was losing weight....
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I'm confused why this upsets you. To me, the WHOLE POINT of tracking calories eaten and burned is to learn to see the relationship between them and figure out a healthy amount to be eating. When I was starting, it became clear to me in a way it never was before what that run or walk or hike or whatever meant in terms of fueling my body properly. Let people use it like they want to in a way that feels right for them without making them feel bad or lazy. Geez.
  • tiamaria3
    tiamaria3 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    :noway: :drinker:
  • paint_it_black
    paint_it_black Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite though is when people track obnoxious calories and I see things like " xxxx burned 987 calories, cleaning"

WTF?! what kinda of CRAZZZZY cleaning sessions are you doing?

RIGHT?! I had a friend (past tense, she eventually got deleted for pulling those shenanigans) who claimed she burned 1,100 from FOOD PREPARATION! Unless she was doing cartwheels and running around the house while the water boiled, I highly doubt the burn was that high.

It depends what she's making and how long for, i regularly use a heavy pestle and mortar in the kitchen and end up with sore upper arms as a result, ditto with whisking eggs or any sort of heavy butchery work. Real cooking has a bit more to it than boiling water.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    If people ask for opinions or advice, I'm not going to give them some candy-filled nonsense about how great they're doing when they're doing something stupid, like logging that they drove for a few hours and justifying it by saying they don't normally drive for more than 20 minutes a day. Sure, I get that it's their diary, and they're allowed to do what they want. And if they're going to post a question about how reasonable it is, I'm allowed to tell them what I think. Imagine if the only commentary we ever got when we asked people for advice was of the postive, you're-on-the-right-path variety. We'd all be doing a lot of really stupid things and wondering why we never get anywhere. I understand the need for tact and civility, but this is, after all, the Internet.

Can you even burn calories driving? It's sitting down reclining... If all the truck drivers out there burned calories driving they wouldn't all be (most of them.. my hubby is one and isn't) so chubby!

I agree that logging something like that is stupid.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    agree
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    OK. Here's what's REALLY comical to me. Check out the OP's food notes!!!!

I spent the night at Joe's which means I skipped breakfast. I tried so hard to look at the other menu options and pick something better...but I was craving a burger. Now to go workout and burn at least 620 calories!
    I expected my carrabba's left overs to be about 500-600 calories...I need to learn to find out before I eat it! Guess I have a lot of working out to do!

Looks like you've done your share of it too, Little Miss Judgealot.

She seems to "crave a burger" daily. She earned it though, by "trying really hard to look at other menu options".
  • emmygrace2012
    emmygrace2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's my personal rant. And NO it's not about you! But if you feel like it's about you then someone has probably thought it about you ;)

If you are tracking EVERYTHING you do (shopping, walking the 4 houses down to visit your neighbor, etc) then you are exercising to eat. You are trying to gain that extra calorie not so you can be "correct" or "accurate" but so you can sqeeze that hersey's kiss out of the day! Let it go!

Oh, and yeah, you can go running without a HRM. You'll survive if you don't know exactly how long or how far we ran. It was only about 20 mins, it wasn't a half marathon in which you actually burned significant calories that make you need to eat more. Also, please stop talking about the donut shop at the end of the 5K race...you (especially since you took so many freaking walk breaks) can't complain you're not losing weight when you get a donut every freaking time we're done with a run.

It's one thing to know you are going to your brother's B-day party and are probably going to eat more so you do an extra workout that morning...but when you live every day of your life based on whether or not you can track the calories for your workout or what you are eating then you're not living.

And lastly...please stop getting mad at me when I tell you I've lost more weight when you ask me how I'm doing. I've told you how I do it and you refuse to believe that eating to fuel your body will help you lose weight. Oh, FYI...I haven't worked out in 3 days and the scale is down another pound...but I'll wait to tell you when you ask me Friday and tell I can tell you its down 2 pounds!

What an odd thing to post about. Why would you care? You do yours, they'll do theirs, I'll do mine and we'll all live happily ever after. Do you see where I'm going with this, OP?

amen. Why does it matter when you're successful and dedicated to journaling for your personal (stressing the PERSONAL) fitness?
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I barely have any *kitten* left after getting it chewed off for posting in that other thread.
    Well, when you tell people that to log a 150-180 calorie burn is "only asking for trouble", I would think so!
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    oops.
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    "I barely have any *kitten* left after getting it chewed off for posting in that other thread."

HEY! That should be *my* line!
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I barely have any *kitten* left after getting it chewed off for posting in that other thread.
    Well, when you tell people that to log a 150-180 calorie burn is "only asking for trouble", I would think so!

*Sniff* I have to work really hard for my burns.
  • emmygrace2012
    emmygrace2012 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea...less B!tch!ng...more sweating.
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    I follow people here who I don't judge and they don't judge me. If I only log 5 minutes for walking to the car, they won't create a post and rant about me. If they do, I will call them on it. But than I probably won't log 5 minutes for walking to the car since I don't even always log the 20 minutes i walk from the train to work (depends, some days I do if I walked really fast.) *stop digressing*

The point is, what's with the passive-aggressiveness. Talk to them about it if they are your friend. If it's in your timeline, you have the ability to leave a comment on that post. Maybe they don't really know what they are doing and would benefit from your guidance? I am not just addressing the OP but everyone who posted here with similar rants. I guess i am ranting about the ranters, huh. *moving on*

Okay, so live and let live. Help each other out because we succeed when we help others succeed.